Cedar Walton, Hank Mobley - Breakthrough!

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions tend to vary on this one. I like it very much myself, but be forwarned that Hank doesn't play on every cut. Sits out on 2. and on a third, his solo is relatively short. as per the arrangement.

However, on the 3 that he DOES stretch out on...memerizing. Not pretty, necessarily, but emotionally gripping in the extreme. His "last gasp", so to speak, at least as a fully functional player, and pretty darn bloody in terms of the story he's telling.

But that's just me. Like I say, opinions tend to vary.

People tell stories of Keiko Jones holding Elvin up so he could play on his last tour. When I hear Hank's playing on this date, I wish I could reach through my speakers and hold him up. He sounds so much like he's just holding on that I get heartbroken hearing him like this. He does go to town on "Summertime" and maybe sounds like the old Hank in bits.

I would say "not essential", but you do get the added bonus of some killer Charles Davis. Davis makes the date worthwhile for me.

You know as weak as Hank sounds on this, the trio cover of "Theme From Love Story" with Walton on electric piano is weaker. :)

Later,

Kevin

Cedar plays accoustic on "Love Story" (which I kinda dig in this arrangement - nice groove changes, and superbly recorded Sam & Billy to boot), but is on electric on two other tunes, I think ("Sabia" & the "House" one).

Agreed, however, on Charles Davis here. I still go to this one for Hank above all, but Davis is great throughout.

Cedar plays accoustic on "Love Story" (which I kinda dig in this arrangement - nice groove changes, and superbly recorded Sam & Billy to boot), but is on electric on two other tunes, I think ("Sabia" & the "House" one).

Agreed, however, on Charles Davis here. I still go to this one for Hank above all, but Davis is great throughout.

Ahh, that's right. It is acoustic on "Love Story"... but still, it is "Love Story"... I gack every time I play this. I usually hit the skip button pretty quick. It might have something to do with the fact that I've actually seen "Love Story". :)

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I have most of this one on the OOP Camden Cedar Walton 2CD set. I've always liked it - second the comment about Hank's playing. He's putting 120% in there, the ideas and sense of purpose are first rate but the lungs are right at their limit. 'On the edge' sums it up pretty well - not the greatest Mobley perhaps but some of the most fascinating.

Agree with Kevin 100% on his assessment. It's not quite as bad as listening to Lester Young when he was ready to go EOT, but it's close. When there's all that great Hank from the 50's and 60's, I just never saw any point in spending any time with this one.

Up over and out.

Jim nailed it on the head, as usual!

My take? If you're a Mobley nut..you probably already own it...if you're becoming a Mobley nut...you'll kick yourself in the head if you don't get it...if you're a casual Mobley listener...you can most likely live without it...

Hardbop, you won't like it. It was recorded in the 70's, there's electric piano on a couple tracks....

Damn, think I'm going to pull this one out and listen to it now.....

Hardbop, you won't like it. It was recorded in the 70's, there's electric piano on a couple tracks....

Shawn, that's not Hardbop Chris Heaney. Different hardbop, and I don't think he's expressed a huge distaste of electric instruments. So there's no reason to assume he'd hate it.

"If you're a Mobley nut..you probably already own it...if you're becoming a Mobley nut...you'll kick yourself in the head if you don't get it...if you're a casual Mobley listener...you can most likely live without it..." [shawn]

If I didn't need it for reference, this Mobley nut would have no reason to keep it. Most of all, I'd hate to think of anyone getting this as their first Mobley record and thinking that this is what Mobley is all about.

JSngry, what clues do you hear in, say, the Horace Silver And The Jazz Messengers sessions or, say, Hank Mobley Quartet that suggest the way Mobley plays on Breakthrough?

Getting back to Dippin', it's not a bad album and it does not disservice Mobley, but there is so much richer Mobley in so many earlier sessions. When we get to Breakthrough, though, for whatever passion and pathos we find there, he sounds desperate to sound different from himself. Like he wants to be full-fledged member of the club of really hard toned tenors. But that's just not him. True, his sound got a little harder (or at least, less "feathery") when he came back in '63 or right after that, and progressively harder through the mid and late '60s. And the result is okay, even if not as beautiful as '50s and early '60s Mobley. But with Breakthrough the makeover has gone really bad.

Edited by Cornelius