New Andrew Hill???

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's true -  Andrew was in the studio twice in the past week or so, including a session on his birthday (June 30).  Both sessions were quintet with Charles Tolliver, Greg Tardy, John Hebert and Eric McPherson.  That's all I know so far.....

Good googly-moogly... :wacko::excited:

I think that a new Andrew Hill date on Blue Note would be easier for them to sell than the two long OOP sessions from '89 and '90. Among other things, Passing Ships got such strong reviews that they might be able to build on that, or at least a shrewd marketer would try to so so. Of course, I have no idea how well it sold.

Bertrand.

What I meant is that BN already knows how the 1989 and 1990 CDs sold. They don't need to speculate on sales for non-1960s Hill. Maybe they figure that they gave Hill a second chance with BN and it didn't pan out. I think there's a difference in the public's acceptance of new issues by 1960s Hill (Passing Ships, Mosaic Select) and new issues by more recent Hill (Eternal Spirit, etc.).

Clearly, all supposition on my part.

Mike

What I meant is that BN already knows how the 1989 and 1990 CDs sold. They don't need to speculate on sales for non-1960s Hill. Maybe they figure that they gave Hill a second chance with BN and it didn't pan out. I think there's a difference in the public's acceptance of new issues by 1960s Hill (Passing Ships, Mosaic Select) and new issues by more recent Hill (Eternal Spirit, etc.).

Clearly, all supposition on my part.

Mike

I believe that in 1990 Blue Note opted out of a third Andrew Hill release after Eternal Spirit and But Not Farewell combined to sell less than 2,000 copies. At least that is what one jazz label owner who is a huge Hill fan told me.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...