The guitar corner

7/4

I saw one used for 125 a year or so ago. It was a little gnarly looking. If yours is pristine looking, maybe 150 or so? Just a sort of guess on my part.

When you get ready to look at low power tube amps, give me a PM. I've got a few we could talk turkey about, an Epiphone Valve Jr. and a Blackheart.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a Godin classical Thursday afternoon, I've really been jones-ing for a classical for quite a while. Only 400 bills, I'm quite impressed for that price!

That's happy!

It's a full scale classical. 2" wide fingerboard, more than 25" scale length. When I go back to the Tele, the neck feels like a stick. :)

I've got this old 60's-era Tele that's been reshaped, refinished. neck PU replace, and needs fretwork. It also has a beat-up case. A dealer told me (sight un-seen) that even in this condition it might be worth a thousand or two. Is that possible?

Ha, ha. That takes me back. I'm finishing my first book about something totally different and in it I tell a story about in my teens (in the Bronze Age, or back when Moses played himself in The Ten Commandments) somehow diffusing a tense racial situation at a dance at Canarsie H.S. by getting up and playing my ca. 1968 George Harrison Telecaster---complete with maple neck and bulbous solder work (fortunately on the back).

I bought that guitar around 1970 for $110 from old friend Bobby Lenti, and held onto it through the '80s----when a dealer at We Buy Guitars on 48th st. said

"I want it"

Meaning, of course, 'name your price (within reason)'

Being the ever-astute businessman I was and am I let it go for $460, asking $500 and blinking before he could get a sentence out probably. He had to get $800-900 for that guitar, minimum.

Oh well, my profit was still more than 3x what I paid. And I've never been attached to guitars......

I've got this old 60's-era Tele that's been reshaped, refinished. neck PU replace, and needs fretwork. It also has a beat-up case. A dealer told me (sight un-seen) that even in this condition it might be worth a thousand or two. Is that possible?

Ha, ha. That takes me back. I'm finishing my first book about something totally different and in it I tell a story about in my teens (in the Bronze Age, or back when Moses played himself in The Ten Commandments) somehow diffusing a tense racial situation at a dance at Canarsie H.S. by getting up and playing my ca. 1968 George Harrison Telecaster---complete with maple neck and bulbous solder work (fortunately on the back).

I bought that guitar around 1970 for $110 from old friend Bobby Lenti, and held onto it through the '80s----when a dealer at We Buy Guitars on 48th st. said

"I want it"

Being the ever-astute businessman I was and am I let it go for $460, asking $500 and blinking before he could get a sentence out probably. He had to get $800-900 for that guitar, minimum.

Oh well, my profit was still more than 3x what I paid. And I've never been attached to guitars......

Well, then, mine must be worth about 10 grand at this point!

:crazy:

"I want it"

Go ahead, rub it in, why don't you..... :w

"I want it"

Go ahead, rub it in, why don't you..... :w

^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!

I haven't been playing much at all, because I have a roommate now and I'm very self-conscious, can't relax into playing when someone is around. I obviously don't play for others, but myself. I'll get back into playing all my instruments when I have the house to myself again at the end of the summer. When I have been playing guitar it's been my '59 Jazzmaster Thin Skin Reissue, a beautiful guitar that Shawn helped me make more playable recently, or my Martin 00-15.

Edited by jazzbo

I haven't been playing much lately myself. Hopefully this will re-energize me. I've already go "blisters on my fingers". :cool:

I know he wants to sell it, too. You guys have any thoughts on value? I can't find much online. Seems to range from $400-$650.

Edited by BFrank

• 5 months later...

Hope you managed to buy that one Brooks, if you wanted it badly.

I've been going through my guitar and bass collection now that I've spent most of the summer alone and can play without being self-conscious again. I've had an eye to thinning out the herd and will probably be selling about five guitars and two basses this fall and winter.

I find that though I love the different woods and pickups of many of the instruments I have, I really am a Fender guy in electric guitars and basses (and amps) and a Martin guy in acoustics. What I've discovered from the last two months or so of playing:

I'll not part with my two Stratocasters (a Billy Corgan signature Strat, and a Deluxe mahogany strat with Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups and one Humbucker and the S-1 system). They're just both so different and at the same time have the same neck specs and are both great tonal palettes and divergently easy to strum and pick. Between the two there's a world of rock and blues sounds. And I love my '59 Jazzmaster Thin-skin reissue and can't imagine I'd part with it unless my whole financial being were threatened. Just so beautiful, and though I won't call it easy to play, it has a jazzy richness to it and a versatile two pickup switching system where you can set up two distinct volume and tone signatures and switch between them. It also has the same modern neck specs as the Stratocasters I own, so there's little "shock" playing between the three guitars. Action is totally different though. With some work I can get some really "jazz" sounds out of this one with my '59 Bassman Lacquer Tweed Reissue amp.

I bought two Martins in the last three years, first an 00-15, then a D-15S. My first guitar was a D-28 Spruce top bought in '78, and over the years I had a few other makes and models but the Martin seemed to always be the sound and feel in my mind and hands. The two I have now are both all mahogany models and I love the look and tone. They're night and day different in both body size and construction. The 00-15 is so petite and comfortable to play and have that old warm blues tone. The Slot head has the 12 fret neck and the dreadnought size and has that huge warm sound, and also has a Fuhrman pickup under the bridge. Not as easy to play, but man the sound! I just get such a great feeling looking at and handling these things.

And I've gone through my basses and the keepers are my two Deluxe Jazz basses: both are sunburst, one is a maple fretted neck, one a rosewood fretless. They play so well and the active pickups give you a wide range of sounds. I also have a Deluxe Precision, but I just don't enjoy the neck as much, though the sounds from this bass are awesome! Likewise I have an Epiphone Jack Cassidy model (black) that makes great sounds, but I don't enjoy playing it at all in the way I do the Jazz basses.

I'm sold on these American made instruments. I'm lucky to have such a great collection. I wish my house were one big room bigger; I'd love to have a room just dedicated to my guitars, basses (including my contrabass violin), keyboard, amps and two drum kits. I'd love to have them all setup and with space to move about. Maybe some day! I could make that a goal, and change my life I guess!

Hope everyone is enjoying their guitars.

Edited by jazzbo

Glad to see this thread back (Lon/David).

I haven't bought the Parker........yet, but pretty much committed to the seller. I got him down to $500, which seems reasonable. Still aren't many on the market to get a good grip on the "value", but what the hell.

Sounds like quite a nice little collection you've got, Lon. I'm jealous. It's amazing how many variations of the classic Fenders there are. They seem to be constantly tinkering with them.

There's a couple that I'd like to get rid of just to make room in my apt, I'm worried I'll never get enough money out of them....I never use them.

Right, it's hard to get appropriate money, if they have to go you just have to sort of not fret over the price!

plus...I'd have to invest the time into getting rid of them. My day job takes up way too much time.

I play my two Teles, a '52 reissue and a newly refretted '96 MIJ thinline with a S.Duncan humbucker in the neck. Still getting used to the big new frets on the thinline.

...plus a Godin classical that I bought last Winter and of course the microtonal guitar.

Some great guitars. I've a MIM Thinline that is a very nice guitar, but I don't get the sound I want from it.

I know what you mean about the time to sell. I've lots of time on my hands, I should utilize it.

Brooks, sounds like a decent price for a nice guitar!

Some great guitars. I've a MIM Thinline that is a very nice guitar, but I don't get the sound I want from it.

Now that's it's been refretted, I'm thinking about switching the humbucker back to a single coil. A previous owner installed the humbucker, I would need to replace the pickguard as well. I'm not in much of a hurry to do this, it took me six years to get the re-fret!

• 6 months later...

I have just picked up another ES 335 copy. This one made by Jay Turser. I had always thought that Turser's stuff was crap, but that was hearsay.

A guitarist I work with has one, a copy of a ES-175. And it sounds and plays very well. The tuners are kind of on the cheap side though. But for the price it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

I was looking around for a pawn shop semi hollow. Having no luck I ventured onto Ebay, I picked up this Turser JT-133 a couple of days ago (waiting for delivery). If it arrives in the condition it is in the ad, I will be pleased.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

They list for around $500 or less which isn't bad really, but I scored this one for less than $200 plus shipping and it looks mint. Hopefully I will be fortunate to see it not need a setup. I am really anxious rto check it out.

Question: if I was to upgrade the tuners, what would be a good route/brand witout dropping major coin?

By the way if anyone is looking, I have a very nice Tradition Telecaster copy for sale now. Black on black and absolutely mint. Double humbuckers, so if you are looking for that tele twang, this one is different.

Asking $200. Pics available on request, but it is exactly like this one (click on 'black')

http://www.tradition...rd/jr/jr_n.html

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 1 month later...

Wow. I must be blind. Thanks

I wanted to add that I just picked up a Roland JC 90, one of the smaller versions of the huge JC 120.

I used to have the big brother. but it was way more amp than I would ever need. Set at 4, the amp would rattle window panes in the house. A true arena amp classic.

I sold it but began to miss that classic clean chorus.

The 90 is a nice compromise. With two 10"s in it, and rated at 80 watts (40 x 40 stereo) it sounds great. And it weighs a helluva lot less, yet still has casters. Nice design.

Why it isn't named JC -80 escapes me.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux