The guitar corner

7/4

anyone know a source for good priced amp cases (like the ones sold on Ebay).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370637755166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

An example.

I guess I am being overly picky in thinking that a less expensive one can be found. I have considered buying the materials from the wholesaler and doing it myself, but rumor has it there isn't much $ saved that way anyway.

My JC-90 already has casters on it so moving it around isn't that much an issue. It is the protection I am after. I don't want a mic stand or music stand to shift around and poke a hole it the grill and/or speaker.

I was looking at these for affordable cases - Gator. Might be worth checking out.

Finally got it. WELL worth $400, if not much more.

The only negatives I read in the online reviews are from people who want to replace the gold aluminum pick guard (usually with tortoise). Personally, I think it's one of the defining points of the instrument.

JMJM.JPG

[excuse me while I take a "Pipeline" break ...] :cool:

Sweeeeeeet! Surf's up, eh? :cool:

I've had a bunch of Strats over the years (and still have one), but no other Fender models- not even a Tele. So many guitars, so little time. :shrug[1]: Anyway, love the look of those gold anodized guards. Enjoy, my man.

Will do, Jim! Great guitar for the price, that's for sure!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up what I hope won't turn out to be an expensive deal in the end.

I bought a USA made Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...made in '91 the best I can tell. It definitely is noisy. The pots crackle and snap when I turn them. And I think I am in for new tubes soon, if not, certainly a complete tune up. I know it will sound better after it is gone over.

But even then, it plays okay now. But I need to replace the reverb tank, and that doesn't seem to be a real expensive project.

The one observation I have already is how boomy and bottom-endy this amp is, even with the bass and mid range dialed way down and the tone knobs on my guitar adjusted accordingly.

I guess this is a tendency with this model, but with an EQ pedal maybe I can take care of that.

Anyone in here have any experienced with a HRD?

btw I paid $350 out the door at a pawn shop. I have some room to spend on a tune up etc and not be in too deep I hope.

Edited by Greg Waits

In 2 weeks I'll be in Pomeroy, OH at Jorma's Fur Peace guitar camp taking a workshop with the king of the Tele, Bill Kirchen. Never done anything like this before, but it should be a great experience. I just hope I don't embarrass myself too much.

Edited by BFrank

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure others have run into this problem. I'm having trouble with the high E string slipping off the fretboard on my Gibson Les Paul. It's 2001 model and the beveling of the frets seems to be what's causing the problem. I've thought about changing out the nut, but I really don't think that will help. I also tried some 12's just to see if the heavier gauge string might make a difference. It doesn't. Any thoughts or ideas?

Bill Kirchen at his best (and having fun). smile.gif

[/media]

[/media]

I'm back and now INTIMATELY acquainted with this piece.

FWIW, Bill is a great guy - smart, talented, and funny. A very enjoyable weekend to say the least.

Saturday night was an Electric Hot Tuna concert, in which he was included, and he did the best version I've ever heard of "The TImes They Are A-Changin' "

A class act, for sure.

I'm sure others have run into this problem. I'm having trouble with the high E string slipping off the fretboard on my Gibson Les Paul. It's 2001 model and the beveling of the frets seems to be what's causing the problem. I've thought about changing out the nut, but I really don't think that will help. I also tried some 12's just to see if the heavier gauge string might make a difference. It doesn't. Any thoughts or ideas?

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing. The set up is screwy...sounds like a nut or bridge issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't know much about these Akai pedals, but they seem to be clearing them out (or something). At $40, they're about 75% cheaper than normal retail. The message boards talk about how they're really rebranded GFS and/or Biyang technology. But if they work , what's the difference?

I just picked up the Analog Delay last week from MF on a 'Stupid Deal' for $29. Sounds pretty good to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Brooks, a real beauty! My '59 Thinline Jazzmaster reissue has the anodized gold pickguard and I've learned to love it. Glad you got it my friend.

Well, there you have it - the anodized gold pick guard rocks!

Thanks, Lon.

These guitars are the business. I'm seriously considering selling on my Squier Classic Vibe Tele to get one.

A friend is also going to audition one this coming week.

Fwiw, i'm a big fan of the anodised pickguard too.

This is my current baby. Still not sure if I should have bought the single coil version rather than the 'HH'...

https://picasaweb.go...673253525984114

Tony, that link's not working.

any good now.

Bought in Feb this year, i wouldn't lose too much if i decided to trade.

All I get with that link is a generic album of "featured photos".

• 4 weeks later...