The guitar corner

7/4

On the theory that there are no stupid questions, if the chord is F and I put the capo at the second fret, I'm supposed to play an E, right? Cause I am looking at a tab that says capo 1 for a tune in the key of F, and the F chords are listed as E.

As always this intermediate guitarist who hasn't had a lesson since he was 11 thanks you in advance.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have we talked pedals yet? Here's my current collection.

I've had the Boss Looper for a few years, at least, but it's really intimidating to use. I recently got the HardWire Delay/Looper thinking I could do some simple loops with that and get more comfortable with the process. It also has a nice variety of Delay effects. Picked it up CHEAP from Musician's Friend and sold my old DigiTech DigiDelay for about the same price.

The Fat Sandwich I also just grabbed at a bargain price from MF. Sounds great..........and VERY fat!

16200915946_ab4fd55b0d_c.jpg

image by BFrank229, on Flickr

Though I have two Damage Control dual tube effects pedals (Liquid Blues Distortion and Glass Nexus) I haven't plugged them in at all since I moved from Texas (and oddly began playing more as I have many afternoons to myself as my only time off and the complex is deserted and I can make some noise). I mainly use a clean signal no effects, more than ninety percent of the time. But I do have this and love it:

dunlop-jhf1-jimi-hendrix-fuzz-face-48677

I can get this so that my lines are nice and fat and chords have just a nice bit of crunch. Sort of like power tube distortion coming on. It sounds great and gives me just what I want. And if I feel the itch I can really get it fat and fuzzy and distorted.

Edited by jazzbo

Nice stuff! I generally like to play with a little overdrive and a hint of reverb. Unfortunately, I'm also a SUCKER for pedals ... of all sorts - not that I use them that much. But it's fun to play with them every once in a while and they DO look "cool" lined up on the floor.

Also, I don't spend a lot, but track sale prices on MF and Sweetwater, both of which periodically have deep discounts on select items. It helps me justify my 'addiction'. :rolleyes:

Oh I use reverb, but nothing beats strings for me, I have to have real spring reverb, not a pedal. I have a Fender '63 Reissue Reverb head, and I also have a Schreyer Audio SpringVerb. Both are great (the Schreyer is solid state and has longer springs, so a different beast).

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

Needless to say, I'm looking at that guitar more for aesthetic reasons than musical. From reading their blurb and seeing the list of components, it seems like quality work. But without being able to play it or see one in person it becomes an expensive crap shoot.

Interesting, anyway ...

It will certainly look nice! I bet if you were serious about a purchase you could get the company to give you a pretty good idea of the action, the pickup sound, etc. Poplar is a pretty nice tone wood, I have two guitars with a poplar core and black walnut tops and bottoms. They sound a lot like a crisper mahogany tone.

Interesting about the pickups - they currently install Seymour Duncans, but told me that they have "... been working with a local pickup company named Throbak to custom wind for us. We think they sound extremely good." Don't know anything about them, but they also make effects pedals.

Thanks for your input, Lon.

• 6 months later...

OK - I never got that Sinuous Guitar. My self-control kicked into gear.

I've now moved on to Bohemian "oil can" Guitars. They have unique builds, would definitely be conversation pieces and play surprisingly well. I got to see and play one at SXSW. They're not necessarily 'pro-quality' instruments, but they're not built or priced to be. On top of everything else, they're bargain-priced ($185) with significant extras and pickup customization if you pre-order on the crowd-funding site, Indigogo. I ordered one - why NOT?? Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in these at ALL.

Bohemian Guitars

The Boho Series 2.0 - Indiegogo

• 9 months later...

Question for the experts: My capo seems to wearing out after a few years use. I get too much buzz especially at frets 1 and 2 and adjusting the spring doesn't help. I assume this is normal ... 

I see several at Amazon for $10 or less and others $20 or $30. Are the higher priced ones significantly better or longer lasting? 

1 hour ago, skeith said:

I think that by far the best capos are the ones you have to rotate the screw to tighten.....really allows you to adjust the tightness....they are much smaller than the ones that most people use and they never ever wear out.

That's the kind I have and its not engaging the strings the same way it did.  So I am wondering whether the same design at a higher price point is the smarter move or just buy a similar one and assume it will last another two or three years. The price isn't that different anyway ...

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

That's the kind I have and its not engaging the strings the same way it did.  So I am wondering whether the same design at a higher price point is the smarter move or just buy a similar one and assume it will last another two or three years. The price isn't that different anyway ...

Hi Dan

I did not think we have the same kind because you said something about adjusting the spring.   There is no spring in the capo that I have.   It has a small knob that tightens and loosens the grip by closing the angle of the capo....have had it for years --- no problems.  Spent maybe 10 or 15 dollars.

1 hour ago, skeith said:

Hi Dan

I did not think we have the same kind because you said something about adjusting the spring.   There is no spring in the capo that I have.   It has a small knob that tightens and loosens the grip by closing the angle of the capo....have had it for years --- no problems.  Spent maybe 10 or 15 dollars.

Well I don't know if there's confusion or not but here's an image.

NSDualAction-large.jpg

My wife actually bought it for me and actually looking at it, it looks like I had a $30 model anyway. Guess I should just buy a new one this weekend. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well I don't know if there's confusion or not but here's an image.

NSDualAction-large.jpg

My wife actually bought it for me and actually looking at it, it looks like I had a $30 model anyway. Guess I should just buy a new one this weekend. Thanks.

No that is not the one I use.   Mine is like this..never had a problem and it is much smaller....easy to fit in your case....never got why anyone would use anything else.

capo._SX425_.jpg