7/4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think so. There's a couple of dings, but I don't care. I have been working on chord melody and the Strat is too thin sounding, the L6-S's neck too narrow, plus I wanted the real thing!

Like the blue light? It's just a florescent light.  B-)

Good luck with your first archtop.

I've got 3. Started off with an Ibanez GB-10 (Japan), got a Gibson ES175, then got the beauty to the left of the screen, a Gibson Super V CES (L5 with Super400 neck).

It's not fair that jazz instruments cost so damn much, when the rewards are pitiful compared to rock and ©rap charlatans. Be it a Selmer Tenor Sax, a B3, a Steinway, an archtop like the venerable Gibson L5........, jazz instruments cost big $$$.

Side note: I've had alot of good luck recording archtop guitar with a Boogie Formula preamp. Nice mix of a tube front end (in full stereo with a stereo effects processor) and digital recording backend. Also does well for jazz-rock fusion as well, great for Carlton-Ford-Ritenour-Santana type stuff.

I think so. There's a couple of dings, but I don't care. I have been working on chord melody and the Strat is too thin sounding, the L6-S's neck too narrow, plus I wanted the real thing!

Like the blue light? It's just a florescent light.  B-)

Good luck with your first archtop.

I've got 3. Started off with an Ibanez GB-10 (Japan), got a Gibson ES175, then got the beauty to the left of the screen, a Gibson Super V CES (L5 with Super400 neck).

It's not fair that jazz instruments cost so damn much, when the rewards are pitiful compared to rock and ©rap charlatans. Be it a Selmer Tenor Sax, a B3, a Steinway, an archtop like the venerable Gibson L5........, jazz instruments cost big $$$.

Side note: I've had alot of good luck recording archtop guitar with a Boogie Formula preamp. Nice mix of a tube front end (in full stereo with a stereo effects processor) and digital recording backend. Also does well for jazz-rock fusion as well, great for Carlton-Ford-Ritenour-Santana type stuff.

Thanks. The Epiphone is in limbo for now. If there isn't something wrong with the pickups, there's something loose in the top. I would have been better off buying a new cheap archtop.

I went back to playing a '93 Strat Plus, then a few weeks ago I got a '52 Telecaster reissue on semi-permanent loan that's great. I never really played a Tele, it's so much different than a Strat and I used to think think that the Tele was all about twang. It works for me now.

Maybe I'll get the Epi fixed up this Fall.

Edited by 7/4

OK I know it's been a while since an update. And I'm not sure if anyone cares but...

The Gold Cort is FINALLY up to my exacting standards. In the end I redid the entire guitar 3 times and the front an additional time but I have finally conquered that patch that kept showing through no matter how many layers were on top. Kinda like the pea and the princess. It is in the closet for the two months.

The Charvel body has been sitting around waiting for a turn since I stripped off that color shifting paint. I finally read the clear coat label and it says it is specially formulated to enhance the color changing effect. So maybe it would have worked after all but that's history Fletch.

My wife took the kids to grandmas for the fourth and this is what I've come up with.

OK I know it's been a while since an update.  And I'm not sure if anyone cares but...

The Gold Cort is FINALLY up to my exacting standards.  In the end I redid the entire guitar 3 times and the front an additional time but I have finally conquered that patch that kept showing through no matter how many layers were on top.  Kinda like the pea and the princess.  It is in the closet for the two months.

The Charvel body has been sitting around waiting for a turn since I stripped off that color shifting paint.  I finally read the clear coat label and it says it is specially formulated to enhance the color changing effect.  So maybe it would have worked after all but that's history Fletch.

My wife took the kids to grandmas for the fourth and this is what I've come up with.

Man, you're dedicated! Looks cool.

SON OF A...!!

I just looked at the gold Cort. THE SPOT is BACK! :o

This thing is like Satan. I can't figure it out. The other side, which I did at exactly the same time, exactly the same way has never had a problem. In previous attempts I had hints that THE SPOT might give me trouble, but this time from coat one of primer I thought that I was good to go. It's been a whole week since the last coat of clear coat and everything has been fine until now. Unbelievable!

I'm now just resigned that there will be a blemish on the front of my guitar. I can live with it but I was thinking it should be perfect in case I wasnted to sell it later. Oh well.

SON OF A...!!

I just looked at the gold Cort.  THE SPOT is BACK!  :o

This thing is like Satan.  I can't figure it out.  The other side, which I did at exactly the same time, exactly the same way has never had a problem.  In previous attempts I had hints that THE SPOT might give me trouble, but this time from coat one of primer I thought that I was good to go.  It's been a whole week since the last coat of clear coat and everything has been fine until now.  Unbelievable!

I'm now just resigned that there will be a blemish on the front of my guitar.  I can live with it but I was thinking it should be perfect in case I wasnted to sell it later.  Oh well.

Hi Scottb,

I've read a number of your 'Spot' posts. Is the spot 'fisheye'? What type of paint are you using? If any silicone was used on or near the guitar...at any time, it penetrates almost any finish. Polishes, fretboard sprays, etc. often contain silicones that will leach through the paint.

Before you re-finish anything, take it down to bare wood and "THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHOLE THING WITH MINERAL SPIRITS''- do this several times. This , done properly, will remove silicones...sanding will not! Wear a respirator for all painting functions. A vinyl sealer (used as a seal coat) on the bare wood will prevent leaching (after the Mineral Spirits Bath)...there are low odor mineral spirits..but be sure and ventilate the area properly...or the Mortician might end up giving you the paint job : )

There are a lot of other ideas and materials you can use: If you are using a spray gun you can add fisheye reducer to the paint (It's basically a silicone in suspension--the 'Hair of the dog' so to speak. You're welcome to email me if you have questions, Good Luck!!

pmf

The "spot" is really a slight indention over the hole that I patched when replacing the Tunomatic bridge with the LP junior style bridge.

I plugged the hole with a dowell rod (see pictures), patched with bondo, sanded, primed, painted, clear coated. The entire hole is not visible, only about a 1/3 circle. It doesn't show up on photo. It looks like a fingernail impression. The same defect has reappeared each time I've painted.

As I mentioned I am baffled because I did exactly the same on the other side without a problem. I have suspected that maybe the dowell rod was not sealed or maybe some wood glue got exposed but I used just a drop to secure the dowell. It's still hard for me to believe that below that many layers. the defect would appear after a week of drying / setting.

I used Duplicolor auto paint in a spray can as well as duplicolor primer and clear coat. They are lacquer based products. The paint is an acrylic lacquer.

By the way I have a similar defect where the bridge holes where patched as well but I haven't really tried to fix them because they will be under the new bridge.

Edited by scottb

The "spot" is really a slight indention over the hole that I patched when replacing the Tunomatic bridge with the LP junior style bridge. 

I plugged the hole with a dowell rod (see pictures), patched with bondo, sanded, primed, painted, clear coated.  The entire hole is not visible, only about a 1/3 circle.  It doesn't show up on photo.  It looks like a fingernail impression.  The same defect has reappeared each time I've painted.

As I mentioned I am baffled because I did exactly the same on the other side without a problem.  I have suspected that maybe the dowell rod was not sealed or maybe some wood glue got exposed but I used just a drop to secure the dowell.  It's still hard for me to believe that below that many layers. the defect would appear after a week of drying / setting.

I used Duplicolor auto paint in a spray can as well as duplicolor primer and clear coat.  They are lacquer based products.  The paint is an acrylic lacquer.   

By the way I have a similar defect where the bridge holes where patched as well but I haven't really tried to fix them because they will be under the new bridge.

Hi SB,

Several possibilities come to mind: If the bondo wasn't a 'perfect' mix it won't set properly; General shrinkage; The Dowel can absorb moisture through the end grain; Old glue; A proper Sealer,.... primer won't do it; Not Leaving enough drying time between each process; Too heavy finish coats. You must be cautious about the level of humidity and airflow and temperature!

Spray cans have a tendency to dump too much material..You want a build of a number of very light coats then lightly wet sand between every other coat 400 to 2000 grit paper kept in clean water.

It really has the "Feel" that there was moisture or silicones under the cover coats!! I know how this sort of thing can give you 'fit's'. I allow a day between sealer coats..and 2 + day's with Acrylic Lacquer..as it's heavier than Nitrocellulose Lacquer..and much less forgiving!

Good Luck!

I am going to make a recommendation for anyone wanting to ROCK!

This DVD from Andy Aledort and GUITAR Magazine is a bargain!

I picked up a copy just to check it out because I have been playing more rock lately. $10.

This is an unbelievable video. It's 2 hours long but contains NUMEROUS lessons worth of material. Honestly, there is more here than 6 months of lessons from a very good instructor that I studied with when I first started out ($300 and that was 15 years ago) Check out the TABLE OF CONTENTS

I'm an intermediate player so a lot this stuff I know already but I think he does a good job at explaining things in a concise manner and demonstrating it with tab and in the video. It's kinda like going to your friend who can really rock's house and him showing you how play.

I've met Andy Aledort a few times. He did most of the transcriptions in the Hendrix books. I heard a recording of him playing them with the Band of Gypsies at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. He nails that shit, a real exciting rock guitarist to hear live.

Since is this from Guitar World, it's probably edited by Jimmy Brown. He's killer player too, edits all the transcriptions for the magazine.

Edited by 7/4

• 1 month later...

In terms of styling, the guitar is basically a cross between Brian May's homemade "Red Special" guitar, and a Rickenbacker...hence, the name "The Redenbacker." This is not a copy of any one guitar, but you can easily see the influences.

That's what I thought at first! A very slick lookin' guitar.

Thank's Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Two months have passed (well close enogh) so last night I started the final wet sanding of the clear coat on the gold Cort. Everythings going great. I figure I'm about half through the final process with a couple grades of sand paper to go.

This morning I take a quick glance at my handiwork while getting ready for work and if you know me at all or have been following this thread at all you can probably guess what happened.

The finished cracked in several places overnight! In the words of my 3 1/2 yr old daughter, "This is crazy man!" (move over Bart Simpson cause Sophie's in the house)

I'll post some pics tonight, although they may be too horrific to view.

The thing that worries me the most is that I still have my flame guitar in my closet which will be ready for sanding / cracking in a month.

Edited by scottb

It took me two attempts at listening to the sample of Shape of Things to make it through the vocals to sample his playing.

On the first attempt I just wasn't psychologically prepared to be sonicly violated like that. I had to abort the attempt and returned later once I mentally prepared myself and even then it wasn't easy!