The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't been on site in a long time. Too busy, but boy have I missed it!

I have been looking for a second electric guitar. I have owned an Ibanez 2630 for a few years, and it is so nice (and has become so collectible) that I am afraid to take it out of the house to rehearsals etc. I'd die if I busted it up.

I was browsing in my fave pawn shop and I spotted an odd shaped solid body electirc hanging on the wall. Turns out it was a DeArmond Jet Star Special (circa '97) made in Indonesia. I took a chance and grabbed it (for $100). This is a nice little guitar. It has American made humbuckers, a three way switch and Gotoh tuners.

It features a solid mahagony body too, so it is understandably heavy, and it sustains very well.

It sure isn't collectible, but it sounds great and stays in tune. And I have grown rather fond of the retro Gumby shape of the body. It is nice owning a beater that doesn't look like everyone else's guitar.

Here is a pic of one I see on Ebay right now. Mine is the same color as this one.

post-540-1214022022_thumb.jpg

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

trower1.jpg

Gotta give a shout out to one of my all-time favorite guitarists. Much more than just the "Hendrix-clone" that he gets lumped into. One of the most beautiful tones in rock, a master of "space age blues" and one of the REAL ones.

Robin Trower - one of the underrated MASTERS of the guitar.

I've only seen him once, but it was a magical show. It was at the Ballard Firehouse in Seattle back in the late 90's. Al Hendrix came to the gig and introduced Trower before he came on. He said something to the effect of: "here's one of the only guitarists that took my son's work and made it his own". I don't remember the exact words but that's pretty close. They hugged before Robin took the stage.

That concert was recorded and is available on this release (in combination with a 70's era date).

album-thiswasnow.jpg

Available on emusic I believe.

My two favorite hard rock guitarists in the same photo. Mick pretty much invented (or at least perfected) that crunchy tone that rock guitar players everywhere search for at one time or another. What I like most about him is that behind it all he was a very melodic player. That other guy ain't so bad either.

MickRonsonBody1.jpg

My two favorite hard rock guitarists in the same photo. Mick pretty much invented (or at least perfected) that crunchy tone that rock guitar players everywhere search for at one time or another. What I like most about him is that behind it all he was a very melodic player. That other guy ain't so bad either.

MickRonsonBody1.jpg

El Becko is amazing, his guitar hits straight between the eyes.

Mick Ronson, I barely remember. I need to brush up on Mott the Hoople and those Bowie years.

The recent album by Trower & Jack Bruce is quite good. I never heard that old "BLT" album, but I imagine it's somewhat the same.

Update - just saw the thread about this album in the "Recommendations" thread.

Edited by BFrank

trower1.jpg

Gotta give a shout out to one of my all-time favorite guitarists. Much more than just the "Hendrix-clone" that he gets lumped into. One of the most beautiful tones in rock, a master of "space age blues" and one of the REAL ones.

Robin Trower - one of the underrated MASTERS of the guitar.

WHATEVER....you're opinion and that's all it is.