The guitar corner

7/4

I just picked up a cheap Washburn strat knock-off as my first electric.  I have had a REAL cheap acoustic for years.  I have been teaching myself some things over the years, and now with a respectable guitar, I will be getting formal lessons.

My question is this -- what would be a good newbie amp?  I am looking for something small-ish.  My view has been colored by an amp that a friend loaned me, a Fender Champ 25 from the mid-70s.  Nice warm tubes, full sound.

I am lazy and haven't read through all of the pages here, so there may be a rec that someone can point me to within this thread.

Used would be fine, especially since my budget is a max of $150 or so.  Anything worth having in that price range?

Ask your friend if he/she would sell said amp for 150.00! :)

Otherwise, a solid state practice amp may be in your future. There are some good ones, for sure.

This Looks Like A Good Option

Have fun!

g

He bought that amp from a co-worker for $50. :wacko:

I just need to find one for that price... :g

Until then, That Vox looks like the real deal!

You're not interested in the Epiphone Galaxie 10???

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Volume swells.  They can be accomplished via the volume knob on the guitar or via volume pedal.  Hit the note when the volume is down, and then quickly turn the volume up.  Some people get different volume pots in their guitar to allow for a more dramatic or easier technique.  Oh also, the volume on the amp must be up a bit to get the nice sustain.

Thanks Jim and Greg! It's a nice effect! I should've known this.

As a youngster, I would use the same idea for recording certain piano sounds.

I was trying to get those piano cloud sounds that you can hear

on Weather Report's Milky Way from the first album.

He must've been using a pedal? It would seem too difficult to do it any other way! :o

Thanks again,

Rod

I think Billy used a pedal. I may have actually read something about his technique at some point in time, either in a mag article or liner notes of his LP's (which I've long since let go of). At any rate, it would be difficult (tedious) to do it as frequently as Butler did using the volume knob on the guitar. Some players like to use those knobs a lot, though (Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton come to mind, but I know there are many others).

BTW, my reference to Tiny Grimes referred more to his R&B recordings, I think. Don't recall that he did it much (if at all) in jazz settings, although I could be forgetting. I had an LP called "Rockin' & Sockin", with R&B material from the early 50's where he was using his volume knob for volume swells (no pedals in those days, right? :unsure: ).

Allen, you misundersood me. I said: "(I) Don't recall that he did it much (if at all) in jazz settings...". "It" refers to volume swells. :mellow:

actually Tiny Grimes was a fine jazz guitarist, witness his recordings with Charlie Parker AND Art Tatum (the famous trio) - I heard him in NYC in the late 1970s and he was great - in  a Charlie-Christian inspired style - even than -

Tiny Grimes is one of my favorites. There is a lot of 'life' in his playing.

g

actually Tiny Grimes was a fine jazz guitarist, witness his recordings with Charlie Parker AND Art Tatum (the famous trio) - I heard him in NYC in the late 1970s and he was great - in  a Charlie-Christian inspired style - even than -

Tiny Grimes is one of my favorites. There is a lot of 'life' in his playing.

g

Amen to that! :cool: He had to be good if he could go around wearing a kilt. :g

I use a Fender Vibro-Champ from the mid-70s that would be the first thing after the cat to be saved from a fire. You see them used all the time, but they are getting stupidly expensive.

The Blues Jr. is in the ballpark, but it is a bit louder (I couldn't play it in my apartment). It has the advantage of having reverb, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on G&L guitars? Someone told me that their quality started declining in the mid-90s - is that true? Are the necks always super-thick? Thanks.

I have two S-500. I love them both. I think there different radius offered. The necks on mine are not huge.

Check with these folks.

Thanks. Do you think it is worth it to track down an older model, or do you think the newer ones are of about the same quality?

I'd love to have a handmade strat (legacy) and tele (asat).

Do you think it is worth it to track down an older model, or do you think the newer ones are of about the same quality?

I'd love to have a handmade strat (legacy) and tele (asat).

I think they're pretty much the same. They tend to be a real deal used.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a little DRIVE 20 watt amp with reverb for my niece who is interested in playing guitar. Right now she has one of my guitars and has been rehashing a couple things I tried to show her last time they were in town. I got a small scale guitar for her on ebay which SUCKED! Despite its claims of being a "real" guitar and not a toy, it was totally unplayable out of the box. I was able to salvage it to some extent but it required relocating the nut and the bridge!

Anyway, back to the amp. I got this DRIVE amp from Musicians Friend for $59. I sprung the extra $10 to add reverb. I gotta say for the money, this is a good little amp. Clean sound is OK, better with the reverb and I was able to get a good variety of distortion as well. It's as good as the comparable Peavey, Squire and Fender models that I've played through and a lot cheaper! So if your looking, give it a chance. I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

265457.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So lately I've been digging a Kay acoustic that I bought off a friend last Summer for $225. Funky guitar, the pickguard is missing and the top is a bit scratched up. The back and the sides have a nice flame and the neck is huge. So is the guitar, 17" across the lower bout. Perfect for funky blues and slide.

I'd post a photo, but my digital camera is kaput.

I bought one of these used last week, except mine is made in Japan. Mine has a mahogany body with a natural finish. Looks like the back of a goldtop Les Paul. Dig the funky pickguard. :cool:

0136902300s.jpg

That pickguard is sweet!!! I am jealous.

Nice axe!!