The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course, I don't own any disco records, but everytime I get together with Randy he makes me listen to the Village People for some reason.

Listening never hurt anyone but when Randy starts asking you to dress like the indian, you'd better run like mad! :D

Wait...Randy did give me a work-belt last Christmas...

hmmm

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my latest project. I took a Korean made Fender Koa Stratocaster body and "Americanized" it with the neck, hardware, pickups etc from my American strat.

Because the plastic part were yellowed a bit, I replaced the knobs with authentic Fender knobs and the pickup covers and pickguard with parts from guitarfetish on ebay.

Here's my latest project. I took a Korean made Fender Koa Stratocaster body and "Americanized" it with the neck, hardware, pickups etc from my American strat.

Because the plastic part were yellowed a bit, I replaced the knobs with authentic Fender knobs and the pickup covers and pickguard with parts from guitarfetish on ebay.

How does Koa resonate compared to Alder, btw? Also, how does the neck pocket and neck line up. I have a couple American Standard bodies with no necks. A Japenese reissue with no neck. A Tokai neck (too small for any of the aforementined). And a bunch of parts. I always check your work out with great interest. You do nice work!

g

How does Koa resonate compared to Alder, btw? Also, how does the neck pocket and neck line up. I have a couple American Standard bodies with no necks. A Japenese reissue with no neck. A Tokai neck (too small for any of the aforementined). And a bunch of parts. I always check your work out with great interest. You do nice work!

This body is not a solid Koa body but a basswood body with a Koa veneer. I think it does change the tone a bit however and I like the way it sounds. As I have alluded to before, my wife couldn't care less about my guitars so if she ever says one looks good or sounds good then I take that seriously. She did comment on the nice sound of the Koa strat, but she absolutely hates the looks of it. Especially the pearloid pickguard which I chose because the Fender Koa strat has one and I think it gives a little accent to the dark wood finish.

There were some compatibility issues between the American strat and the Korean body.

1 Althought the neck fit snugly in the pocket, the screw holes didn't allign and I had to patch and redrill the screw holes in the neck. Also the neck sits a little lower in the pocket so I had to trim the pickguard a little.

2 The mounting posts for the American standard bridge are a differnt size from the Korean bridge but in my search for the proper screws, I found a luthier who works out of his gargage and he has access to a machine shop and was able to rethread the brushings for me which turned out perfectly.

3 The pickguard I ordered was not bad, I only had to drill one new screw hole although several others had to go in at a little bit of an angle.

I was very pleased with the results.

Greg, there's a guy on ebay who sells original strat parts. His user name is reliablefender and his store is The Stratosphere. I think he gets new (blem?) Fenders and sells them for parts. Most of the time the price is a little higher than elsewhere on ebay but you're getting a new, original Fender part. If your patient you might find a neck that slips through at a decent price. Also ebay is a good place to sell those bodies as well. I sold my 1996 American standard body for $255! which is more than I expected from it. There's a lot of crap bodies out there for cheap, but there are a lot of guys who know quality and will pay pretty good money for a good body.

My next project is a hardtail strat. I've bought a Robert Cray neck and just yesterday won an auction for a Robert Cray body that I'll be assembling soon.

If it turns out as well as I hope, I may sell the Koa strat.

This body is not a solid Koa body but a basswood body with a Koa veneer. I think it does change the tone a bit however and I like the way it sounds. As I have alluded to before, my wife couldn't care less about my guitars so if she ever says one looks good or sounds good then I take that seriously. She did comment on the nice sound of the Koa strat, but she absolutely hates the looks of it. Especially the pearloid pickguard which I chose because the Fender Koa strat has one and I think it gives a little accent to the dark wood finish.

There were some compatibility issues between the American strat and the Korean body.

1 Althought the neck fit snugly in the pocket, the screw holes didn't allign and I had to patch and redrill the screw holes in the neck. Also the neck sits a little lower in the pocket so I had to trim the pickguard a little.

2 The mounting posts for the American standard bridge are a differnt size from the Korean bridge but in my search for the proper screws, I found a luthier who works out of his gargage and he has access to a machine shop and was able to rethread the brushings for me which turned out perfectly.

3 The pickguard I ordered was not bad, I only had to drill one new screw hole although several others had to go in at a little bit of an angle.

I was very pleased with the results.

Greg, there's a guy on ebay who sells original strat parts. His user name is reliablefender and his store is The Stratosphere. I think he gets new (blem?) Fenders and sells them for parts. Most of the time the price is a little higher than elsewhere on ebay but you're getting a new, original Fender part. If your patient you might find a neck that slips through at a decent price. Also ebay is a good place to sell those bodies as well. I sold my 1996 American standard body for $255! which is more than I expected from it. There's a lot of crap bodies out there for cheap, but there are a lot of guys who know quality and will pay pretty good money for a good body.

My next project is a hardtail strat. I've bought a Robert Cray neck and just yesterday won an auction for a Robert Cray body that I'll be assembling soon.

If it turns out as well as I hope, I may sell the Koa strat.

Thanks Scott!! Btw,

I've got a American Standard body on there right now that I am trying to sell...but it is a bit beat up.

Guitar Body on Ebay

Edited by GregN

The way I've been ebaying lately, I'm almost tempted to buy that body Greg. If it was drilled for a vintage trem I might bite. That color screams for a nice maple, V neck and vintage tuners which wouldn't really go with the modern trem.

You should see this Mint 2006 Japenese Fender 62 reissue body I have here... Olympic White and beautiful.

Is there a place around here that explains how to insert pictures?

g

I haven't played one, but it looks like they're getting around, judging by the photos on their website. How much dough are we talking?

About $1300 (including NYC inflation, so maybe a grand anywhere else). One of the main things I like about them is that they are incredibly light, which is important because of back/shoulder injuries I've had.

• 1 month later...

My latest project, just in time for Christmas.

I bought this mini guitar off ebay over a year ago for my daughters to mess around with. When it arrived it was essentially unplayable. I had to relocate the nut and the bridge for it to even start to play in tune. I replaced the tuners with a set out of an old Squire strat.

In this condition it has been adequate for toying around with but with my 7 yr old starting to really want to learn to play, I figured I would get rid of it and buy a another small scale guitar (the Hello Kitty Squire mini strat most likely)

My office partner at work mentioned he might want a guitar for his daughter so I said if I could get this one playing a little better I would sell it to him.

Well once I started, the project kinda snowballed. It turned out pretty nice and plays much better than I expected.

My latest project, just in time for Christmas.

I bought this mini guitar off ebay over a year ago for my daughters to mess around with. When it arrived it was essentially unplayable. I had to relocate the nut and the bridge for it to even start to play in tune. I replaced the tuners with a set out of an old Squire strat.

In this condition it has been adequate for toying around with but with my 7 yr old starting to really want to learn to play, I figured I would get rid of it and buy a another small scale guitar (the Hello Kitty Squire mini strat most likely)

My office partner at work mentioned he might want a guitar for his daughter so I said if I could get this one playing a little better I would sell it to him.

Well once I started, the project kinda snowballed. It turned out pretty nice and plays much better than I expected.

At six foot tall, and 240, I would look AWESOME with that one! ;)

But, seriously, once again, nice work!!

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of guitar, boys and girls, my new CD, containing my debut on guitar, will be out in a month. And just to grab a little attention and get everybody angry (because there's no such thing as bad publicity and nobody's gotten mad at me recently) let me mention that I have a much more convincing sense, IMHO, of American roots music than Nels Cline -

and for you gear heads, on the CD I play: a Yamaha Pacifica modded with old goldfoil pickups; a Jay Turser modded with a Melody Maker pickup in the neck and bridge; an old Teisco modded with a Dearmond pickup in the neck. Also an old un-identified thing with an amazing pickup in the neck (probably a Teisco). I play these through a Princeton with a 12 inch speaker, a Thunderbolt head with a Weber speaker, and a Tweed Pro head with a Weber.

There's also a solo appearance on two tracks by Marc Ribot - and a duo on one cut, me on guitar, Matt Shipp on piano. Should be available by the 15th of January 2007 - check your local Walmart, as I induced impoverished third-world children to produce the cover art; I figured this way Berigan would buy it.

Edited by AllenLowe