The guitar corner

7/4

I'd love to own a cello. I tried one that a friend owned and my intonation was pretty decent from playing fretless guitar and bass, but I didn't even try the bow. I didn't get one because I don't have the room or the time to put into it.

Maybe that'll change someday.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bowing is a whole different discipline that requires quite some time, for me at least. If I were living in Ohio I could get lessons from my sister-in-law who is quite an accomplished violinist and assures me she could get me bowing with precision. Maybe someday I'll be in the same place with her long enough!

But . . . I love pizzicato. Not sure I'd love that on a cello, and they sound so beautiful arco that if you had one that's what you'd have to do!

I have so many instruments to concentrate on right now. A blessing!

Well, that came out kind of nutty. I was responding to the answer about 350s being mostly laminated...................

Your quoting technique could use a little work. ;)

Btw, the funny faces above were just me having a little fun with the fact that you asked if anyone knew the 350 pretty much immediately after I had mentioned that I had a 350. :)

I had two 350's, one with two P90's, and one with a CC and a P90. They were both fantastic guitars, not necessarily "better" than the carved tops I've had, but by no means inferior. To me, every archtop (carved or laminate, full depth or thinline, full scale or shorter scale...) is different, has its own personality, and should be met on its own terms. That's one thing I loved about trying out different guitars. It was like getting to know a different person each time, and learning to enjoy them for what they were. I know... sounds corny. ^_^

I agree, and go one further. Every instrument to me has a soul. I'm not known for mystical statements but I believe this. When I had to sell a guitar earlier this year (to pay the landlord and the c$%*su%%^er threw me out anyway) it was literally like selling my soul since I played it for 22 years. But it has a home with a friend and I can get it back ($900 and a dream----I bought it in '87 for $110!).

I had a very nice experience yesterday: I have a friend who is a pastor in the Bronx and was a professional sax player. Plays good and is a good man who started a jazz vespers service in remote-as-hell Marble Hill. I was up in the Bronx and just called to see if the vespers was happening and when. I had nothing on my mind but listening, soothing the savage breast, maybe sitting in on a tune. Usually the message comes on. This time Rev. Dixon picked up. I identified myself and asked about the service. 'It's on. Bring your guitar'. For once I didn't have it! 'You can play mine'.....

He had an old but venerable ES335 or Stereo. Nice guitar but not at all kept up. The strings were older than the Wailing Wall. But one was dead to amplified sound, as I unhappily noted during my first chorus. 'Man, you got a good guitar here. Take care of it!' He will, I expect. It would be a sacrelig not to, and of all people........

Yeah, instruments have souls.

Well, that came out kind of nutty. I was responding to the answer about 350s being mostly laminated...................

Your quoting technique could use a little work. ;)

Btw, the funny faces above were just me having a little fun with the fact that you asked if anyone knew the 350 pretty much immediately after I had mentioned that I had a 350. :)

I had two 350's, one with two P90's, and one with a CC and a P90. They were both fantastic guitars, not necessarily "better" than the carved tops I've had, but by no means inferior. To me, every archtop (carved or laminate, full depth or thinline, full scale or shorter scale...) is different, has its own personality, and should be met on its own terms. That's one thing I loved about trying out different guitars. It was like getting to know a different person each time, and learning to enjoy them for what they were. I know... sounds corny. ^_^

I agree, and go one further. Every instrument to me has a soul. I'm not known for mystical statements but I believe this. When I had to sell a guitar earlier this year (to pay the landlord and the c$%*su%%^er threw me out anyway) it was literally like selling my soul since I played it for 22 years. But it has a home with a friend and I can get it back ($900 and a dream----I bought it in '87 for $110!).

I had a very nice experience yesterday: I have a friend who is a pastor in the Bronx and was a professional sax player. Plays good and is a good man who started a jazz vespers service in remote-as-hell Marble Hill. I was up in the Bronx and just called to see if the vespers was happening and when. I had nothing on my mind but listening, soothing the savage breast, maybe sitting in on a tune. Usually the message comes on. This time Rev. Dixon picked up. I identified myself and asked about the service. 'It's on. Bring your guitar'. For once I didn't have it! 'You can play mine'.....

He had an old but venerable ES335 or Stereo. Nice guitar but not at all kept up. The strings were older than the Wailing Wall. But one was dead to amplified sound, as I unhappily noted during my first chorus. 'Man, you got a good guitar here. Take care of it!' He will, I expect. It would be a sacrelig not to, and of all people........

Yeah, instruments have souls.

Ok, I'm no guitar player, but I've got an acoustic that I pick up and strum occasionally. It's not fancy at all (it's a Korean-made Sigma, a subsidiary of Martin), and I ocasionally pick it up and make noise on it, but that's about it. Literally, just make noise, not much else! I'd like to do the same with an inexpensive electric, but haven't been willing to plunk down much money for one.

Just today someone on the SH board mentioned there is a sale on some First Act guitars. He prefaced it by saying these are generally cheap, crappy products that are sold at Walmarts etc. I haven't ever seen these or looked at 'em, so wouldn't know the difference.

But he did mention that they're selling their "Sheena" and "Lola" entry level guitars, for $49 apiece, on their website (bottom of page here). And he says they're actually pretty good guitars for what they are, listing at around $350 normally. I figure for $50 I probably won't go wrong, unless you guys here know some horror stories about these things.

Anybody have any experience with them? The price caught my eye more than anything else.

I tried some new but traditional Gretsches lately(in order of expense): Country Gentleman, Anniversary, and Elecromatic. They were wonderful instruments. When I can afford it I will probably get either the Anniversary or Electromatic----since they played and sounded the same to me, and who needs to spend $2,500 for bells and whistles? But what lovely guitars they make.

I tried some new but traditional Gretsches lately(in order of expense): Country Gentleman, Anniversary, and Elecromatic. They were wonderful instruments. When I can afford it I will probably get either the Anniversary or Electromatic----since they played and sounded the same to me, and who needs to spend $2,500 for bells and whistles? But what lovely guitars they make.

Gretsch Guitars G400 Synchromatic - I'd love to try one, I think they look real spiffy, I wonder what they sound like?

GretschGuitarsG400Synchromatic.jpg

Gretsch Guitars G400 Synchromatic - I'd love to try one, I think they look real spiffy, I wonder what they sound like?

I hear you, but no thanks. I want a two-pickup (double-coil) monster. I've had plenty of archtops---and pleanty of feedback :rolleyes:

I just want another sound pallette just because.....

I hear you, but no thanks. I want a two-pickup (double-coil) monster. I've had plenty of archtops---and pleanty of feedback :rolleyes:

I know what you mean, I don't need another guitar like that - I have a D'Angelico Excel that feeds back just fine.

I know what you mean, I don't need another guitar like that - I have a D'Angelico Excel that feeds back just fine.

Guitars are being made well and cheaply now. No need to spend a fortune. You can get something that plays, sounds, and looks (if you're into that) good for under $1,000. Well under $1,000. I got a Godin Kingpin archtop a few months ago. I love it and so does everyone that hears me on it. Of course, ahem, I might just have a little to do with that (choke, sputter, hock-a-loogie).

Those two Gretsches I mentioned, Anniversary and Electromatic, are the current apples of my eye...and ear. One for $1,800 or so, the other a cool $700----at the overpriced store at that. Oh, when I get money.........

It's good to be the king.............. :cool:. :party:

My Excel was 700-800 (I forget exactly how much) three years ago when the importer was blowing them out by mail order through their web site.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid to play the thing now. I have enough problems with my hands right now - broke both elbows 11 weeks ago - and the action is kinda stiff on that guitar. Maybe I should try lighter strings.

I've been taking it easy with my Fender Strat-o-sonic with the short (Gibson) scale neck for now.

BUT YOU NEED ONE! :lol:

Actually...I never plug the Excel in when I play it.

Nah, I don't need one.

What I need to do is recover financially from my latest buy: a Fender Bantam Bass amp in a custom built (beautiful!) black walnut cabinet (with quilted maple dovetail joints and a custom made quilted maple amp face) with two 12" Eminence speakers (white diaphragm). Sounds flipping great as both a bass and guitar amp. My new permanent bedroom amp. My girlfriend loves to look at it, which is good because it's near the foot of the bed at eye level!

Anyone needing an amp should check with me before buying. :) I've got about four extra. My next challenge is deciding which to keep: my Fender Musicmaster (modded with a Celestion 12" and rec-capped) or my Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tone stack mod, and I think a few others). It's a hard choice!

Edited by jazzbo

fasstrack,

I heard someone playing a Kingpin at Guitar Center last month, sounded really good. Both the guitar and player.

You're right: they're making really nice guitars these days at all the price points. Hell, a few years ago I bought a friend a Washbur Strat copy from Target, marked down to 80 bucks, even had an amp in the box, and even that was a decent guitar and pretty solid.