The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's very pretty fasstrack! I'd go with that one myself. Already have three black guitars (an Ovation Breadwinner, an Agile fretless and a Jack Cassady Epiphone bass). :) (Course I have three sunbursts already (two jazz basses and a Jazzmaster), love the look!)

Edited by jazzbo

The impetus for this was seeing Fareed Haque on Halloween in Indy. He had a Cordoba classical guitar (thinline with a cutaway) that sounded excellent just going through his basic rig. Said he got it for $700-something. I haven't found one that cheap; they're usually just over a grand. Elderly had a couple, but one was older and kind of beat-up. Also didn't have the up-to-date electronics (this seems to be the key -the Fishman with a mic+bridge transducer which you can balance).

There were two guitars that really spoke to me. One was this Ramirez: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/28U-2219.htm

And the other was Godin for under $700, with no electronics. It had a very sweet tone and was a little easier for me to play than the Ramirez. I was thinking I might look into upgrading the electronics in my Wechter nylon-string (always have trouble amplifying that thing) for live shows and get the Godin for playing at home ( I like the wider string spacing for fingerstyle). That might be the cheaper route, anyway.

Will keep you posted if there's interest. :)

I found the webpage for the other guitar I liked (couldn't find it under Godin): http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/COLL.htm

Not sure why it doesn't have electronics, as the La Patrie website indicates that it should. Also surprised that this is apparently their top-of-the-line... for under a grand?? Amazing. Like I said, it's a very beautiful guitar. Not a lot of projection, but lots of soul. Or something.

Edit: ah, I see now that electronics are an option.

Edited by Joe G

They're sweet, but pricey. There's vintage steels around here, I just have my cheap plank and I'm not really playing it anyway.

I was in Sam Ash a month ago and a guy was trying out amps with a '36 Rick steel made of Bakelite. We were talking and I never realized that Bakelite is plastic...he even had a plastic slide.

It's arpeggio day at my place with the Gibson L6-S.

I guess I haven't been into any NYC stores since they started making them. I see they're making a CW Kingpin with a single cutaway now.

godin5thavecognacpucw.jpg

I just now came from trying one at the store I bought my non-cutaway Kingpin. I liked it, but it's the exact guitar: same cherry wood, same tone. It has 2 pickups (the same p-90s), the exact pickguard and headstock. The kicker? $200 more (w/hard shell case, which mine didn't come with). For a couple of notes more it ain't worth it to me----but still a great little guitar for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's a used non-cut away Kingpin for $499 in Queens. A few years ago I would have impulsively taken the day off and checked it out. Probably would have bought it too at that price.

I just now came from trying one at the store I bought my non-cutaway Kingpin.

Where did you buy it?

Edited by 7/4

I guess PRS is dumping the SE Custom 22. Amazon now has some for $399 - other onlne retailers for $449, both with and without tremolo.

I'm REAL tempted.

According to their web site, it's been "discontinued." Sam Ash had a Custom 24 on sale for $389 on Black Friday, which Guitar Center matched so I purchased it. Well, actually my wife got it for me as a Xmas present so it's under wraps until then. My first real guitar.