The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed, Lon. The earlier Mascis was sort of a metal-flake purple, I think - not my style, either. Also an "actual" Fender and more expensive.

This would also be an easy way for me to get a guitar w/trem, which I'm lacking in my "collection".

Note that the Jazzmaster tremolo is very different than the Stratocaster et al. Subtler, less range.

The earlier Macias had some great features, that took it away from the traditional Jazzmaster. This one looks more in line with the past.

I used to have a made in the USA Jazzmaster reissue. I've gotten rid of all my guitars, except for one cheapo, but that Jazzmaster is the only one I really miss (okay, I miss my Gretsch too). I had some great guitars too, so this isn't faint praise. I dream of having one again someday and putting a Mastery bridge on it.

I've read positive comments about the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster on various forums. You might find some good info about them on the Gear Page forum and the Telecaster forum.

BASS QUESTION. Via trades, I have acquired a 1969 Gibson EB-2 semi-hollow body. Amongst the case candy, there was a brush style mute. I've Googled around a bit but I haven't been able to determine what this accomplishes sound-wise if it's attached under the bridge cover. Anyone know anything about this?

Edited by Dave James

Have you tried it? I found this page/article:

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/gazette/mutedevelopedforelectricbass.php

I would imagine it would have a very similar sound to the "palm-muting" I do with my right hand when playing at times. A different texture to the sound, giving the attack but reducing the resonance of the note.

Have you tried it? I found this page/article:

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/gazette/mutedevelopedforelectricbass.php

I would imagine it would have a very similar sound to the "palm-muting" I do with my right hand when playing at times. A different texture to the sound, giving the attack but reducing the resonance of the note.

Thanks, Lon. I had not seen that article. I think I'll go ahead and mount this thing and see what happens. Having said that, the bass does sound quite good without it. The problem with palm muting on the EB2 is that there's only one pickup and it's mounted pretty much on the neck. I haven't found it to be very convenient in terms of the proper hand positioning. The guitar also has a baritone switch positioned between the tone and volume knobs that deepens the sound when it's engaged.

Bass-Guitar-Gibson-EB2-1968-904608.jpg

Yes, I bet that has a nice sound. I have a Jack Casady Epiphone bass that has many similarities (supposedly based on a modified Les Paul bass that Jack owned) including the Varilux. Great deep low tones. However, as soon as I bought a Fender Jazz Deluxe (I have two) it became clear that the Epiphone was not as easy to play and I loaned it to Shawn to play for some time and it's lain in the case for a long time. . . .

I'd be interested to hear how that mute works. :)

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to ordering the Jazzmaster. It's still on back order at Sweetwater, but should be in stock in the next week or two (or so they tell me).

Ultimately, I couldn't NOT buy it. :shrug[1]:

I've been there, now I have too many guitars.

Somehow I keep losing track of this thread. So, this is all a little late, but I hope someone will enjoy.

A lot has gone on for me over the past couple of years. I sold two of my four Gibson archtops, and bought two mind-blowing, scope-broadening guitars that have gone way beyond my hopes and expectations. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I wanted to find an Epiphone Sheraton, and I did- an early example from 1962, (post-NY Epi parts, but pre-elongagted headstock and narrow neck), made by Gibson. Original mini-humbuckers, Trem-o-toneâ„¢ tailpiece, and a nut width of almost 1 3/4". An absolute joy.

62SheratonVRfull.jpg

62SheratonVRhead.jpg

62SheratonVRfboard.jpg

More recently, I satisfied a craving for a Gretsch. The only one I ever had was a 50's County Club model I bought about 20 years ago, but I never got much use out of it before trading it off. Last year, my radar somehow picked up on the idea of finding an original Country Gentleman model... the early single-cutaway version. I didn't even realize that these had a special bracing design ("trestle" bracing) which was Gretsch's solution to Chet Atkins' desire for a more solid internal construction- and increased sustain. Wow, what a revelation when I finally got my hands on this 1960 example. It has Filtertron humbuckers, which are sweet, and the neck is very comfortable (just over 1 11/16" at the nut, and a 24.6" scale length). I even lucked into one of the more flamey maple bodies (often they were more plain grained). Like the semi-hollow Sheraton, this guitar sustains like crazy (it's slightly less bright than the Sheraton, which I like for chord/melody jazz playing). I only regret that I didn't find these guitars a long time ago.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

I also picked up a classical guitar, which I've been wanting to do for many years since getting into brazilian music. Not being experienced with these, I didn't feel like I should invest in an expensive instrument, but I didn't want something crappy either. So, I dragged my feet for years. I finally stumbed onto a local Craigslist ad for a Di Giorgio (same brand used by Joao Gilberto) model Autor 3 from 2002, which I got for under $350. I'm uncertain about the exact woods used on this, as detailed info is hard to find. The top is said to be "Oregon pine" (Douglas fir, I believe); the back is apparently "Jacaranda do Brasil" (Brazilian rosewood...? At $400-ish, I doubt that its solid brazilian rosewood, but it is attractive); and I've seen the fingerboards referred to as "Indian Ebony". At any rate, it's decent in quality, and has a nice resonant sound. I've been very happy with it so far (still adjusting to the neck size).

5N85L25Gc3n33Lc3Nac2d6b9a40d447cd143c.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I have too many as well. Congrats Brooks, I think you'll enjoy exploring that guitar.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just have a couple that I never play.

Thanks, guys. I will 'only' have 3 when that ship comes in. You guys probably have many more.

[that's if you don't count my high school Fender Malibu and re-shaped, re-finished (and in dire need of fretwork) 60's Tele - both living in the closet]

That Gretsch is amazing!

Very impressive collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got it. WELL worth $400, if not much more.

The only negatives I read in the online reviews are from people who want to replace the gold aluminum pick guard (usually with tortoise). Personally, I think it's one of the defining points of the instrument.

JMJM.JPG

[excuse me while I take a "Pipeline" break ...] :cool:

Hope you managed to buy that one Brooks, if you wanted it badly.

now that I've spent most of the summer alone and can play without being self-conscious again. I've had an eye to thinning out the herd and will probably be selling about five guitars and two basses this fall and winter.

..a Martin guy in acoustics.

How come I don't know this stuff (; And you're killing me w/this Martin stuff. I WANT A SITKA SPRUCE D18! Damn it, I DESERVE one! But there are 2300 reasons why I can't-and lousy credit besides. The large outlets like Gtr. Ctr. have them out like tormenting strumpets I'll never get to bed. I'm becoming convinced they put them out to torture me, then give each other high 5s after I leave, having played one of these beauties for an hour and put it back with tears in the soundhole. So I make do w/cheapo acoustics-which getting pretty good-and scheme and dream. 'I, Don Quijote, the Man of La Mancha..' (;
Edited by fasstrack

anyone know a source for good priced amp cases (like the ones sold on Ebay).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370637755166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

An example.

I guess I am being overly picky in thinking that a less expensive one can be found. I have considered buying the materials from the wholesaler and doing it myself, but rumor has it there isn't much $ saved that way anyway.

My JC-90 already has casters on it so moving it around isn't that much an issue. It is the protection I am after. I don't want a mic stand or music stand to shift around and poke a hole it the grill and/or speaker.

Finally got it. WELL worth $400, if not much more.

The only negatives I read in the online reviews are from people who want to replace the gold aluminum pick guard (usually with tortoise). Personally, I think it's one of the defining points of the instrument.

JMJM.JPG

[excuse me while I take a "Pipeline" break ...] :cool:

Sweeeeeeet! Surf's up, eh? :cool:

I've had a bunch of Strats over the years (and still have one), but no other Fender models- not even a Tele. So many guitars, so little time. :shrug[1]: Anyway, love the look of those gold anodized guards. Enjoy, my man.