What's next on your YourMusic.com queue?

GA Russell

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up for me is the reremastered 'Bridge of Sighs' by Robin Trower. Buying it for the bonus BBC cuts. Loved bassist James Dewar's singing with that group! Before that, he was in Stone the Crows, one of the most criminally underrated rock groups ever. Also included two greats, singer Maggie Bell and guitarist Les Harvey (who died of electrocution onstage).

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Maynard Ferguson Roulette last week, and it is great! Reminds me a lot of the Buddy Rich PJ band, but not as high strung.

My pick this month is Stan Getz - Getz au Go-Go.

Twenty years ago I found a selection of European (I think Italian) cassette tapes called Collections, and one that I picked up was the Stan Getz Collection. There were no liner notes, as was common with cassettes, but I think that all of Getz au Go-Go was included in it. But I don't think that the songs were presented in album order, or even consecutively. I'm not sure.

As I recall, this was the first Getz album released after Getz/Gilberto, and after The Girl From Ipanema was a hit. I'm not sure about that either.

Astrud sings on the bossa nova half of the album. Gary Burton is also on it.

• 1 month later...

My pick for this month is Hot Club of Detroit.

A couple of years ago I got a Mack Avenue Christmas sampler called Jazz Yule Love II which included two songs by the band. They are young guys who are picking up on the style of Django Reinhardt and his friends. The two tracks I have are interesting and different, so I thought I would take a flyer on the album.

• 4 weeks later...

Each year when the weather turns warm, I break out my bossa nova and surf guitar albums. So I was happy to see a few weeks ago that BMG/Your Music is carrying something that I don't have (and as a matter of fact have never heard of):

Sadao Watanabe - Bossa Nova '67

I've yet to hear a bossa nova album from the 60s that I haven't liked. Watanabe is another one of those musicians whose name I have read occasionally for years, but whom I have never heard. So I'm looking forward to checking this one out.