What's next on your YourMusic.com queue?

GA Russell

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the Skip James comp on Biograph.

Not a really a compilation since the material was all from one session. Shame they didn't include more of the remaining tracks - the disc is only 51 minutes, but wonderful stuff anyway.

Yeah, they could have at least filled up the running time on the disc. I can see not including everything if it would have spilled over onto a second disc, but why not fill one up all of the way?

Am I asking record companies to make sense... :P

Excellent stuff, agreed. There is something about the sparer playing that make it more haunting.

Now that YourMusic has announced that it is raising its price to $5.99, I'll be clearing out my queue over the next month for everything that I was really looking forward to.

I just ordered Jason Moran's Black Stars and The Bad Plus's These Are The Vistas.

Any more recommendations? As I see it, for the next month it's Buy Five Get One Free.

I didn't expect them to raise the price this month, but I figured they wouldn't keep the $4.99 offer indefinitely. It wouldn't surprise me if a year from now the price has been raised to $6.99 or $7.99 including shipping, which is the approximate level we usually paid to the BMG Record Club.

I'm continuing to clear out my queue in anticipation of May 13.

Today I ordered

Dave Douglas - Strange Liberation and

Pat Martino - Think Tank.

My last two orders have arrived in less than a week! It appears to me that the guys who are experiencing delivery problems are those placing large orders.

• 3 weeks later...

Sergio Mendes, "Equinox." Wasn't going to pay full price for this one!

Lon, I'm glad that you reminded me of the availability of Equinox. A buddy of mine did me a favor, so I ordered a copy of it for him yesterday. I'm sure it will be right up his alley.

How do you like it? Is it too lounge-y for you?

• 3 weeks later...

My Beach Boys album, which I was going to welcome in the warm weather with, was shipped on the 10th, but I still haven't received it. They tell me I need to wait four weeks to complain. How come you guys only needed to wait three???

Anyway, I picked up a few albums in anticipation of the price hike, so I'm set for the time being. As a grand gesture, a few days before May 13 I plunked down the money for Miles' Seven Steps box.

I decided to leave a few that look interesting in my queue, to ensure that my monthly selections are ones that I want, even at the higher price. But with the new availabilities, I switched my queue order around, and placed at the top...

Tina Brooks - True Blue.

I bought Jackie McLean's Jackie's Bag to hear Brooks, and unfortunately for me Brooks stays in the background the whole album. So True Blue will give me the opportunity to hear why Mosaic thought the guy was worthy of a box.

Anybody else decide to hold off and leave some goodies in his queue?

As long as you have at least one in your queue on your monthly "ship" date, you're fine. Make sure you do this, or they'll bill your credit card anyway, and not ship you anything (or so they claim).

I have about 20 things in my queue, but some aren't "hot" or need-to-have-now things. Just things I think about...

edit - Oh, and if there are things you KNOW you want, you might be better off putting them in your cart and purchasing them now, instead of queueing them up for 6 months down the road. Never know what they'll suddenly stop carrying. I missed out on the Bobby Hutcherson "Now" disc because it was in my cue for last month, and they deleted it from their inventory the day before it was due to ship to me.

Edited by Aggie87

My queue is set through November of 08. Im a bit upset that I missed out on Genius of Modern Music Vol 2 and Ornette Golden Circle Vol 2. Both were eventual must haves, but I already have vol 1, so they were low on m queue. Now i might have to buy them for ten bucks like some kind of sucker!

Next up, Wes Smokin at the Half Note! Maybe the best jazz guitar cd ever recorded.

Cannonball Adderley and the Poll-Winners.  I have a lot of Cannonball and a lot of Wes Montgomery, so I'm looking forward to hearing them together. :tup

I enjoy this one often. Pretty good for an all-star type of thing.

Next up, Wes Smokin at the Half Note! Maybe the best jazz guitar cd ever recorded.

Was it ever conclusively established that this was as "complete" as this one:

d30068tnj91.jpg

????

I've been wanting to get that Verve remastering of the Half Note, especially at the budget price, but I think I've got all the material already on the "Jazz Sides" set.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's summertime, and it's hot as Hades here, so I'm in the mood for something appropriate. As I've mentioned elsewhere, most of what I think of as summertime music is rock and roll, and I've pretty much lost all interest in that.

Back in the day when I lived in an apartment complex with a swimming pool, we would waste the day by the pool (those were the days!) and the radio often played Sade's Smooth Operator. So I think of Sade as a summertime act.

I had a hard bop album next up on my queue, but I have changed it at the last moment and so now next up is...

Sade - Lovers Rock

I bought Sade's previous album when it was new back in '92, but she waited so long to put out her next album (eight years) that I lost interest. So now it's time to catch up at Your Music's prices.

Anybody else picking up anything interesting for the warm weather?

Jacques and Paula Morelenbaum (husband and wife) are seasoned Brazilian musical veterans. Among other projects, they spent several years in Tom Jobim's "Banda Nova" and have worked with many other Brazilian artists. Jacques' cello playing is excellent, and he has done wonderful arrangements and orchestrations for many albums and movies.

The couple worked in a project with Jobim's son called "Quarteto Jobim" and then connected up with Japanese pianist Ryuichi Sakamoto to record and perform Jobim music, and the two official releases that are available in America, "Casa" (recorded in Jobim's studio in his house!) and "A Day in New York" are beautiful cds. The latter is available from yourmusic.com and I think you'd like it.