I came across...

Here's a letter I just came across and had forgotten about (undated, but probably from around 1972 or 3). I think I'll file it under "Huh?"

MaRaineylivesletter.jpg

There was a singer in the Memphis area who went under the name Memphis Ma Rainey or Big Memphis Marainey. She was active in the 70's & 80's. Your letter writer made the obvious mistake.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I have previously posted the letter from Leonard Feather wherein he complains about being neglected. I also posted my response. Now I have come across the third and last letter in this exchange, wherein Leonard has some second thoughts and, sadly, feels a need to give me references. I apologize for repeating the first 2 letters, but some may not have seen them and the third needs the preceding 2 to make sense. I would have met with him, as he suggested, but he didn't make it to New York before his death, the following year. Let me say, again, that Leonard did many good things for jazz before he became so wrapped up in himself that the music took a back seat.

Leonard2.jpg

Chris, I'm afraid I have to side with Feather on this -- you really should have spoken first to Toshiko, VI Redd, Marian McPartland, Farmer......plus all of his elementary school teachers and Cub Scout troop leader and before depicting him as an "egomaniacal asshole."

......and here I'd always thought of you as the model of thoroughness!!! ^_^

Chris is very tidy, I can attest -

Chris - here's my favorite Sam Theard lyric, from a song he did called "My Dog Bozo:"

(necessary preface: the song, as it goes along, is clearly NOT about a dog but about his member which, as he describes, is enjoyed by all the ladies in the neighborhood):

"and every night before I go to bed,

I take Bozo out and smack him on the head."

Edited by AllenLowe

I was sharing an unusual basement apartment with Timme Rosenkranz (see Lil's envelope) and we recorded an album there for Doug Dobell (whose Dobell's Record Shop was a jazz collector's must stop in London) and one of the tunes got its title from the address. Has anyone ever seen/heard this album?

I have the Addison album - it's a beauty. Btw, Dobell reissued it in 1974 with a few alternate takes.

I took out a pile of papers yesterday and this refreshed my memory. Back in the early Sixties, when I was working for WNEW, I walked along Fifth Avenue every day and there always seemed to be someone handing out a piece of paper with a complaint, radical opinion, etc. I guess the internet reduced that practice drastically. Anyway, I always took these handouts and often kept them. Here's the one I found yesterday. I hope the lady rode the super sonic waves to a solution of her problems.

Paranoichandouts1962.jpg

You know Chris, I might have kept this one too.

Think of all of the possible movie themes, TV projects and novels you could come up with from this letter.

Like a Hitchcock film!

Edited by marcello

When did you acquire your first computer? What was it? What did you do with it?

I still have our IBM PS/2, bought new in the late 87 or 88. I have at least five old machines sitting around here, I think only two of them are usable.

Sorry, no sexy photos of old computers - my cheap digital camera died a long time ago.

No, Dan, I do not come from a family of pack rats, nor am I one.

I took out a pile of papers yesterday and this refreshed my memory. Back in the early Sixties, when I was working for WNEW, I walked along Fifth Avenue every day and there always seemed to be someone handing out a piece of paper with a complaint, radical opinion, etc. I guess the internet reduced that practice drastically. Anyway, I always took these handouts and often kept them.

Care to revise your statement?

On their TV shows, Timex had a tendency to overdo it. Also in concert, but they did lay the stars on you!

72.jpg

I taped this show of the TV when it was shown. At the end, while the Basie band is playing and the credits are rolling IIRC, Dizzy grabs Ella and does a jitterbug with her.

Forty years ago, I was in the studio at WBAI when this guy (wish I could recall who he was) walked in with a cardboard box full of old 10" acetate discs. I wish I could recall who I eventually turned them over to, but some of this material was released by Don Schlitten. I would be very surprised if all of this stuff hasn't found its way onto commercial discs.

JerryNewmantapes1.jpg

JerryNewmantapes2.jpg

JerryNewmantapes3.jpg

Might these have originated from Jerry Newman, a pioneer in location recording? I see the initials JN, and I know that Schlitten did issue several volumes of Newman recordings on Muse and Xanadu.