I came across...

I thought it might be interesting dedicate a thread to things we come across while rummaging through a closet, reaching into the back of a drawer, emptying a shoe box, etc.

My two favorite largely unsung jazz legends were Elmer Snowden and Sam Wooding, so I was delighted to come across this note (from 1973, I believe) while going through stacks of papers:

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wooding and Snowden are two early major jazz figures - Ellington was connected with Snowden and Dickey Wells (I think) was in one of his bands - Wooding was one of the first to go to Europe and was an important blandleader - I'm sure there's stuff on the net on both of them -

funny thing is, I don't find his statement about his friendships with African Americans to be the least bit embarrassing - he was truly a guy who was honest in his attitudes and appraisals and a great advocate for the African American arts - certainly some of his statements might seem condescending out of historical context, but he really was not the least biut patriarchal in his attitudes, at least as I've been able to understand -

Edited by AllenLowe

Been clearing up the room where I keep most of my things jazz (discs, books, etc.) these past few days. Came upon a 1959 issue of Down Beat. The February 19 issue with Louis Prima and Keely Smith on the cover.

Content included:

- among the various news items, a report on the car accident involving Oscar Pettiford and Hans Koller in Austria,

- an interview with Alfred Lion on the 20th anniversary of the Blue Note label. Illustrated with a photo of Lion and Francis Wolff posing against a wall decorated with the covers of 'The Amazing Bud Powell' and '6 Pieces of Silver'. Lion mentions plans for 'some stereo discs',

- a special report on the Timex All-Star Jazz TV show,

- a Backstage with Louis Prima and Keely Smith feature,

- an article on Meade Lux Lewis,

- a two-page cartoon 'The Hip World of Jules Feiffer',

- an article on Kenny Dorham's '3 careers',

(none of these articles are bylined),

- several articles on stereo gear,

- albums reviews included Chet Baker's 'Chet Baker in New York', Bob Brookmeyer's 'Kansas City Revisited', Eddie Condon's 'Dixieland Dance Party', Benny Goodman 'Benny in Brussels', Arthur Lyman's 'Leis of Jazz', Rex Stewart's 'Henderson Homecoming', Suleiman-Adams-Payne-Rehak-Cleveland's 'Roots', etc.

- a blindfold test by John Coltrane. When Feather spins 'Soulville' by the Horace Silver Quintet, Coltrane comments:

'Horace... Is that Soulville? I've heard that - I think I have the record. Horace gave me that piece of music some time ago... I asked him to give some things that I might like to record and that was one of them. I've never got around to recording it yet, though. I like the piece tremendously - the composition is great. It has more in it than just "play the figure and then we all blow". It has a lot of imagination. The solos are all good... I think it's Hank Mobley and Art Farmer. I'll give 4 1/2 stars.',

- caught in the act reviews of the Ruby Braff Quartet at the Embers in New York, Erroll Garner at the Black Orchid, Chicago, etc.

The backcover is a full page Selmer ad illustrated with publicity shots of Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Tony Scott.

Back to you Chris! Hope I did not intrude ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...