I came across...

On that trip to NYC (a pre-Christmas indulgence on a visitor's visa), my wife and I enjoyed the Metropole Café a lot. It was in the Times Square area and great musicians played from a narrow platform behind the bar. One night, I made this watercolor sketch from memory after returning to our "newly renovated" Madison Square Hotel. It was across the street from what was then Madison Square Garden and the only thing that had been renovated was the front door.

My retained mental image was better than the sketch.

Metropoledrawing1955.jpg

Charlie Shavers, Chris?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked there in the summer of 1968. It was a rock/R&B joint by that time with go go girls. They had 4 bands a day and 4 shifts of 4 girls per set. Continuous from 12 noon to 4:00am. I worked the 8:00pm to 4:00 am shift. What a factory! I remember an agent named Sal DiGrande booked it exclusively.

Never seen a photo of Harry Lim before. Looked him up after seeing it and found that, after Keynote, he was on the A&R side at Seeco. Was he producing jazz records there, or Latin material?

MG

Back in the 1960's, when it was hard to find many jazz LP's in Boston, my friends and I would venture down to Sam Goody's in New York to get the latest Prestiges, hard to find Verves, and the like. There was an Asian guy working there who was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Years later I found out it was Harry Lim!

Never seen a photo of Harry Lim before. Looked him up after seeing it and found that, after Keynote, he was on the A&R side at Seeco. Was he producing jazz records there, or Latin material?

MG

Back in the 1960's, when it was hard to find many jazz LP's in Boston, my friends and I would venture down to Sam Goody's in New York to get the latest Prestiges, hard to find Verves, and the like. There was an Asian guy working there who was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Years later I found out it was Harry Lim!

Struth!

MG

I remember being in Sam Goody's store in March of 1965. A friend here in Toronto, John Norris, the owner of Sackville Records and then publisher and editor of Coda Magazine, suggested I look up his old friend from England, Jeff Atterton, who was a clerk there. I did, and Jeff introduced me to Harry Lim who also worked there. "Not Harry Lim of Keynote Records"?, I asked. And Harry Lim's comment was, "You mean somebody actually remembers?" He struck me as a sad little man who'd done great things and felt forgotten.

Yes, thanks!

I haven't seen Bob Wilber since the late 60s. I would not have recognized him.

Yes, Harold, he looks very different from the covers where he wore a beard... and now he's a man in his eighties!

BTW, Chris, many thanks for sharing all this material.

Many familiar names in that International Voting Pannel... though funnily I've never been in touch with the Spanish member (Julio MartĂ­)!

Joe McPhee is a great guy -

speaking of Jerry Rubin, I remember going to see him in Cambridge, maybe around that same time - he was making a lot of money with his new hip networking thing - someone in the crowd gave him a (justifiably) hard time about it, referred to the new "hip-ouisie" (not sure if that's the best way to spell it), an appropriate term for a new gneration of Yuppies who liked to use the phraseology and "style" of the hippie left to justify their own greed. Makes me think of terms like "lifestyle," and want to wretch -

This morning I came across some of the 78s I inherited from my good friend and engineer at Columbia, Larry Hiller...

...including a bunch of Jelly Roll Mortons... JellyRollHMCsJPG.jpg

JellyRollHMVJPG.jpgJellyRollGenerallabelJPG.jpg

I also came across a contact sheet from which this blurry photo is extracted. It is of Larry and I with trophies that we spent over two years working every night to earn.

LarryHillerandIonaGrammynight.jpg

Here's a nice photo of Lil Armstrong and one of her bands...

LilArmstrongOrchestra.jpg

Anyone recognize her sidemen?

Roy Palmer - trombone.

That recognition sent me to my library and I discovered - "Sugar Johnny" tpt, Lawrence Duhe clarinet, Wellman Braud bass. Doesn't look like Braud to me but that is what it says in the Keepnews/Grauer Pictorial History of Jazz.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I made a correction and added a photo to post #409.

Since I have your attention. is anyone here familiar with this record or, in fact this label? It features a couple of ok Lucky Thompson solos with a not-so-good trumpet player and a pedestrian big band. The label's owner was obviously Milt Noel (a songwriter?) and the flip side is "You Must Be Out Your Mind" (sic).

LuckyThompsonlabelNoel.jpg