I came across...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the items I come across trigger my memory, but there are some that I have no recollection of ever seeing before. Such is the case with this note, obviously written in the early Sixties, when I was at WNEW. What $50-a-week service did I perform for Korvette? Why did they owe me $125 rather than, say, $50 or $100? Finally, why do I have the original of this note? Did I change my mind? Did Korvette cough up? Hmmmmmm. Something in the back of my mind tells me that Kermit (no relation to the frog) was an account exec. Guess this is one little mystery that will remain just that.

WNEWnotetoKermit.jpg

Ah, Korvette ... really the first department store I knew, and most importantly the source for all of my 45s and the few LPs I had in the early 70s when my family lived on Long Island. Seems apparent to me that "saturation campaign" would refer to an ad buy that they did not live up to and probably canceled mid-week, thus resulting in a half-week being owed. Or did they make a separate arrangement with you Chris providing some sort of off-the-cuff mention of the chain while on the air?

Is that how they got the name, or did you make that up, Chuck?

Off the cuff mention? Dan, even when payola knocked on the door, I resisted. Turned out that, at WHAT in Philly, I was the only one who did—resist, that is. That said, don't you think even an off-the-cuff mention on a station like WNEW would be worth more than fifty dollars a week????? :)

According to Wikipedia, the name pre-dated the Korean War, so that is an urban legend.

Didn't mean to impugn your integrity, Chris but on the other hand, I was going to wonder aloud how many spots $50 got you in the early 60s - 50? A hundred? Plus another 50 in weekend rotation?

According to Wikipedia, the name pre-dated the Korean War, so that is an urban legend.

Didn't mean to impugn your integrity, Chris but on the other hand, I was going to wonder aloud how many spots $50 got you in the early 60s - 50? A hundred? Plus another 50 in weekend rotation?

if my info is wrong, I blame a former boss who started his record career working there in the early '50s.

Perhaps on a local Florida or Philly radio station,but not WNEW. Perhaps you can use as a yardstick the fact that William B. Williams' basic annual salary was over $100,000.