I came across...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris: Is it easy or realistic to get to Christiansø as a tourist? It seems like a wonderful place to spend a few contemplative days. Thanks!

Thank you series 500.

I grew up in numerous parts of the world, but my absolute favorite was Christiansø, an island so small that map makers often simply skip it. My grandparents lived there from around 1937 and into the late 1950s. I went to school there for awhile. It's an old fortress and you can walk around the main island in about 25 minutes (inside the granite walls that surround it). The adjoining island, Frederiksø, is smaller—the space between them is the harbor and they are joined by a narrow bridge that can be pulled aside for ships. Since exteriors may not be altered, the islands look the way they did 300 years ago, they have a population of about 140 people and they (the islands) are beautiful and peaceful. Here are 2 Google Earth views, to give you an idea of size and locality:

Edited by Peter Johnson

Apropos funny people, I also enjoyed working with Kenneth Williams, who drank Campari and soda and took pride in being the only actor who appeared in all the "Carry on..." movies.

Did you ever read his 'Diaries'? An extremely revealing read - and very successfully turned into a drama by the BBC a few years ago (I think it was called 'Fantabulosa'). Williams used to appear on prime-time TV chat shows on a very regular basis over here and his ability to ad-lib in outrageous manner was rarely surpassed.

Williams used to appear on prime-time TV chat shows on a very regular basis over here and his ability to ad-lib in outrageous manner was rarely surpassed.

I saw this happen on the Eamonn Andrews show where fellow guest Phil Silvers was clearly shocked by Williams' outrageously camp ad-libbing :lol: