I came across...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't like Mackovic? I'm with you on that one, Chris - never could stand his playing -

Dance did many great things - I do think that in the last decade or so of his life he was losing perspective - so many of his reviews seemed to hold up whatever he was reviewing to a personal standard that few could meet - as in "I could have done it better."

on the other hand he gave my first book a good review, so please disregard the previous paragraph -

I have been playing around with a new toy (all-in-one printer) so I haven't done too much digging. I'll get back to it later, in the meantime, here are a couple more photos from Elmer Snowden's wall. I doubt if anyone can identify the lady, but has anyone here heard of the bassist with the biblical name, Shadrach Lee?

Unknownlady.jpg

Strange photo - obviously very old, but look at those wedge-heeled sandals!

MG

i think im starting to understand here-

so you were freelance, so kind of like a 'private contractor' for columbia- because you could offer them goods or services they couldn't find elsewhere as good, and you were freelance as to work for many orginizations, and not go steady with Columbia

so intead of leaving the producers credit blank on the lps, john hammond, columbia big shot, wanted to slab his name on the jacket cause hell get $$.

Did this piss you off to hell, or were you not fazed by it cause people are horrible, and theres no way thats ever gonna change, so why get mad?

yes, you have enlightened- but i still think its kinda funny how almost the exact same situations that happened 40 + yrs ago at Columbia Records, happen in our workplaces today. Your story makes perfect sense to me beacuse I too have witnessed similar behaviors. Recently John Hammonds son came into down for a concert. I would of gladly kicked him in the balls for you. It would of been an honor

Elaine was later heard in a second edition of The Mamas and the Papas. I wonder what became of her.

"In 2003 Spanky, with co-producers Bobby & Leslie Sahlen, put together a Limited Edition CD compilation of unreleased live and demo goodies from several groups Spanky has shared the stage with since the early 1960s. There are three awesome cuts from the "Change" album era, a couple from The New Wine Singers, and a 5 song set with Little Brother Montgomery at Chicago's legendary Mother Blue's nightclub. Also included is a 1999 recording of "I Love How You Love Me" with friend and accompanist of 40+ years, Guy Guilbert.

Spanky and Our Gang, (original and latest "Gangers") can be seen on the PBS American Soundtrack Series "This Land Is Our Land: The Folk Rock Years 2" premiering nationally December 2003."

i am going to start seeking out these sort of Riverside dates. Back in T-town they had a promo copy of the Earl Hines one, complete with sort sort of little postcard about the album of some sort. I'm sure its still there, but probably 75 big ones

I bought a few of them a year ago. The Montgomery, Elmer Snowden's "Harlem banjo" and two Jim Robinson albums. I'm very happy indeed with them. I don't think you'll regret exploring these albums.

MG

On September 6, 1961, I produced an album with Little Brother Montgomery and the band he was working with in clubs at that time. He had a very young singer whose recording debut occurred at that session—she sang only one song, "Oh, Daddy." It wasn't until about ten years later, when a reader responded to a Stereo Review review of the pop group Spanky and Our Gang, that I found out that the shy young lady I had recorded in Chicago was that group's leader, Elaine "Spanky" McFarland. I had several of the group's albums, but I never made the connection.

Spanky returned the favor a few years later - Little Brother Montgomery appears on one track on one of the Spanky & Our Gang LP's.