BFT #24 - Discussion (Disc 2)

king ubu

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess for the bassist backing John Lewis & Hank Jones on # 9 is Percy Heath.

Not sure about the drummer, too low in the mix. Mickey Roker?

Both wrong, sorry! But then the drummer, while being a fine musician and longtime associate of another ebony tinkler, he's not a very individual player...

Soon, but I don't have all of it ready yet... quite a lot of work. I may post them as a work in progress or something, though, then I could start tomorrow or day after. I certainly planned to have something up by Sunday or Monday.

Will be a bit of a break till the discussion of Rooster's set starts, though, if I post them now, but I guess folks may lose interest, if I wait much longer, too.

I'll do my best!

Now, these are my answers for disc 2

1) It's "High Society" played by band unknown to me. A somewhat typical Dixie.

2) Voice? Don't know, but it's funny!

3) "On The Sunny Side". Everything suggest Johnny Hodges, probably some recording from his late career. Some of ad hoc ellingtonians sounded just like this. It is large ensemble, and the singer's voice sounds like Jimmie Witerspoon. It wouldn't miracle if its Hodges himself doing singing part :) Just kiddin'...

4) It's one of Duke's tunes, and his arrangements, played by some other band. Alto sounds like Carter, but it's only first-hand guessing;

5) Well, this is deep, colorful and mellow music I like so much! I think it belongs to some of Ellington's "pieces". Something suggest me Jimmy Hamilton, and the brass behind is masterpiece arranging;

6) "Basin Street Blues", Trummy Young doing singing? The rest of the band plays just like old N.O. - Dixie bands, and the singing is just like Armstrong did that tune. Trumpet is glorious, large, bright tone, yet sublime. Barney Bigard on clarinet maybe, Trummy again? And then it's another trumpet, different from the first, darker a bit. Nice, long take.

7) It's "Mood Indigo" taken in gloom, jungle feeling... Mingus maybe doin' Ellington?

8) Real nice tenor, I would like to hear a lot after hearing this. Very sensitive, quiet and it struggles great with chord progression of given tune.

9) Is it U(pper) M(edical) M (anhattan) G(roup) Blues - Ellington's (or Strayhorn) tune I have it on some old LP? It's the tune only Duke was capable to compose.

10) "Fly Me To The Moon" - it's not my type of song. But the organ player - his perfect sense for swing gives me good feeling throughout the piece. Who played guitar this way?

11) Another track and another tenor I like so much from this disc 2. Again, it's beautiful, again it's quiet, and I like it. He plays in short phrases, much dissonance low honking notes - he listen to Pres a lot - and the overall conception is "lestorian". This is probably the reason I like it so, but I like free spirit and unusual tone. Have no idea about the soloist, but surely will get more of this player. The ending suggest quotations from "Blues March", Messengers piece.

12) "Body And Soul" - can't recognize tenor player.

13) Well, who the hell is this? It's not Ellington.

14) You save real excitement for the end. Maybe it's Earl Hines at the piano. But - there is some more excitement in alto solo - and I can not think many people who has all that skill to play with such confidence way back than - Bud Johnson in early stages of his career, he played alto as well, right?

So these are my thinking of this beautiful BFT.

Thanks, man, it was real joy to listen to all that music you've sent to us! :excited:

• 2 months later...

Blindfold Test #24 Disc Two

1. Zany! Soundtrack to a circus act. NMCOT

2. "I joined Lionel Hampton in 19...shit." LOL!

3. Ah, something slow and bluesy. Nice, no idea.

4. Pretty sure I've heard this tune before, but I can't name it or identify who is performing.

5. No guess. I like how this builds to the emphatic climax at 1:30.

6. Louis Armstrong? No, not him. No wait, is it? "Basin Street Blues," I presume.

7. Fun! Phil Ranelin?

8. A very soothing ten and half minutes, amazing that the musicians do not lose focus over such a slow pace. I wish people would wait until the end to applaud. McCoy Tyner comes to mind.

9. Horace Silver-ish. Not bad, not great.

10. A bit corny to my ears at first. I like it better when it switches to organ and the guitar player gets going. Charles Earland and Melvin Sparks?

11. Reminds me of Jimmy Giuffre. Cool!

12. Low and cool like the previous track. Between #8, 11, and this one I'm a little drowsy! Nice stuff, though.

13. I don't recognize the voice.

14. Wheeling back to the early days, it's a rompin' good time. I don't know the singer, but those are some hilarious lyrics! Dude can tickle some ivories, too.