BFT #24 - Discussion (Disc 2)

king ubu

#1 - is not Dutch. D.D.: you know and love the guy.

#3 - again, is not Ellington, and not Hodges, either. And yes, it's a musician having fun (otherwise I wouldn't love it as much as I do).

#7 - D.D.: you'd hate it if the soprano would get a solo, I tellya, you hate that guy! ;)

#10 - yup, but I won't tell to who's guess... :w

#14 - again: this is kind of a bonus track. Thank John Litweiler - he brought me to the idea to include this... (HINT HINT HINT)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On to Disc 2, at last ...

Track 1: I know there are some excellent trad jazz bands in Switzerland, so I guess this is one of them. Well done, like this. Some famous tune but can't remember the title, do not listen to these things too often. The drummer's really into this, keeping a fine balance between tradition and more modern stylings.

Track 2: ?????

Track 3: Fake Duke and fake Rabbitt on the sunny side ... sorry - I prefer the original. Something's missing here, more than a little bit, nice effort, but not more. Fake Satchmo handling the vocals - oh no ..... not for me.

Track 4: Christopher Columbus. Same as track 3, but not quite as bad. Fake Little Jazz doing the trumpet solo.

Track 5: That's how the Duke's orchestra must have sounded with the three horn section tuned to slightly different pitches playing in different rooms, or in pijamas after being pulled out of bed at 4 a.m. after a very late concert.

Track 6: More imitators at work ... older styles are easier to do, or some veteran guesting. The trumpet sounds authentic this time. As with the previous tracks, the audience enjoyed it. No idea who this all is.

Track 7: King Albert of the European trombonedom doing Mood Indigo. Some details in the drum phrasing tell me this is the late, great Elvin on the drums - they were frequent collaborators. I understand Elvin tried to talk Albert into doing some US tours, but ...

I like this very, very much. One thing that usually turns me off with German jazz is that they all take themselves and the music so damn serious about 95% of the time, a real fat and funky groove or deep humour on the less intellectual side is rarely found. They play funky grooves, but a little too fast and not deep. They have problems with the real black groove. If you have ever heard an interview with Albert, he told us why - to set himself apart from certain aspects of German culture - and I can understand this. But if they forget about it all, and this was the case here, the results are hilarious. I have probably heard Albert play live more often than any other board member, living only a few miles from his home town, but I never heard him as humorous as this. Really great, and technically and musically accomplished as well. This is what his multiphonics are made for! Is there more of this concert? If so, I want this!!! NOW!!! The saxist, whoever it is, does wisely to stay in the background. The bassist tries, and is nice, but nobody can match Albert here. I see Elvin grinning and grunting his approval. Great stuff. This is worth keeping this disc alone!

Track 8: This existentialist sounding tenor may be a familiar name. Blood Count is the tune, one of Billy Strayhorn's last, and most heartfelt tunes, written in the hospital. Only problem is I can't forget Hodges' rendition on "And his mother called him Bill". Otherwise I might find this tops. Yes, really, very well done. I'm sure I know this tenor ... somehow I hear him play "Soul Eyes" - did he? No idea who the pianist could be.

Track 9: Some Duke composition. One of his more arresting tunes, can't recall its title right now. Some tune from the Blanton band repertoire? Nice effort. Pianist tries some real two-handed stuff - or is this two pianists?

Track 10: Oh - some Hammond flying to the moon! Very nice and sparingly played. No idea. The style sounds familiar, though. Good guitar solo. Nice climax! This is it!

Track 11: A Benny Golson tune - Whisper Not. Again a familiar sound. Very familiar! Oh sh.. this name is on my tongue ... Rhythm section really heats it up here - perhaps one chorus too many by the piano, he should have taken it out after that climax. Could do without the bass solo, but that's how live renditions are. Must have been a very good date.

Track 12: Indeed - one more? Body and Soul. This gets interesting. I will probably kick myself for not recognizing that tenor. Where's Jim Sangrey to tell us?

Track 13: Know that voice, but ... (same as track 2?)

Track 14: Very nice pre-bop. Great closer - who is this?

Thanks again, your royal highness - royal job! :tup

And now on to the others' guesses .....

Golson!!!  :rmad: I NEVER get him on these Blindfold Tests! NEVER!!! Read my guesses to previous BTs that he was on! This is the nicest I have ever heard him play - would like to have this.

:lol:

I know that Duke tune on track 9, let me compare!

It has been identified further above!

More comments on your guesses coming!

Track 1: I know there are some excellent trad jazz bands in Switzerland, so I guess this is one of them. Well done, like this. Some famous tune but can't remember the title, do not listen to these things too often. The drummer's really into this, keeping a fine balance between tradition and more modern stylings.

Not Swiss...

Track 3: Fake Duke and fake Rabbitt on the sunny side ... sorry - I prefer the original. Something's missing here, more than a little bit, nice effort, but not more. Fake Satchmo handling the vocals - oh no ..... not for me.

This is less false than it seems, this is not a youngster, no sir!

Track 5: That's how the Duke's orchestra must have sounded with the three horn section tuned to slightly different pitches playing in different rooms, or in pijamas after being pulled out of bed at 4 a.m. after a very late concert.

:lol:

Me, I just love the clarinet here!

(@Marty: not Hamilton, sorry!)

Track 6: More imitators at work ... older styles are easier to do, or some veteran guesting. The trumpet sounds authentic this time. As with the previous tracks, the audience enjoyed it. No idea who this all is.

Watch it, mister! Imitators!!! :rmad::rmad::rmad:

Track 7: King Albert of the European trombonedom doing Mood Indigo. Some details in the drum phrasing tell me this is the late, great Elvin on the drums - they were frequent collaborators. I understand Elvin tried to talk Albert into doing some US tours, but ...

I like this very, very much. One thing that usually turns me off with German jazz is that they all take themselves and the music so damn serious about 95% of the time, a real fat and funky groove or deep humour on the less intellectual side is rarely found. They play funky grooves, but a little too fast and not deep. They have problems with the real black groove. If you have ever heard an interview with Albert, he told us why - to set himself apart from certain aspects of German culture - and I can understand this. But if they forget about it all, and this was the case here, the results are hilarious. I have probably heard Albert play live more often than any other board member, living only a few miles from his home town, but I never heard him as humorous as this. Really great, and technically and musically accomplished as well. This is what his multiphonics are made for! Is there more of this concert? If so, I want this!!! NOW!!! The saxist, whoever it is, does wisely to stay in the background. The bassist tries, and is nice, but nobody can match Albert here. I see Elvin grinning and grunting his approval. Great stuff. This is worth keeping this disc alone!

Good reading! And props for finally identifying the late great Elvin!

Track 8: This existentialist sounding tenor may be a familiar name. Blood Count is the tune, one of Billy Strayhorn's last, and most heartfelt tunes, written in the hospital. Only problem is I can't forget Hodges' rendition on "And his mother called him Bill". Otherwise I might find this tops. Yes, really, very well done. I'm sure I know this tenor ... somehow I hear him play "Soul Eyes" - did he? No idea who the pianist could be.

I'm not sure about "Soul Eyes" and have a feeling you're mixing this guy up with someone else... :w

However, he certainly could do a whole lot with "Soul Eyes"!

Track 9: Some Duke composition. One of his more arresting tunes, can't recall its title right now. Some tune from the Blanton band repertoire? Nice effort. Pianist tries some real two-handed stuff - or is this two pianists?

One is two, two is one... brotherly stuff?

Track 12: Indeed - one more? Body and Soul. This gets interesting. I will probably kick myself for not recognizing that tenor. Where's Jim Sangrey to tell us?

Oh, I really hope Sangrey won't nail this one! This is the great mystery man... the huuuuge surprise. I won't give no hints here :w

Track 13: Know that voice, but ... (same as track 2?)

Nope, not the same guy, but you id-ed this brother correctly elsewhere. The guy on #2 is performing on this disc as well, btw.

Track 14: Very nice pre-bop. Great closer - who is this?

As I said: say thank you to Mr. Litweiler...

Thanks again, your royal highness - royal job! :tup

And now on to the others' guesses .....

Glad you enjoyed it, Mike!

ubu

Forgot to add: this is blasphemy! :angry:

ubu B-)

1.- Revival band doing traditional brass band thing. Modern recording (I´d guess after 70´s). Tune should be recognized.

2.- Who joined Lionel Hampton in nineteen… shit???

3.- “On the sunny side of the street”. First impression of this sweet alto would be Hodges, but no, definitely it´s not him. Vocalist = Satchmo imitator (he´s not that bad, I´d say).

4.- “Christopher Columbus”.

5.- Ellington composition… what on hell is the name? From one of his suites, I´d say. Hey, this is about imitators, ain´t it? ;) Hamilton-like clarinet, but not Jimmy.

6.- “Basin street blues”. Gotta check it, but I think it´s from the Eastbourne concert, late, very late, in fact, last Ellington!!! But is this guy Money Johnson???

7.- Who dares destroy Ellington´s masterpiece? “Mood Indigo”, that is. Nah, just joking, I find this version quite interesting and original. Mangelsdorff or Rudd on trombone???

8.- Strayhorn´s “Blood count”. Nice and warm tenor. No idea who he is, though.

9.- Nice rendition (at a slower tempo) of “Ko-ko”. Two pianists, right? This disc is turning into an Ellingtonian binge, and that´s great!

10.- “Fly me to the moon”. Organ plus guitar. Tension grows through the piece to reach a wonderful peak.

11.- “Whisper not”. Nice, warm and unidentified –at least by me- tenor (again)

12.- “Body and soul”. Oh, this is about precious tenors now. Wonderful track, Flurin!

13.- Elvin Jones´s voice. Is it? I had the enormous luck to attend one of his concerts a few months before he died… and that´s how I remember his voice.

14.- “Ja-da” (Bob Carlton). I don´t have this version, but maybe I should recognize pianist and vocalist. And saxophonist?

Nice compilation, Flurin. Though unexpectedly more Ducal than Royal… :g

ubu B-)

If this is the Ducal band, it's one of the sloppiest performances I have heard. Never heard that Eastbourne concert.

ubu B-)

If this is the Ducal band, it's one of the sloppiest performances I have heard. Never heard that Eastbourne concert.

Sloppy or not, it's fun and me loves! And it's not that late at all, sirs!

EKE: :tup on nailing the tune on #5!

#1: (from a Zurich point of view: south of the border...)

ubu

So, will my screen name be changed into b3-er? ^_^

Hmmm, not sure... I think your guess on #6 is too far off. You won't, for this reason, be allowed to use the handle "EKE BBB" any longer. I say we shorten it to BBB, assuming you'd nail any tune from that composition correctly - if this is proven wrong, you'll be renamed... well, nothing would remain, nothing at all, then... ;)

EKE: :tup on nailing the tune on #5!

#1: (from a Zurich point of view: south of the border...)

ubu

So, will my screen name be changed into b3-er? ^_^

Hmmm, not sure... I think your guess on #6 is too far off. You won't, for this reason, be allowed to use the handle "EKE BBB" any longer. I say we shorten it to BBB, assuming you'd nail any tune from that composition correctly - if this is proven wrong, you'll be renamed... well, nothing would remain, nothing at all, then... ;)

I was not very sure on the Eastbourne thing. I haven´t heard it for a while, and the tune and even the atmosphere I remembered WAS at this #6. But was not sure at all on the vocalist (Money Johnson on the Eastbourne performance).

Assuming it´s an Ellington-related track, give me a couple of days to see if I can nail it.... or wait for brownie to post his guesses! B-)

I'm still on my second listen. This disc is not what it seemed at first. Hints to the contrary notwithstanding, I find myself in sympathy with some of the "fake" and "imitator" comments. Yesterday, when I was listening to the first part of the disc while walking around, somebody bumped me and set off the 'repeat' button -- wound up listening to "Basin Street" three times before I could get the walkman out and fix it -- that track did not wear well -- once was enough.

It was a different story today. "Mood Indigo" -- could I have missed it the first time around? -- is a delightful surprise with its unusual instrumentation. A lot of space. Cerebral and fun at the same time. Eager to hear more from this performance.

"Whisper Not" is a joy, like a many-roomed castle -- I could settle in and explore for a long time.

"Body and Soul" is making me crazy in the nicest way. The sound is so familiar, but I can't place it. By turns it puts me in mind of Frank Morgan, Art Pepper, and .... on an on, yet it's not precisely any one of them. If I had to guess, I'd say Archie Shepp, although I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Oh well, I'm sorry so many among you don't like the "imitators"... just let me stress again that #6 is no imitation of nothing, and not latest Duke, either.

Also on #3 and #4: these are, in my humble opinion, just two pieces of good fun, not much more, but nothing less, either. Good fun sometimes is enough for my kind...

#5: I just love the clarinet here, no matter how sloppy or bad the rest of it is. Thought these two minutes couldn't hurt too much, but...

Then the tenors-segment is a whole other story... "Blood Count" and "Whisper Not" and "Body and Soul" are in my humble opinion three masterly performances, and while the middle one was correctly pinned, the others remain mysteries (and hopefully so till the end... :w)

I'm also very fond of the last Ellingtonian-track, "Ko-Ko"... I'd enjoy you trying to find out if there's one or two tinklers... there most certainly are no overdubs there. Can't say no more right now.

On "Mood Indigo": I'm absolutely with Mike there (though not knowing Mangelsdorff nearly as well): I find this a stunning performance, with tons of musical humour (which is not working against the mood of the piece at all, in my opinion), and Elvin is terrific there, as only he could be.

I'm also very fond of the last Ellingtonian-track, "Ko-Ko"... I'd enjoy you trying to find out if there's one or two tinklers... there most certainly are no overdubs there. Can't say no more right now.

Nice piece. Some AMG research didn´t bring any answer. I will try it again tonight! ^_^

Nice piece. Some AMG research didn´t bring any answer. I will try it again tonight! ^_^

AMG won't help you any... rather rely on your ears (I know they're wide open... from funny rats to Bix and back again...)

Glad you're with me on the fun-side! Maybe others are, too, but don't find these tracks to be any fun...

On #5: genuine Ellingtonia, yup! But then again, no use checking AMG... :w