BFT #24 - Discussion (Disc 2)

king ubu

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On #5: genuine Ellingtonia, yup! But then again, no use checking AMG... :w

You mean #6, the Basin Street blues track, don´t you?

and Ray Nance wasn't the vocalist on that? Sure sounded like him.

:tup!

(Sorry if you said so before - I must have over-read it!)

6) Could this be Duke's band at some kind of party because otherwise I don't think "Basin St. Blues" is normally his thing. Vocalist reminds me of Ray Nance.

Just saw that... sorry for not letting you know earlier, Marty! (I guess I thought it would spoil some fun if I chimed in back then, and afterwards I forgot, so again: sorry!)

Track #6

Assuming it´s an Ellington-related track, give me a couple of days to see if I can nail it.... or wait for brownie to post his guesses! B-)

:w

October 9, 1959

Kongresshauss, Zurich (Switzerland)

Clark Terry, Ray Nance, Quentin Jackson, Russell Procope, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Woode, James Johnson

Of course, Ray Nance on vocals (shame on me!!!)

Cheers,

Agustín

Track #6

Assuming it´s an Ellington-related track, give me a couple of days to see if I can nail it.... or wait for brownie to post his guesses!  B-)

October 9, 1959

Clark Terry, Ray Nance, Quentin Jackson, Russell Procope, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Woode, James Johnson

Cheers,

Agustín

What's your source, Agu? Lord? It's correct, anyway!

I'm also very fond of the last Ellingtonian-track, "Ko-Ko"... I'd enjoy you trying to find out if there's one or two tinklers... there most certainly are no overdubs there. Can't say no more right now.

Track 9

After listening to MJQ´s version of "Ko-Ko" (in "For Ellington" disc), I´ll go with mikeweil and say John Lewis is one of the two pianists.

Track #6

Assuming it´s an Ellington-related track, give me a couple of days to see if I can nail it.... or wait for brownie to post his guesses!  B-)

October 9, 1959

Cheers,

Agustín

I am a very well informed guy! :rolleyes:

Is your source a video tape?

Track #6

October 9, 1959

Cheers,

Agustín

No. The video was recently seeded over on easytree.org, but I didn't get it (it was labelled Germany, and maybe with a wrong year, too, and no personnel info etc). My source is a 1999 re-broadcast by swiss radio. I have more music than the video includes (assuming that thing on EZtree which was 40 or 45 minutes long is all there is on video).

:tup on Lewis, btw!

Track #6

October 9, 1959

Cheers,

Agustín

No. The video was recently seeded over on easytree.org, but I didn't get it (it was labelled Germany, and maybe with a wrong year, too, and no personnel info etc). My source is a 1999 re-broadcast by swiss radio. I have more music than the video includes (assuming that thing on EZtree which was 40 or 45 minutes long is all there is on video).

:tup on Lewis, btw!

Here´s the complete entry on Timner:

October 9, 1959

Kongresshaus

Zurich, Switzerland

Duke Elligton and his Orchestra:

Clark Terry, Andre Ford, Cat Anderson, Ray Nance, Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson, Jimmy Hamilton, Russell Procope, Paul Gonsalves, Harry Carney, Duke Ellington, Jimmy Woode, James Johnson, Lil Greenwood

-Take the A train

-Black and Tan Fantasy - Creole Love Call - The Mooche

-Such sweet thunder

-Sonnet for Hank Cinq

-Kinda Dukish/Rockin´ in Rhythm

-All of me

-VIP´s boogie

-Jam with Sam

-El Gato

-Medley (Sophisticated Lady - Just squeeze me (vRN) - It don´t mean a thing (vRN) - Solitude (vLG) - Satin doll - I let a song go out of my heart/Don´t get around much anymore)

-Basin street blues (vRN)

Entire band

-Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue

As listed, video only contans Jam with Sam, El Gato, the medley, Basin Street blues and Diminuendo...

Of course, highly interested in getting this recording! :excited:

Hm, strange. Here's what I have:

1. A Train

2./3. unknown (too lazy to find out what these are)

4. St Louis Blues (Greenwood)

5. Bill Bailey (Greenwood)

6. Walkin' (or I'm Walkin') (Greenwood)

7. Medley: Do Nothin > Don't Get Around > Sentimental Mood > Beginning to see > Soph.Lady > Caravan > Solitude > Satin Doll > Squeeze Me > It Don't Mean a Thing > I Let a Song > Don't Get Around

8. Basin Street Blues

9. Happy Reunion

10. Diminuendo & Crescendo in Blue (inc)

Pretty different. Could some of this come from February 19, 1962? From there I have

11. The Eighth Veil

12. Kinda Dukish/Rockin' in Rhythm

At least that's what the announcer in 1999 said...

Edited by king ubu

sorry if this has been already covered but i don't want to read the discussion threads.

my guesses for disc 2 are quite easy:The Sound of Silence from Simon&Garfunkel :D

my disc has 14 tracks, it starts reading but there's no music at all.

i have tried on 3 different players and it's the same thing. really weird

Ubu, would you mind on a future vine to add the second disc for me?

thanks in advance

Marcus

sorry if this has been already covered but i don't want to read the discussion threads.

my guesses for disc 2 are quite easy:The Sound of Silence from Simon&Garfunkel :D

thanks in advance

Marcus

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this, Marcus! I'll do a copy right ahead! I hope you're the only one with this problem!

my guesses for disc 2 are quite easy:The Sound of Silence from Simon&Garfunkel  :D

thanks in advance

Marcus

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear this, Marcus! I'll do a copy right ahead! I hope you're the only one with this problem!

actually, Marcus, I'm not familiar with Simon & Garfunkel - look at it as an extended version of 4'33" ;)

Another outing with these a few times. (I hasten to post just because i need better things to read on the board these days. ;) not much better than others' commentaries on these BFTs mind you) Eager to see what's what as this is such a crazy set.

Track 1 - An opening march that Frisell might enjoy had he played on the last cut from the first disc. Must be a sort of Hannibalistic Beer Fest theme from the land of the King.

Track 2 - ?

Track 3 - "Sunny Side" by ?

Track 4 - yet another category of this fine medium that largely eludes me. everything starts to sound like "Tuxedo Junction" to me.

Track 5 - A rare Lacy tidbit.

Track 6 - Easy picking out the title. Surprised to hear that little Gershwin lick in the trumpet solo, nice. Is this the same vox as on "Sunny Side" ?

Track 7 - At first I thought this might be a Clusone 3 (Michael Moore came to mind at the end) setting with Ray Anderson guesting but the bone is too sublime for Ray. Looked to my stack sitting next and I see this Dutch October meeting disc that has a piece w/ three bones and thinking Dutch the only name that is recognized by me is Wolter Wierbos. So that's my only namesake of a guess thus far for this "Indigo Mood".

Track 8 - Another splendid dinner time beauty. And pretty long too! Might be a Wayne Shorter sound here?

Track 9 - Oh yeah, I like this baby. Lot of simple swank in that left. While it is definitely not him because too many runs and not enough staccato I'll throw out a Danish Parlan side.

Track 10 - Nice swank-gue (sawank - way). I love how this takes off into the bottom of the groove right at that lyrical part after "in other words", you know these boys got more to say than just "I love you". A bit fraid of commitment? No way are they afraid to get greazy ... as Big Joe Turner would have said; "AL!". Damn this is on fire. The zamboni is one sooped monster truck for this ride. McDuff? SHEEEEIT! as those who have gone before might say.

Track 11 - Now I know this tune but my head is still listening to the last one. Another damn beautiful piece.

Track 12 - Another just like the other. But " B&S". I can't figure any theme to these two BFTs for the life of me but it is there.

Track 13 - ? hmmmm. Interested to find out the two speakers here on disc II.

Track 14 - Back to the business that started this whole round. Another great track.

and another great disc. this will be enjoyed for some time I am certain.

Kudos to Ubu!!! (as opposed to oboes for kudu) many :tup s

edit my typink

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Saw Mike's posts. I was gonna say Mangelsdorf, honest, but as my only exposure came via BFT couw, thought his tone was more of the straight up variety. You guys are good, how'd he pick Elvin on that? :tup

And I need to listen to "Whisper Not" more. Whenever I hear it I think it's the love theme from Les Liaisons Dangereuses or something.

Too many tunes in the head. Seeing a mighty long Ellingtonish string holding this all together. :w

Saw Mike's posts. I was gonna say Mangelsdorf, honest, but as my only exposure came via BFT couw, thought his tone was more of the straight up variety. You guys are good, how'd he pick Elvin on that? :tup

And I need to listen to "Whisper Not" more. Whenever I hear it I think it's the love theme from Les Liaisons Dangereuses or something.

Too many tunes in the head. Seeing a mighty long Ellingtonish string holding this all together. :w

That ducal string is part of the theme of disc 2 :tup

I guess it's too obvious, the second part of the theme is even more obvious...

just to let you know that "Fly Me To The Moon" was the highlite at the studio today. The shop model builder and all around crazy gipetto guy named it in the first note and the others were animated as i had it going at full volume. they still have a time with the concept of somebody from switzerland sending discs all over the world for people to guess tunes. seems perfectly normal to me. :g

just to let you know that "Fly Me To The Moon" was the highlite at the studio today. The shop model builder and all around crazy gipetto guy named it in the first note and the others were animated as i had it going at full volume. they still have a time with the concept of somebody from switzerland sending discs all over the world for people to guess tunes. seems perfectly normal to me. :g

:D