Syndication........

The additional editing that takes place when a show becomes syndicated is really infuriating IMHO. They edit additionally to add yet more commercials and frequently cut off lines, scenes etc.

Anytime there is a last segment after the credits (like on Seinfeld) they reduce the image and shove it into a corner and start showing ads.

For example, I was watching the Seinfeld episode where Mel Torme is singing "When You're Smiling" to a "mentally-challenged" Kramer, and the final word "YOU!" that Kramer sings, the punchline of the whole bit, was cut off! Ruined the whole show.

And why do they even bother running credits on movies? They distort, reduce and speed up the crawl so it provides NO information whatsoever. I'm sure it's because of legal obligations, but what's the point?

:rmad::tdown:rmad::tdown:rmad:

Edited by Free For All

Haven't television shows in the US always suffered from cuts when syndicated to local stations? As a former trekkie, I remember that this was a regular complaint twenty years ago. (The familiar grows tiresome eventually.)

The squeezing of the end credit sequences happens here too, though mainly only on the more commercial channels. Damn the practice.

Yes, it's been going for a long time. Every now and then the insensitivity of the editing just gets me riled up all over again. :angry:

Speaking of the UK, I'm always shocked at the lousy American TV shows that find their way to TV over there. I'm totally embarrassed that ANYONE has to see the Jerry Springer show. Really presents an accurate cross-section of America. <_<:tdown

I guess people want to watch that stuff. Yuck.

You are so right!!!! If you wonder how stupid network types think we are, just watch a few syndicated shows. In the lower portion of the screen...in zooms the important news....YOU ARE WATCHING FRIENDS!!!

It then zooms away...then comes.....NEXT THE SIMPSONS!!!! Gee, Thanks....I wasn't sure what I was watching! :angry::angry::angry:

Cable networks are no better. My Mom will be watching a B&W Perry Mason on Hallmark. They will shrink the credits, so you don't get to see the name of the guest stars, to show you that there is another Perry up next! <_<

Wonder why the unions don't fight not getting viewable credits at the end of TV shows, and movies??? I have even seen them do this on some pay channels, shrink credits so can know what's on next...

The ending credits on movies are getting longer and longer - and yes, apparently it is required that credits be shown on television (otherwise why wouldn't they just cut them?) - but isn't there any legal requirement that they be legible? Pretty soon to fit in the immense credits from a movie they will need to start them 15 minutes before the ending time.

Mike

I read that the long list of movie credits is due to the fact that without them the individual who did the work can't prove that he did, and may be lying on his resume. So the unions negotiated the credit-listing of (virtually?) every employee so that he can verify the accuracy of his resume.

What I find annoying, FFA only touches on:

The editing within scenes that, cumulatively allow one more thirty second spot. This is especially clear on Seinfeld episodes, where little bits and pieces have disappeared.

Obviously it comes back to the almighty dollar, and considering the price paid for Seinfeld in syndication, I guess they've got to make their money back somewhere.

But it still stinks.

:excited::tdown

The editing within scenes that, cumulatively allow one more thirty second spot.  This is especially clear on Seinfeld episodes, where little bits and pieces have disappeared.

Oh, I definitely notice those edits. You're thinking "wasn't there more to that scene"? I think it's funny to see those cuts and think "apparently the syndication editor thought that was something that could be left out". And usually what they leave out is some of the best stuff. Frequently anything that is remotely subtle gets cut. I hate that shit!!

I know it's about money. Everything in the world is about money. :angry::tdown

In addition to all the aforementioned additional scene snippage being dimviewed here, they've also develope a more subtle digital means of compressing the show and speeding it up so an ADDITIONAL :30 spot can be shoehorned in.

Of course, everyone is focused on the heavy handed re-editing , so the usually don't notice the speedup.

( posted by one who has usually been a casualty of the the high speed credit crawl throughout most of my working life! )

:eye:

The editing within scenes that, cumulatively allow one more thirty second spot. This is especially clear on Seinfeld episodes, where little bits and pieces have disappeared.

:excited::tdown

This really pisses me off. Not only Seinfeld but any show that's in repeat----and what gets me is it's often the very part of the scene that I was LOOKING FORWARD TO that's cut out!!! Aaaargh!

It's gotten to the point where, for an hour show they only film, what, about 42 minutes-worth now...then the network repeats it and they've got to cut some scenes to fit MORE damn commercials??????????????????? It just plain sucks.

In addition to all the aforementioned additional scene snippage being dimviewed here, they've also develope a more subtle digital means of compressing the show and speeding it up so an ADDITIONAL :30 spot can be shoehorned in.

I have noticed how the opening theme-music to Late Nite With Conan O'Brien has been speeded up over the years. It's sad. Kind of ridiculous, too.

this is also why it's hopless to try and watch a movie on many stations - I've seen them leave out entire scenes that were essential to the plot, and only the fact that I'd seen the movie before enabled me to understand what the hell was going on -

I remember having that problem when I saw Dune. Oh wait; that was in the theatre...