Computer speakers or mini system for office

J Larsen

As I'm doing more and more of my listening (and living) in my office, I'm looking to upgrade my office sound system. Currently I just have a Sony Discman (circa 1996) plugged into a set of Altec-Lansing computer speakers. I used to have a pair of much-better sounding Labtec computer speakers, but they died on me. The Altecs sound embarrasingly bad - very boomy base, brittle treble and basically zero mid-range.

Any recommendations for a decent sounding boom box, mini system, or computer speakers for under $200? Thanks in advance.

PS: I can't go the headphone route. It's not practical for me.

I use a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system for my computer. Well, I did and then moved it to my living room - it works well enough for that. You can find these online, but I'm not sure about retailers, if you're interested in going and listening in. You can get one of these systems for $200 or thereabouts.

I use a Sharp minidisc shelf system on my computer now. Sharp shelf systems sound nice, for the price. I've had two of them and have always been very happy with them. Best Buy carries a number of shelf systems and boomboxes for under $200. Listening is always best before buying something. They have lots of different computer speaker systems as well, and you can try all of them out.