The Jazz Scene (Verve 2CD)

marcoliv

There is some essential stuff on it not available anywhere else at the moment, especially the Harry Carney and Billy Strayhorn sides, and all the takes of Machito's Tanga. Ralph Burns and George Handy tracks are rare, too. The photos are great, the price is nice. Go for it!

You're gonna love it! I bought it when it first came out and still play it once or twice a year... interesting that the original 78-folio-packet was, in some ways (IMO) a forerunner of Mosaic in terms of marketing (limited edition, aimed at a connoisseur audience, a certain scholarly "coffeetable"--which sounds uncomfortably pejorative, don't really mean it that way--angle to the presentation). The CD re-issue, as others have said above, beautiful to both listen to and peruse.

Guest DizzySpells

Thanks for the heads up on that one. The second I finished reading the first recommendations I knew this might just be something for me, connected to amazon.de and (sorry to anyone else who came after me), snatched up a mint copy for 12 Euro. Got it today and am listening to it now.

Great stuff!

And, for once, nifty Verve packaging.

Love it!

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up on that one. The second I finished reading the first recommendations I knew this might just be something for me, connected to amazon.de and (sorry to anyone else who came after me), snatched up a mint copy for 12 Euro. Got it today and am listening to it now.

Great stuff!

Love it!

Thanks!

:tup! enjoy!

Great stuff!

Love it!

Thanks!

Glad you liked it. I think the packaging is quite nifty on this one. I heard about this cd from Phil Schaap several years ago on his Bird show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I just received this in the mail yesterday. Even with all of the rave reviews of the packaging, I was still surprised at how extravagant it was and am greatly enjoying the music. How worried should I be about the discs getting scratched up by the cardboard envelopes, either in storage or while trying to remove the discs? Has anyone had any issues with that?