Iron Maiden Covers

Soulstation1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8.jpg

This was the picture from the Powerslave tour book & t-shirt. I saw that tour at the Capitol Center D.C., January 28, 1985. Definitely one of the most memorable experiences from my teenage years. I later found out that We Are The World was recorded the same night as that Maiden show. :lol:

Iron-Maiden-Maiden-Japan-3068.jpg

I really like the early Paul Dianno stuff better, there was a raw edge to the band that was lost when Dickinson took over. I still like the first few albums with Bruce, but the Killers era band was pretty incredible, hungry and just tapping into the sound they would build the rest of their career on.

A girlfriend I had back in high school had an uncle who was a roadie and she used to get all kinds of backstage passes (mostly used) and memorabilia from him. When she moved she gave me some of this stuff, of which there was a back stage pass from the Powerslave tour and one of Dave Murray's wristbands.

Saw them on the Somewhere in Time tour back in '87. By then the whole Eddie thing was becoming pretty tiresome for me, especially by the time when the end of the show came 'round, a 40 foot tall Eddie comes piling out from behind the drumset. Album-wise, ironically, I'm partial to Powerslave, but I cared for Piece of Mind the least. I always thought that album was a bit overrated. The first couple of albums are boss though where they had a grittier, punkier sound.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just got back on an Iron Maiden kick recently. Been enjoying Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son quite a bit. Those were the last two album I paid any attention to...and they've held up much better than I remember.

I also agree with the comment that Piece Of Mind is overrated, I think it's the weakest record they released in the 80's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...