"East Wind" catalog to be reissued in U.S. by 411

Rooster_Ties

441 introduces Test of Time Records

441 Records Corporation is proud to announce the launch of a new label imprint, TEST OF TIME Records. In the modern recording era, it has become increasingly rare for quality collections of superbly preserved projects to be presented to the public. One such series of remaining rarities is the East Wind Masterpiece Collection line from Japan. 441 Records Corporation now introduces on Compact Disc some of the best sounding Jazz from the late ‘70s on its new TEST OF TIME trademark that will feature over thirty important, fantastic recordings, starting in late March 2005.

More typical press-release type jibber-jabber. Sounds like much of the entire East Wind catalog will see the light of day again, if I'm reading the quote above the right way. Here's the complete East Wind catalog, FWIW: CLICK HERE

Release date 3/29/05

TOT-1 Hommage

Andrew Hill

TOT-2 At The Village Vanguard

The Great Jazz Trio

Release date 4/19/05

TOT-3 Yesterday's Thoughts

Art Farmer

TOT-4 Confirmation

Sheila Jordan

Other upcoming titles

The Summer Knows

Art Farmer

At The Village Vanguard 2

The Great Jazz Trio

Nefertiti

Andrew Hill

At The Village Vanguard Again

The Great Jazz Trio

Hanky Panky

Hank Jones

Blue Black

Andrew Hill

To Duke With Love

Art Farmer

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Art Farmers are really nice, IMO ('To Duke With Love' in particular. With Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins how can you go wrong B-) ) and its good to see the Hills back. East Wind vinyls of these seem to be quite rare.

Edited by sidewinder

I was at a recording session this last Sunday with Joe Locke and Geoffrey Keezer. The producer and label owner, for Eighty-Eights, is the highly respected Mr. Itoh, who owned and produced East Wind.

Here is a photo of Mr. Itoh and Geoffrey Keezer from the session.

Edited by marcello

I've got 3 EW/Inner City Great Jazz Trio albums:

"At the Village Vanguard"

"Milestones"

"New Wine in Old Bottles" w/Jackie McLean

Also one of those direct-to-disks:

"Love for Sale" w/Buster Williams (the others have Ron Carter)

They're ALL excellent, BTW. :tup

I have 3 of the EW titles on vinyl that were done 'direct to disc' back in the day.  I consider them good albums, with unbelievable sonics.   The LA Four/Pavane...  is my favorite.

My favourite of these is 'The Pentagon', with Clifford Jordan, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins. That one just cooks. I also have the East Winds of some of the Farmers, the Oliver Nelson and some of the Great Jazz Trio's. Like them all. Pressing quality infinitely superior to the Inner Cities.

That 'LA 4/Pavanne' is also pretty nice too. As is Joe Sample 'The Three'.

Edited by sidewinder

The EastWind vinyls were marvellous. Excellent music, superb packaging and audio. My copies are still as new and as glossy as on the day they came out of the producing plant. I have played them and enjoyed so very often!

Also recommended EW vinyl was Al Haig's 'Duke'n Bird'

Will be looking for that Andrew Hill 'Blue Black'!

Homage is a solo recording from Hill I haven't in my collection. Nefertit and Blue Black are excellent records. The quality of music and the pressing itself is great as Brownie mentioned before.

Both recordings are fitting perfectly into the post Blue Note catalog of Andrew Hill. Almost the same high standard! :tup:tup:tup

I was at a recording session this last Sunday with Joe Locke and Geoffrey Keezer. The producer and label owner, for Eighty-Eights, is the highly respected Mr. Itoh, who owned and produced East Wind.

do you know yaso-san's nickname and how he earned it...?

B-) ,

-e-

Sure, Itoh San's nickname is 'Eighty Eights" because he was /is a pianist.