Finally! An A&E "Live by Request" worth watching

Dan Gould

They should put Jimmy Smith on. Can you imagine that?

Caller: "Hi, Mr. Smith. Oh man, I've been listening to your music forever! You're the greatest."

Jimmy: "Goddammit."

Caller: "Anyway, would you play Walk On The..."

Jimmy: "Yeah yeah, I know! Walk on the Goddamn Wild Side! I'll play it. I've been walking on the wild side since before you were born..."

They should put Jimmy Smith on. Can you imagine that?

Caller: "Hi, Mr. Smith. Oh man, I've been listening to your music forever! You're the greatest."

Jimmy: "Goddammit."

Caller: "Anyway, would you play Walk On The..."

Jimmy: "Yeah yeah, I know! Walk on the Goddamn Wild Side! I'll play it. I've been walking on the wild side since before you were born..."

:g:lol::P

I had that exact same conversation about fifteen or so years ago. Not quite as tempered language-wise.

Did anyone happen to catch this? In an amazing bit of bad timing, we've had horrific storms in south Florida and the cable has gone on and off for the last three days. Of course, it was on at 8 pm but by 9 it was off again. The only thing that kept me from tossing the TV set through the window was the knowledge that a friend had already programmed his TiVo so that he could burn a CD for me. Now I'll have to ask him to burn a videotape, too. :(

BTW, I saw a print ad for this which mentioned a special guest, Jeff Beck. All I can say is, I hope he didn't ruin it. There's no reason whatsoever to bring anyone else on but BB and his band. BB don't need no "special guests".

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, why all the unnecessary pot shots at Elton John, Billy Joel, and now Jeff Beck? Hate to break it to you, but Clapton made an appearance as well. And Jewel. It was actually pretty nice the way his "disciples" honored him last night.

Ray

p.s. I was just kidding about Jewel... ;)

I just don't think its necessary for his "disciples" to be brought on ... I think its the way they try to make a black man more "presentable" to white bread America. If you insist on having "special guests," fine, but it ought not to be necessary to promote that fact.

Which brings us to my "dis" of Elton John and Billy Joel. Anyone who has seen these A&E shows knows that they have been a huge success catering to white bread, top-40, pop music loving baby boom America.

B.B. King fits in how?

I just don't think its necessary for his "disciples" to be brought on ... I think its the way they try to make a black man more "presentable" to white bread America

Do you really think that Jeff Beck's pyrotechnics somehow help cater to white bread America? B.B. and Jeff are touring together this summer. I'm assuming that Jeff guesting with B.B. was a business decision that B.B. wholeheartedly endorsed. At this point in B.B.'s career he caters to no one. I think! B)