Hank Jones

Daniel A

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and Hank is only on four tracks! But there is plenty of Hank on the Milt Jackson Savoy sessions with Lucky Thompson, another fine collaboration of Lucky and Hank.

Maybe the Trio date on Savoy was reissued under Kenny Clarke's name because he was the leader of that trio on live dates and more or less the chief of Savoy's house rhythm section.

Daniel, you're right: that album listed on AMG is the one I'm talking about.

I know there were some interesting Ragtime recreations on the Golden Crest label, similar to those on Angel.

I found it! :g I did a search for all Golden Crest recordings in the CDROM version of Bruyninckx, and there it is (I used the older printed version the first time):

Hank Jones, Barry Galbraith, Arnold Fishkind and Don Lamond, recorded January 31, 1958, on Golden Crest CR 3042 or S 5002. Do you need a track listing? Was recorded between the quartet with Bobby Jaspar for Savoy and "The Talented Touch" for Capitol.

Edited by mikeweil

No one has mentioned "The Great Jazz Trio". Some great music there - most often with Ron Carter and Tony Williams. I have four of them which are ALL good:

"At The Village Vanguard"

"Milestones"

"Love For Sale" - a 45 RPM direct-to-disk set on East Wind with Buster Williams on bass

"New Wine in Old Bottles" with the addition of Jackie McLean

To my knowledge none of these have been released on CD. What's up with THAT?

They were all been released on CD in Japan last Fall by Universal Japan:

Love For Sale

New Wine in Old Bottles

At The Village Vanguard Vol.1

Milestones

Edited by alankin

I have very little of Hank under his own name, but adore what he does on Somethin' Else, especially Autumn Leaves.

Me, too, and have to definitely agree about Somethin' Else. His extended solo during the coda of "Autumn Leaves" is worth the price of admission alone.

The only Hank I've got is on the Stitt Mosaic. Definitely need to find some more!

Alan, thanks for the heads-up on the Japanese releases of those GJT disks. Interesting that they are all on back-order except for "Love For Sale" (which not surprisingly has 3 more tracks than the 12", 45 RPM version that I have.) I would have thought that this would be the most difficult to find.

Hank Jones, Barry Galbraith, Arnold Fishkind and Don Lamond, recorded January 31, 1958, on Golden Crest CR 3042 or S 5002. Do you need a track listing?

A track listing would be very useful, Mike! If there are a few favorites in there I might begin to hunt for it after all!

Anyone here who has heard the ragtime album for Paramount?

Listened to this this afternoon -- my impressions:

If you like ragtime, you will dig this. If you're not crazy about it, like me, it won't get on your nerves too much, but you won't revisit it very often.

Twelve songs, I'm assuming most (if not all) are ragtime standards. A trio, or perhaps quartet, with drums and bass, and maybe guitar -- couldn't really tell, and I didn't dig out the notes (wherever they are!) to check.

Hank plays what sounds like a saloon piano. Guess that's the sound they were going for.

All in all, I think a forgettable LP in Hank's storied career. It's OK, but those who do not enjoy ragtime can safely pass on it.

Daniel, I have the Golden Crest Hank Jones Swings Gigi album. Could not

resist buying it when I stumbled on this several years ago. Here is the

tracks list.

Side A:

- Gigi

- I'm Not Young Anymore

- Thank Heaven for Little Girls

- It's a Bore

- Say a Prayer for me Tonight

Side B:

- Gossip

- Waltz at Maxim's

- The Parisians

- I Remember It Well

- The Night they Invented Champagne

As much as I like Hank Jones, Barry Galbraith and Don Lamond (nothing against

Arnold Fishkin), it's mostly pretty inoffensive music. I would add this to

the (short) list of Hank Jones' forgettable albums.

The two Capitol albums with a similar crew are much more interesting.

Thanks Mike! I guess this album will not be a priority for me right now. But it's interesting that it was done in the early sixties. From what I've understood ragtime had a big (and fairly short) boost after Marvin Hamlish had adapted a lot of Scott Joplin tunes for his score for "The Sting" in 1973, but before that the interest in ragtime was marginal at best.

BTW, I lucked into the Hank Jones-John Lewis album "An Evening with Two Grand Pianos" in a 3€-bin yesterday (among other things).

Edited by Daniel A

My favorite Hank Jones albums have already been mentioned (Somethin'

Else and the Great Jazz Trio albums) but I also like the following ones:

- Urbanity on Verve (early 1947 and 1953 dates),

- Arigato on Progressive (with Richard Davis and Ronnie Bedford),

- The Trio on Chiaroscuro (with Milt Hinton and Bobby Rosengarden),

- 'For Sentimental Reasons' (a rare Open Sky LP with the great Al Hibbler),

- 'Flowers for Lady Day' an Atlas CD (with George Mraz and Roy Haynes,

Jim Anderson recorded that),

- and a superb Atlas 5CD box (The Great Standards with Mats Vinding and

Billy Hart, 50 standards by the Great Jazz Trio)

Alfa Jazz is Japanese. Found the Hank Jones box on sale in a Paris store.

Don't remember the price but it was damn cheap. And the music

is superb. I know all five CDs in the box were released as single units by

Alfa Jazz (in Japan).

Alfa Jazz is the label that originally released the Bill Evans at

Keystone Corner (the Consecration box). I've also seen trio dates

by Kenny Drew Sr. on that label.

I would like to thank all of you! :)

Brownie's response was actually written at the same time as was thanking Mike B, and then I missed it when I read his (brownie's) next post!

This thread has brought up so many interesting suggestions! With Hank's enormous discography it's valuable to have some reference points.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Let's revive this thread a bit!

Thanks to some recommendations in the Jones birthday thread I picked up two CDs (strangely, a title search for "Hank Jones" did not bring that up! Only with searching all posts option I could locate it, here it is):

The Talented Touch / Porgy & Bess (Okra-Tone 2004)

This couples two quartet albums, the first one with Barry Galbraith, Mint Hinton and Osie Johnson, the second with Kenny Burrell and Elvin Jones in for Galbraith and Johnson.

Glorious music! Highly recommended to all fans of piano jazz, and everybody attracted by style and taste.

The second one is the Concord 2CD set, "The Touch," reissuing "Lazy Afternoon" (a late Eighties recording with Dave Holland, Keith Copeland, and Ken Peplowski), and "Rockin' In Rhythm," an album from 1977, with Ray Brown and Jimmie Smith, and Jones playing the Fender rhodes piano on half of the tracks. Both are great albums, in my opinion!

Then this one might be the favourite among my relatively few Jones holdings, so far:

B0000046NL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An album dedicated to Thad Jones compositions, with George Mraz and Elvin. Great stuff!

ubu

• 9 years later...