Hank Jones

Daniel A

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hank Jones along with Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris and a half dozen others has long been one of my favorite jazz pianists.

Many of his wonderful recordings have been mentioned. Here are a few more under his leadership that I like, and that I believe were not referred to here. Beyond these are numerous sessions where Hank plays a sideman role.

Bluesette - Black & Blue

I Remember You - Black & Blue

For My Father - Justin Time

Hank and Frank (Wess) - Lineage

In Japan - All Art

• 8 months later...

Listening now to "Bluesette." Marveling at his playing style; such a sure touch. He's not trying to beat you over the head, but the ideas are so good they're almost compositional. Truly a master; this is not lightweight stuff at all, though it is very enjoyable and swinging. Great accompaniment by George Duvivier and Alan Dawson, and a great program of tunes.

41G5JFEJVJL.jpg

Listening now to "Bluesette." Marveling at his playing style; such a sure touch. He's not trying to beat you over the head, but the ideas are so good they're almost compositional. Truly a master; this is not lightweight stuff at all, though it is very enjoyable and swinging. Great accompaniment by George Duvivier and Alan Dawson, and a great program of tunes.

41G5JFEJVJL.jpg

simply a good piano trio recording :tup .....

41G5JFEJVJL.jpg

simply a good piano trio recording :tup .....

Agreed, love it.

Just to piggyback on Jim's comments from a long time ago about Hank's comping on Dexter's "Ca' Purange," for me the real star of that otherwise rather marginal side is Thad Jones, who plays some wild-ass solos and who wasn't on a ton of small group records in that era. Back in the day -- 1973, I think -- Down Beat ran a transcription (by David Baker) of Thad's solo on the slow blues "Oh! Karen, O" -- a study in controlled, expressive dissonance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_i3qcaRDg

• 8 years later...
On 11/30/2023 at 8:34 PM, Lazaro Vega said:

Hank Jones contributed "Vignette" (based on Sweet Sue, Just You) to The High and Mighty Hawk. There's also "Get Set." Dumb question: is that a contrafact, or a blues, or "just" an original....?

I'm not certain, but it sounds a bit like the changes to 'I Never Knew' by Gus Kahn. The melody is also somewhat reminiscent.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Lazaro Vega said:

it's "I Want To Be Happy" (per Jon-Erik Kellso)

I defer to his ears for sure. Was happy to hear him on NPR recently: https://www.npr.org/2023/11/22/1197958759/fresh-air-draft-11-22-2023

19 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He did a very nice solo LP in the 1970s or 80s that I used to spin quite a bit.  Can't recall the title...

Tiptoe Tap Dance?

On 12/12/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jack Pine said:

I defer to his ears for sure. Was happy to hear him on NPR recently: https://www.npr.org/2023/11/22/1197958759/fresh-air-draft-11-22-2023

Tiptoe Tap Dance?

Thanks for the link about The Ear Regulars on Fresh Air. That's what go me started on this as they quote "Sweet Sue" during their performance of "Vignette" on the new album "Live at the Ear Inn," on Arbors. Jon-Erik went to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp back in the 1970's. Just missed him coming to Blue Lake Public Radio with James Dapogny's Chicago Jazz Band (his replacement was good but I've yet to hear Kellso live. Someday!).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, Lazaro Vega said:

Thanks for the link about The Ear Regulars on Fresh Air. That's what go me started on this as they quote "Sweet Sue" during their performance of "Vignette" on the new album "Live at the Ear Inn," on Arbors. Jon-Erik went to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp back in the 1970's. Just missed him coming to Blue Lake Public Radio with James Dapogny's Chicago Jazz Band (his replacement was good but I've yet to hear Kellso live. Someday!).

Glad to share! Blue Laker from the 1990s myself, one of my best childhood memories for sure.