When did Shink wrapping LP start?

Hardbopjazz

Rackjobbers were a "class" of distributor that put racks of records in non-music stores. Generally they owned the inventory and billed the stores for records sold. Since these establishments didn't have clerks tending the inventory, the wrap protected the merchandise.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

To add: while the jackets themselves weren't shrinkwrapped until later, I know that at least some labels' LPs were "sealed" in those waxy or clear thin plastic liners. I don't know if this was standard or not, but I've found "mint" vinyl sealed this way in its original state.

When i started working in the retail record business in the late 50's we had two listening booths in our store in East Lansing. We had a system where we kept all of the lp's filed behind the counter and the covers were out in the bins. If you wanted to hear an lp you brought the cover up and we played the lp on turntables that were wired to the speakers in the booths. Once we got into the 60's those booths became a never ending source for grass roach's at the end of the day.

Not all labels used shrink wrap at first as i remember. The rackjobbers were only interested in the big hits, so many of the indie jazz labels like Blue Note did not shrink wrap their stuff until later in the 60's.

Once everyone started using wrap, we did away with the listening booths.