Now that S.W.A.T. Has finally made it to DVD

S.W.A.T. :blink: You remember (if you were alive in the 70's-and in America)

The Aaron Spelling show, with Robert Urich, Steven Forrest, and ...others?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?ite...temID=COL000346

COL000346.jpg

Kind of shocked there is enough demand for this show to be on DVD...but there it is...so...what else? Just off the top of my head, I wonder how many Playhouse 90 shows are still around? Or some of the other anthology type shows? We always get to see a clip from one when A&E does a Biography show on Paul Newman, etc.... I see some shows on very cheap tapes(Quality, and pricewise) I saw a 6-8 tape box set once that weighed nothing, with shows like The Betty Hutton Show, Annie Oakley, stuff that never, ever shows up on Nick at Night...ok...not a great example of a series that people might pay money for...like S.W.A.T.! Get Smart, perhaps? The Bob Newhart show? Newhart? Bob? (Hey, I would pay for Bob on DVD!)

So what am I forgetting that isn't out yet????

Oh, when I joked about S.W.A.T. being out, and told my Mom it was 22 bucks, she said that wasn't too bad, perhaps it would be interesting to see...I started to think so to, but snapped back to my senses..for awhile at least! :ph34r:

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

It could be because they are making a Film for Theaters based on S.W.A.T. Most people remember the theme song more than the show. lol The movie version will star one note Samuel Jackson and Colin Farrel. It is coming out in August.

Vibes

The SciFi Channel is remaking "Battlestar Galactica". Richard Hatch has been trying to get funding to continue the show from the point before the terrible Galactica 1980. But I believe someone connected to the Star Trek shows convinced SciFi to start all over again. I don't know if an actual TV will come of it but there will be a Mini-Series in December. They just started showing the ads and small snippets from it this week.

If you check the SciFi BBS for Galactica you will find most or very negative to this "retelling" as it is being called by the producers and SciFi.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Parker Lewis Can't Loose  It appeared on Fox for about three seasons, and, don't ask me why, but I really enjoyed the show.  Sometimes stupid is fun. B)

It was one of the two shows that came out at the same time based on Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I can't remember the other show's title at the moment but it failed during the first season.

Actually I enjoyed Parker Lewis Can't Loose first season. It got stupider as it went along and I stopped watching.

Just remembered the other show was "Ferris Bueller".

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Here is a fun site for anyone interested.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

It's a site that discusses the moment people's favorite shows started going downhill.

The title of the site comes from Happy Days when Fonzie Jumps The Shark when they went out to Hollywood.

Myself I thought it went downhill a lot earlier than that. When Fonzie moved in over the Cunninghams is one moment. Another is when Richie, Potsie and Ralph started to hang around with Fonzie. We won't even get into later when he becomes Assistant Principal of a High School. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I was a big fan of Happy Days. I even remember seeing the very first incarnation of it on Love American Style. It went over so well they made it into a TV show. Most people forget that Fonzie first wore a white wind breaker before the leather jacket.

I remember meeting Henry Winkler for the first time and I had been a big Fonzie fan when I was a kid and he turns out to be a midget. Really ruined watching the show in re-runs later on. lol Ok not exactly a midget I think he was around 5' 6" or 5' 7" but when someone is a foot shorter than you.....;)

An interesting factoid. While Joanie Loves Chachi was rightfully a major failure here in the U.S. it was huge in South Korea. It appears that in Korean Chachi means Penis. Joanie Loves Penis was a hit in South Korea. ;)

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Something else you will notice from Jumptheshark.com is that the last person you want anywhere near your favorite show is Ted McGinley. Of course the first show that went downhill that he was attached to was Happy Days. He is the patron saint of Jumptheshark. His latest work was in The Practice.

Guest Mnytime

There's one flaw in your theory about McGinley, Mny.  He made a much better neighbor to the Bundy's than the first guy.

Speaking of sci-fi "classics"-did anyone else see on CNN.com that "V" is coming back, I believe as a Mini-Series?

I don't happen to agree about McGinley being better than Steve. Also, it is not my theory it's the sites and those that particpate on the sites theory. The have a whole section devoted to him.

Also, there will be a new V mini-series but it will take off from the end of the first mini-series of V. So that the second mini-series and TV show never happened. So you can call it another "retelling" of the story along the lines of the upcoming Battlestar Galactica.

Though in the case of V that would be a good idea since the second mini series and the TV show where crap. I understand a few of the originals might be in the upcoming mini-series.

Edited by Mnytime

I'd like to see the complete St. Elsewhere, with all the original music, and the complete Freaks & Geeks (that one should only be a couple of discs). Speaking of recent good series that were strangled in the cradle, so to speak, having every episode of The Job on DVD would be nice. I'm missing one or two episodes due to videotape breakage.

I'd like to see the complete "Soap" on DVD. Anyone remember that one? Billy Crystal, Robert Guillaume, Katherine Helmond... One of the funniest shows of its time.

Also, while on the subject of DVDs, has anyone picked up "Once Upon A Time in America" yet? I'm on the fence on this one, but it is apparently the longer, international version, which is supposed to be more coherent. Looks like it might be good, but I wanted to get some confirmation of that first.

Guest Mnytime

I'd like to see the complete "Soap" on DVD. Anyone remember that one? Billy Crystal, Robert Guillaume, Katherine Helmond... One of the funniest shows of its time.

Also, while on the subject of DVDs, has anyone picked up "Once Upon A Time in America" yet? I'm on the fence on this one, but it is apparently the longer, international version, which is supposed to be more coherent. Looks like it might be good, but I wanted to get some confirmation of that first.

SOAP was a classic show. I would say that show jumped the Shark when Benson/Guillaume left the show. On the Jumptheshark site it's when Bert was kidnapped by aliens by one vote over Benson leaving.

Yes, if you are interested in Once Upon A Time in America you want the directors cut as it was known before. Now I see they are calling it the International version. ;)

The Complete SCTV (Second City Television) with John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, Joe Flaherty, and Andrea Martin.

STILL the funniest sketch comedy show ever. Well, okay, maybe Monty Python wins by a nose....

(btw, S.W.A.T. a "classic?!") :wacko:

Edited by The Mule

Guest Chaney

No offense to anyone who might have liked the show but C'MON! S.W.A.T. on DVD? What's next? Barnaby Jones?

As I don't have cable, I'd love a set of Fernwood 2Night / America 2Night. Good 'ol Barth Gimble, Jerry Hubbard and Happy Kyne presenting the very best talent that Fernwood had to offer (Fernwood 2Night) and stereotypical Left Coast nuttiness (America 2Night.)

Agreeing with The Mule, an SCTV set would also be a winner.

Guest Mnytime

No offense to anyone who might have liked the show but C'MON! S.W.A.T. on DVD? What's next? Barnaby Jones?

As I don't have cable, I'd love a set of Fernwood 2Night / America 2Night. Good 'ol Barth Gimble, Jerry Hubbard and Happy Kyne presenting the very best talent that Fernwood had to offer (Fernwood 2Night) and stereotypical Left Coast nuttiness (America 2Night.)

Agreeing with The Mule, an SCTV set would also be a winner.

You can be sure that the release of S.W.A.T. on DVD has everything to do with the upcoming film release. If they where putting out a film version of Barnaby Jones they would be doing the same thing for that TV show.

What better time from a marketing stand point than to release the DVD at the same time the film is released? They will be getting free advertising from the marketing of the film.

Guest Mnytime

Most people forget that Fonzie first wore a white wind breaker before the leather jacket.

Not me! Here is a picture of me dressed up for Halloween in 1975. B)

Oh, and the jacket is a beige barracuda. :D

I think you have more of a Spike look than Fonzie. Though you look about Henry Winkler's height. ;)

I would love to see the complete "Crime Story" on DVD (I don't think it is available, but please corrrect me if I am wrong). Anybody else remember this series set in 60's Chicago and Las Vegas starring Dennis Farina and a wonderful cast of characters, all as tough as nails. Great music throughout and one of my favorite TV memories is of Farina walking through the rain drenched streets of Chicago at night as the Trane/Duke version of 'In a Sentimental Mood' plays in more or less its entirety. Also, I'm pretty sure Miles Davis was featured playing live in a jazz club in one episode. it also featured such actors as Kevin Spacey and Julia Roberts very early in their careers.

The Complete SCTV (Second City Television) with John Candy, Catherine O'Hara, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas, Joe Flaherty, and Andrea Martin.

Throw in the syndication-only pre-NBC run (w/Harold Ramis in place of Morainis) and you got a deal I can't refuse. That was a TRULY great show, and the home of one of the most eerily accurate yet totally surreal pieces of musical parody I've ever come across - Moranis signing off the station as Mel Torme doing The Star Spangled Banner. Brilliant, as was the entire show.

I'm pretty sure Miles Davis was featured playing live in a jazz club in one episode. it also featured such actors as Kevin Spacey and Julia Roberts very early in their careers.

Remember Miles' guest spot on Miami Vice? I think he played a pimp. And then there was Miles' Honda(?) commercial (bike, not car)....

Spacey I first saw as Mel Profitt on Wiseguy, a show that for a cuppla seasons was one of the best things on.

How about Kolchack, with, I believe, Darren McGavin?

And does anyone recall the early 70s series called "Ghost Story", I think it lasted one season? I have strong memories of having the bejeezus scared out of me, so it would be interesting to see it again, see if it was more a function of age than the way the stories were told.