Cal Tjader's Fans

SonnyBoy

Hi All-

I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you who have kept my dad's spirit alive in your continued devotion to listening to his music. My dad was a pretty mild-mannered guy that would always give-way to others to succeed. His music is a testimony to his depth of musical capabilities that was usually downplayed while he was alive. He would be graciously amazed that some 23 years after his death which will be this May, 05-05-05-- that he is still remembered and enjoyed by loyal fans and friends. Please all , on May 5th, the cinco de Mayo and the anniversary of his death, play your favorite tune of his and really enjoy knwing that he really enjoyed playing--more than anything.

Sincerely,

Rob Tjader

aka..SonnyBoy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DizzySpells

Please all , on May 5th, the cinco de Mayo and the anniversary of his death, play your favorite tune of his and really enjoy knwing that he really enjoyed playing--more than anything.

Sincerely,

Rob Tjader

aka..SonnyBoy

Shall do! :tup:)

Please all , on May 5th, the cinco de Mayo and the anniversary of his death, play your favorite tune of his and really enjoy knwing that he really enjoyed playing--more than anything.

Sincerely,

Rob Tjader

aka..SonnyBoy

Shall do! :tup:)

Welcome Rob!

Welcome to the Board, Rob; know that you are surrounded by folks who are nuts for your dad’s music! There are plenty of threads around here discussing his music. In fact, if you look at the Blindfold Test threads, you’ll see that there were three or four consecutive BFTs with at least one song by your dad! (My BFT had him playing the piano! Fooled a few people, letmetellyou!)

Man, mikeweil’s gonna flip when he sees you posting here! He’s probably the biggest fan of your dad’s music on this Board, as evidenced by his avatar!

Funny you should start posting here, as I was listening to Los Ritmos Calientes, Black Orchid,, and Latino yesterday. I always loved it when your dad got together with Mongo and Willie. Oh the fireworks those guys generated!!!

Anyway, I hope you’ll stay awhile and post some more! Any memories of your dad would be greatly appreciated by everyone here, I’m sure. His music certainly gave the impression that he was as you describe him!

I used to start my mornig show off every morning with Cal's version of Mongo Santamaria's Mi Guaguanco. A good way to wake up!

May 5th it is.

We can also say about Cal's personality that it helped him create a platform where other talented folks could shine. His own contributions were often overshadowed, yes, but creating that platform--for people like Armando Pareza (sp?), Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Chombo Silva, etc, etc.--was a great contribution in itself.

--eric

Hi All-

I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you who have kept my dad's spirit alive in your continued devotion to listening to his music. My dad was a pretty mild-mannered guy that would always give-way to others to succeed. His music is a testimony to his depth of musical capabilities that was usually downplayed while he was alive. He would be graciously amazed that some 23 years after his death which will be this May, 05-05-05-- that he is still remembered and enjoyed by loyal fans and friends. Please all , on May 5th, the cinco de Mayo and the anniversary of his death, play your favorite tune of his and really enjoy knwing that he really enjoyed playing--more than anything.

Sincerely,

Rob Tjader

aka..SonnyBoy

Rob,

Welcome to the board, I hope you stick around. I have a boat load of your dad's music and he has lots of fans on this board! I'll get my playlist ready for 5/5!!!

Mark

Hi All-

Sincerely,

Rob Tjader

aka..SonnyBoy

I love your uncle just as much! Curry was a very talented marimbaist and drummer.

When I was a young lad, I remember my dad playing "Several Shades of Jade" frequently. I still love to listen to it.

249003.jpg

Always loved that cover too. :g

Hope you return to post some more, Rob. I'm sure the members here would love to ask questions and hear stories! (I know I would!)

Edited by Free For All

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome and the great responses to my post. I was laughing at some , as I would hope that none of you wait until May 5th--feel free to play all day -everyday.... I certainly do!

I would be happy to try to answer any questions (that's if I know the answer) but I too and happy to hear stories that many of YOU all have of experiences with dad.

I will apologize in advance, as my techno-knowledge seems limited navigating around this site, so I may not respond as quickly as I would like, hang in with me..I'll catch on.

To those that sent direct reply's....please look for reply's back to you---not sure if they are getting there, so please don't think I am intentionally ignoring you...neuro-limitation..

Again, I appreciate the warmth from all and knowing that I am not the only one who misses him--thank you

Rob Tjader

(My BFT had him playing the piano! Fooled a few people, letmetellyou!)

Man, mikeweil’s gonna flip when he sees you posting here! He’s probably the biggest fan of your dad’s music on this Board, as evidenced by his avatar!

Watch out Al - your BFT track had Cal Tjader play timbales while Eddie Cano played piano! My BFT had him on three tracks, one with piano, drums, and vibes each ... ;) B-)

Welcome to the board, Rob!

I spend some of my spare time on completing my collection of your father's music, which I love so much and play every week, and try to assemble a discography of his works. May I send the biographical part to you for proofreading?

May 5 will have me on stage playing some and acting in a Perceval adaption that will not allow me any references to his music, but I sure will play some of it through the day!

We can also say about Cal's personality that it helped him create a platform where other talented folks could shine. His own contributions were often overshadowed, yes, but creating that platform--for people like Armando Pareza (sp?), Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Chombo Silva, etc, etc.--was a great contribution in itself.

Good and true point, Eric! I'll add Rolando Lozano to that list!

Welcome, Rob -- and thanks for popping in here!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the great pleasure of seeing Cal and his quintet live on about

ten occassions from 1959 to 1972 around the five boroughs of New York

City. He appeared mainly at dances that were held at hotels,clubs,lounges,

churches, boxing arena etc.

His groups were consistantly well polished, professional, swinging and

immensly danceable. He usually came to NYC about once a year for

a weekend or so. I remember him always being very soft spoken

and a complete gentlemen.

I think I have most all of his original albums on vinyl starting with Fantasy

(clear red, mono and clear blue, stereo- so cool) and on through the Concord labels.

I've re-purchased half of these on CD, so that when I'm feeling down and out,

I give myself a shot of Tjader on my car stereo............. That helps get me through the day!

• 3 weeks later...

Rob--

I spent several months living in Berkeley in the spring of 1960, and went over to the Blackhawk several nights per week to hear Cal's group, which at that time was the house band at the Blackhawk. I have many happy memories of hearing Cal, Lonnie Hewitt on piano, probably Victor Venegas on bass, and Willie Bobo and Mongo Santamaria in that fabulous group. Their straightahead tunes (without Mongo) were great, especially the ballads, but when they did the latin numbers, everything went into high gear. After Cal's vibes solo, he would switch to cowbell or some other percussion, Willie Bobo would play timbales instead of drums, and with Mongo, they would get into such a deep latin groove that they would play over a piano vamp for what seemed like 15 or 20 minutes. It was hypnotic, in the best sense of the word. It was very, very hip trance music. None of his records have captured that, although some come close.

As popular as he is, I think Cal was a very underrated vibes soloist. Rest assured he will not be forgotten by us.

After Cal's vibes solo, he would switch to cowbell or some other percussion, Willie Bobo would play timbales instead of drums, and with Mongo, they would get into such a deep latin groove that they would play over a piano vamp for what seemed like 15 or 20 minutes. It was hypnotic, in the best sense of the word. It was very, very hip trance music. None of his records have captured that, although some come close.

:tup Yeah, that was the sh-t! Down in L.A. it was the same group except Al McKibbon was the bass player. When that group locked in, you were transported.