Some C.D recommendations...please

X-Bishop

:unsure: As you can tell, Im pretty new here and I loooove jazz. What are your favorite jazz artists and C.D's? thankx a bill.. :D

X-Bishop,

Don't be turned off by any potential replies you might get to your post....its just such a vast question to try and answer in a post. I'll give you an extremely short version.

My favorite jazz artists are Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Andrew Hill and Fred Anderson. I could rattle off 80 more quite easily.

:unsure: As you can tell, Im pretty new here and I loooove jazz. What are your favorite jazz artists and C.D's? thankx a bill.. :D

Seems you like the X-men, I prefer 'Beast' myself , anyway welcome to the board. Do you have any jazz yourself? What are the albums you like the most?

This list, like Jazz is a pretty 'broad church' and you will find a wide variation in tastes.

Personally I am a big fan of European jazz, but we may leave this for a few posts down the line ;)

Che.

The nice thing about jazz is that you can pretty much start with any album and it will take you in all sorts of other directions! With that in mind, I can unequivocally recommend Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. They don't call it a "masterpiece" for nothing!

My desert island picks are....

f54385ligot.jpg

John Coltrane - Ole

d61808x7492.jpg

Mal Waldron - The Quest

BlackChristoftheAndes.JPG

Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ of the Andes

e269134rhvi.jpge311171ded3.jpg

Jimmy Smith - The Sermon / House Party

SPOT535CD.jpg

Jacques Coursil - Way Ahead

f44691cf3zd.jpg

Vince Guaraldi & Bola Sete - From All Sides

I'm not saying that these are the very best that jazz has to offer. They're simply my favorites.

Happy hunting and welcome to the board!

-- Brandon

If you have jazz that you like, check out the individual players- is there a very good drummer, trumpet player, etc? If so, find recordings by that player as a leader, then do the same on those recordings. Over time, you'll discover a lot of great music.

I started with John McLaughlin, moved on to Miles when I saw that McLaughlin was on a recording of Miles, then discovered tons of great people as a result.

Take one Armstrong, Ellington, Monk and Basie and come back tomorrow. ^_^

Follow it with a Parker (Dial), Lester Young, Jackie McLean, Mingus, and Sonny Clark. You might want to also check out the albums:

"Go!"---Dexter Gordon

"Kind of Blue"---Miles Davis

"Way Out West"---Sonny Rollins

"Soul Station"---Hank Mobley

You won't be sorry. ;)

X-Bishop,

Don't be turned off by any potential replies you might get to your post....its just such a vast question to try and answer in a post. I'll give you an extremely short version.

My favorite jazz artists are Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Andrew Hill and Fred Anderson. I could rattle off 80 more quite easily.

understandable....and thank you

Seems you like the X-men, I prefer 'Beast' myself , anyway welcome to the board. Do you have any jazz yourself? What are the albums you like the most?

This list, like Jazz is a pretty 'broad church' and you will find a wide variation in tastes.

Personally I am a big fan of European jazz, but we may leave this for a few posts down the line ;)

Che.

o.k....cool....thankx