Sleep?

I live in Tucson and I'm a night person. I tend to stay up late every night (usually waaaaaay too late) playing on the computer and listening to jazz. Tucson is on Mountain time during the winter and Pacific time during the summer. Yeah, go figure that one out.

No matter what time I log-in to this board, SOMEBODY is posting/reading, whatever. Like JSngry wrote, in another post, this (Organissimo) is a great after-hours hangout.

When do you sleep? :eye:

Edited by wesbed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a gig last night, didn't get to sleep till after 3 a.m. central time. Now my clock's set to that since I woke up at 10 this morning. My sleep schedule is so messed up, my bedtime/wake-up time fluctuating 3 hours in a day is not uncommon. Mostly though, I stay up 'till @ 1 a.m. and get up @ 8 depending on the day's circumstances. :wacko: Working real late several nights in a row can really throw me off. Usually, however, I'm done by 11 p.m and home...in bed by 1.

Let's see 1.44am now.... :winky:

I worked the evening shift for years and loved it. Could go to clubs

right after finishing work. When I started my present job, the Paris Blue Note club

was right around the corner and I heard great live jazz there.

Now I am in the executive position and have to work way too early in

the morning. Which means that in the evening, I am done. No clubs

or concerts these days. Sleep comes easy nowadays in the old man in me.

I stay up waaaay too late. My wife constantly bugs me about it and she's right. I should get my ass to bed.

However, when I do have a gig and I have to drive home late at night for an hour or so, I'm not tired. Which is a good thing!

This week I've been getting up pretty early, though. And still staying up late.

But, I'm sleeping in tomorrow!!!! YAY! :g

B3-er and Jsngry know. If you play music late at night, you've got to keep somewhat late hours in general. Otherwise, like B3-er said, you'd be too tired at the gig or driving home from it. I've always been a bit paranoid about the late night drunks on the drive home. So being alert is pretty important in my book. But sometimes I do wish I had a 10pm to 6am sleep schedule like a normal person.

I miss the days of being able to stay up late listening to music and working on my computer. I used to do it every night. I also used work late into the night with my home recording studio.

Now I'm married with a baby. I don't get to do any of these things.

I just grab sleep wherever I can. When the baby isn't crying or throwing up :blink:

It's kind of a mix for me ... I usually get between four and five hours of sleep during the week (1 AM - 6 AM). Probably not much more on the weekends -- maybe 3 AM - 9 AM if I'm lucky.

I spend most of my waking hours after the wife goes to bed (10:30 or so) on the computer with jazz on the CD player. I try to spend as much time as I can with her while she's awake ... I figure I can always go "play in my room" :P after she's gone to bed.

I really should be getting more sleep, and my body is starting to tell me that. I just can't figure out when the hell I'm going to do everything if I go to bed at 10 or 11!!

I stay up waaaay too late. My wife constantly bugs me about it and she's right. I should get my ass to bed.

Bah, there's more NWN to be had.

When I work, I sleep usually 3 AM to 9:30 AM. When not working, I sleep 3 am to about noon.

I start work at 7 A.M. Unfortunately, I've been a nite owl all my life. I used to come home from school, sleep until dinner, then stay up until 3 in the morning. This was in junior high school. I have NEVER been able to sleep properly during the so called "normal sleeping time". So...I'm dyin' now. I'm sleepy all the time. I thought I'd be able to adapt to this, but I wish to hell I was back on swing or grave... :(

Anyway, I normally sleep from 11 or 12 until 5:30 in the morning.

I've got a normal office job (8:30-5), and thus can sleep normal hours too. I go to bed between 10-11pm and wake up between 5-6am. I used to wake up between 3-4:30pm, but then I went on a diet and have been able to sleep normally ever since starting. It's strange, and definitely not something I was expecting, but I'll take it. Keeping this normal schedule does have its downside, however - I am completely incapable of sleeping in. I don't remember the last time I woke up later than 7:30am, no matter what time I went to bed or what day of the week it was. Those of you able to sleep until noon, I envy you.

My hours don't affect my music listening, which is nice. My wife watches a ton of TV and I don't care for most of the programs she likes, so that's a nice excuse to go to my at-home office and turn the music up loud. I get to listen to music at work all day long, and then am usually able to get in a few hours of music + computer before I go to bed too. Not bad!

I usually get to sleep very late (3-5 a.m.) and try to get 8 hours of sleep after that. I reside in Michigan but I guess I live on Hawaiian time :blink:

That used to be my routine. I always felt fresh and rested. I really do think that not everyone's internal clock is the same, and that you're pretty much stuck with what you have.

I play when I want, I work if and when I want, and I have absolutely no responsibilities. In other words, I'm a bum. I have all kinds of time. So being armed with time, I also sleep when I want. Here's the simple format: When the sun rises in the sky, I fall into bed. :eye:

Edited by Savoy

I'm amazed, I checked this board the other day at 9.00am GMT. I couldn't believe all you guys across the states were still up and active. My internal clock tells me it's bedtime about 10.30. I even get fidgety at clubs and concerts after 11.00pm.

• 11 months later...

In reviving this old thread... and being a person who still stays up WAY to late listening to jazz and playing on my computer, which of you STILL stay up way too late?

I'm listening to the Duke Pearson Select tonight and hearing things I'd never have heard while the sun was shining.

Jazz is so much a part of the night for me. Nights without the music, such as when I'm away from home, seem odd and somewhat empty.

Edited by wesbed

Left on my own I'll gravitate towards staying up til 2-3 A.M. (like right now), but I can no longer sleep past about 8 A.M. at the very latest. My daytime schedule changes constantly and my wife is an early-to-bed-early-to-rise type.

When I've gotten into a early groove I've really enjoyed the morning- it's a good time to write music, for one thing. You're un-impeded by the day's BS, and the self-judgement darkness is at a minimum.

I generally turn my computer on around 7 AM and off at around 1 AM. Occasionally, I work until 3 AM, and I have been known to take an hour's nap in the afternoon. I, too, am amazed to see someone like Lon, who is on Texas time (they do have their own time, don't they B) ) post during my mornings.