George Garzone

littleleekonitz

Dude, that's a fucked up way to celebrate! :g

But seriously, I've always liked the guy, he's actually quite unique, imo.. So many of his "peers" have this rhythmic thing that sounds like there's a level of "blur" lacking. By blur I mean vibrations moving faster than we can "measure". If you let them happen, channel though you, it frees you up, allows you to swing (as opposed to "swing"). And if you resist the blur once you become aware of it, it blocks you. You have to invest some kind of energy into not letting it go through you.

It's one thing to not know it's there, but Ayler made records, ok, just like Bird did, just like Louis did, etcetcetc. This shit is not a secret, ok, we all have choices to make, and pleading ignorance is not a reality-based strategy if you want to swing. Or, for that matter if you don't not want to swing (legit choice as well, imo, that's still a freedom borne out of enlightenment, not ignorance). But if making excuses is still a choice (and I suppose it is), it strikes me as the choice of a coward.

Ayler totally got that, and it feels to me that Garzone did too, not in an imitative way (which would just be cheapass lip-syncing, really), but in a self-awareness kind of way. He realized that it was there, and he let it in., and let it go through (which is the only real choice after letting it in!). Never mind all his other predilections for traditional harmony and melody and tone and all that stuff, that's not what matters here. What matters here is that he got open to be free within himself, more fully free because he let the blur in.

Let me put it this way - my former partner-in-crine Pete Gallio had a few opportunities to hang and talk with him. Garzone gave Pete a tape of Ayler and told him Listen to this. This is where it's at. And Pete didn't understand that right away, what that really meant. He thought it was some quirky eccentrical thing, not a deeper wisdom about the object of the game. But he came to.

So yeah, George Garzone. We need more like him, but I doubt they're forthcoming.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Did you tear your rotator cuff?

doc said maybe but at age 78 it doesn't really matter -- by then there's nothing up there for a surgeon to work with.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Dude, that's a fucked up way to celebrate! :g

But seriously, I've always liked the guy, he's actually quite unique, imo.. So many of his "peers" have this rhythmic thing that sounds like there's a level of "blur" lacking. By blur I mean vibrations moving faster than we can "measure". If you let them happen, channel though you, it frees you up, allows you to swing (as opposed to "swing"). And if you resist the blur once you become aware of it, it blocks you. You have to invest some kind of energy into not letting it go through you.

It's one thing to not know it's there, but Ayler made records, ok, just like Bird did, just like Louis did, etcetcetc. This shit is not a secret, ok, we all have choices to make, and pleading ignorance is not a reality-based strategy if you want to swing. Or, for that matter if you don't not want to swing (legit choice as well, imo, that's still a freedom borne out of enlightenment, not ignorance). But if making excuses is still a choice (and I suppose it is), it strikes me as the choice of a coward.

Ayler totally got that, and it feels to me that Garzone did too, not in an imitative way (which would just be cheapass lip-syncing, really), but in a self-awareness kind of way. He realized that it was there, and he let it in., and let it go through (which is the only real choice after letting it in!). Never mind all his other predilections for traditional harmony and melody and tone and all that stuff, that's not what matters here. What matters here is that he got open to be free within himself, more fully free because he let the blur in.

Let me put it this way - my former partner-in-crine Pete Gallio had a few opportunities to hang and talk with him. Garzone gave Pete a tape of Ayler and told him Listen to this. This is where it's at. And Pete didn't understand that right away, what that really meant. He thought it was some quirky eccentrical thing, not a deeper wisdom about the object of the game. But he came to.

So yeah, George Garzone. We need more like him, but I doubt they're forthcoming.

will never forget the night I heard ayler rudd tchiai and milford graves in a loft above the v vanguard. Ayler's in person sound was unbelievable.

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Not Belden ... youmustbe is/was promoter/produver  Milos Simich, brother of the former poet laureate Charles Simic -- they spelled the last name diiferently.

Hope your shoulder is better. I don't know that I'd accept that nothing can be done because you're old.

18 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

doc said maybe but at age 78 it doesn't really matter -- by then there's nothing up there for a surgeon to work with.

I'm only 57 and my doctor told me nearly the same thing as you when I partially tore my rotator cuff. He said that at my age, unless I'm big into sports activities involving my shoulder, it shouldn't matter. He recommended that I just leave it alone and let it heal. He said a surgical repair would probably only improve it marginally and that I really didn't need that marginal improvement to live out the rest of my days. He added that going in to repair a tear might make the pain worse and that he would only recommend getting it repaired if I was in constant pain.

BTW - my shoulder has gotten much better so I think my doctor was right... at least this time. :)