George Garzone

littleleekonitz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never even heard of this guy much less listened to him until just yesterday. This past weekend I'm at a local library book sale where they had a separate desk of sealed CDs selling for only $3 apiece. Evidently they had been donated for charitable purposes. No jazz except for one CD that normally I would not have purchased except for the low price - an anthology titled AS LONG AS YOU'RE LIVING YOURS: The Music of Keith Jarrett (RCA Victor). It showcases a variety of players however there is one brief track titled "Innocence" that features Garzone supported by Massimo Biocati (b) & Bob Gullotti (d). As soon as it came on, I was all ears. He has a great sound and the track really cooked. I definitely would like to hear more of him. :tup

Garzone is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD muthafukka. And this is coming form somebody who is ambivalent at best about Lovano and the other players with whom he is (loosely) stylistically associated. George kicks all their asses afaic. Where they sound unfree, either intellectually or emotionally, he sounds like the music is just flowing through/out of him w/o hindrance. Couple that with a great imagination and total virtuosity, and you got a guy who's the real deal, no doubt about it.

I just caught George at a little local club in a trio with Lockwood and a young kid on drums. It was a blast. He played it a little more inside than he does with The Fringe.

At the show, I picked up a copy of "Live at Zeitgeist" which has The Fringe with Lovano guesting on a couple of tracks. Very heavy stuff.

The first time I ever heard George was at a Christmas concert. Hearing George blowing on "Jingle Bells", with Kenny Werner backing him was pretty cool. :)

Kevin

I had never even heard of this guy much less listened to him until just yesterday. This past weekend I'm at a local library book sale where they had a separate desk of sealed CDs selling for only $3 apiece. Evidently they had been donated for charitable purposes. No jazz except for one CD that normally I would not have purchased except for the low price - an anthology titled AS LONG AS YOU'RE LIVING YOURS: The Music of Keith Jarrett (RCA Victor). It showcases a variety of players however there is one brief track titled "Innocence" that features Garzone supported by Massimo Biocati (b) & Bob Gullotti (d). As soon as it came on, I was all ears. He has a great sound and the track really cooked. I definitely would like to hear more of him. :tup

Not true! You heard a cut from the aforementioned album on my blindfold test!

I had never even heard of this guy much less listened to him until just yesterday.  This past weekend I'm at a local library book sale where they had a separate desk of sealed CDs selling for only $3 apiece.  Evidently they had been donated for charitable purposes.  No jazz except for one CD that normally I would not have purchased except  for the low price - an anthology titled AS LONG AS YOU'RE LIVING YOURS: The Music of Keith Jarrett (RCA Victor).  It showcases a variety of players however there is one brief track titled "Innocence" that features Garzone supported by Massimo Biocati (b) & Bob Gullotti (d).  As soon as it came on, I was all ears.  He has a great sound and the track really cooked.  I definitely would like to hear more of him. :tup

Not true! You heard a cut from the aforementioned album on my blindfold test!

Jeez, did I? Not only don't I know sometimes whom I'm listening to, it seems I can't remember who it was after I've been told. :unsure:

Thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna go back to the answer sheet you provided for that BFT and see what you had to say about him. B-)

Could best be described as "free style organ trio".

All the compositions are by Palmer, sketchy heads giving a framework for rather open improvisations, but they never take it to Ayleresque screaming level, and listen to each other carefully, never outplay one another, always get back to the thematic material of each piece. Just tenor, organ and drums. At first listen I found it too subdued, but now I appreciate the care they apply to their interactions. Very nice and clear recorded sound as well.

Details:

- Opposite Voltage -: George Garzone (tenor & soprano saxophone) Jeff Palmer (organ) Richard Poole (drums)

PBS Studio, Westwood, Massachusetts, November 2, 1998

Backwards & Forwards

De Nyall

Metropolis

Five Fingers

Wind Tunnel

Count Sirloin

A Tear A Minute

All tracks on Music Artists Co. CD MAC 2001.

The label is that of drummer Richard Poole, who seems to be in the piano/keyboard sales business as well.

Jim, I remember you mentioned an aversion towards Palmer's "nutty heads", and there is not much going on arrangement-wise, but I don't know any other organist that much engaged in free form playing, which is one of the torches Khalid Yasin left but rarely is carried on by the other B3 practitioners.

I am listening as I write this and find the rather subdued approach very interesting - they do not jump at you. No greaziness here, of course.

Duh! - only just now I noticed there is some soprano played by Garzone too! Kind of picking up where Shorter stopped his free from excursions.

Edited by mikeweil

Garzone is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD muthafukka. And this is coming form somebody who is ambivalent at best about Lovano and the other players with whom he is (loosely) stylistically associated. George kicks all their asses afaic. Where they sound unfree, either intellectually or emotionally, he sounds like the music is just flowing through/out of him w/o hindrance. Couple that with a great imagination and total virtuosity, and you got a guy who's the real deal, no doubt about it.

Now that I relisten with this in mind, I find that Mr. Sangrey gives a very accurate description of the man's playing. :tup

My partner-in-crime Pete Gallio has any number of private recordings of Garzone from various gigs in various settings, and that's most of what I've heard. I've not really started exploring the "official" recordings for fear of finding them less engaging than these live things (as is often the case with many players). But, hey, why not? The organ side w/Palmer looks like it should be a good opening purchase.

If you are listening for some soprano work, check him out on Matthias Lupri SHADOW OF THE VIBE.

I think this may be the first recording featuring Garzone that I really noticed him on. I was very impressed and motivated to investigate him more. The Fringe Live In Israel disc is also very good.