PINK FLOYD FANS?

Jazz Kat

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of illegal boots... am I the only guy who's never bought one? Every one I've ever heard sounded like crap. I'd much rather spin the real stuff.

Kevin

Sometimes the "real stuff" doesn't exist for the music in question -- live Floyd from the early 70s, for example.

Guy

Guest akanalog

dear kevin, the only money i spend is for blank CDs. i am not buying anything illegal.

and guy...

1. Cymbaline

2. Atom Heart Mother

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

this is the disc i have. the saucerful of secrets starts off pretty out there.

Just a passing aside to this thread. I don't want to spoil the warmness.

I got to see Pink Floyd, cheesy light show and all, around 1970 at London's Queen Elizabeth Hall. a journalist friend who was reviewing the gig took me along - I wouldn't have gone otherwise. I was already a confirmed jazzer and I didn't think too much of it. The only thing that sticks in my mind was the distribution of cut daffodils at the end of the concert. It was around Easter so maybe that explains it.

Has anyone ever played "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching "The Wizrd of Oz"? That, to me, would be a real Pink Floyd fanatic. Of course, by my own definition, I would be excluded. :)

I've often wondered how stoned one would have to get before all the "coincidences" between the music and what Dorothy does became apparent? I imagine if I got stoned enough, I could play any album and it would match up weirdly with the flying monkeys. :D

BTW, does anyone know what song lines up with the flying monkeys?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

dear kevin, the only money i spend is for blank CDs.  i am not buying anything illegal.

Oh sorry, you're illegally downloading boots... that makes it all right then. I forgot that any music downloaded is automatically perfectly legal.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Floyd releases this material officially, I buy it. Until then, this is a victimless crime.

Unrelated, but (re: earlier comment) the Floyd bootleg I was listening to earlier has EXCELLENT sound. A terrific version of "Echoes", and two different performances of the unreleased "Embryo".

Guy

yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Psssssst. Guy, you're supposed to call them "private tapes." Then it's OK. :crazy:

akanalog passed along some goodies, here's a couple more though I'm not sure they're on Dime at the moment (been camping for a few days so I'm behind.)

------------------

Fillmore West

4-29-70

1. Grantchester Meadows >

2. Astronomy Domine

3. Cymbaline

4. Atom Heart Mother

5. Embryo

Disc 2

1. Green is the Colour

2. Careful With That Axe, Eugene

3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

4. A Saucerful of Secrets (1st Encore)

5. Interstellar Overdrive (2nd Encore)

Exceptionally good sounding board. A DVD is out there as well. I gave mine away as since there's no volcano to watch it's dreadfully dull viewing. The CDs (which I obviously held on to) without the visuals are terrific though. :)

This one is pretty darn good too:

Concertgebouw, Amsterdam

9-17-69

Part 1 - The Man

01. Introduction 1:00

02. Daybreak 8:11

03. Work 3:53

04. Tea Time 3:34

05. Afternoon 5:13

06. Doing It 4:03

07. Sleep 4:37

08. Nightmare 9:14

09. Daybreak (Part 2) 1:21

Total Time: 41:06

Part 2 - The Journey

01. The Beginning 4:55

02. Beset By The Creatures Of The Deep 6:26

03. The Narrow Way 5:12

04. The Pink Jungle 4:47

05. The Labyrinths Of Auximenes 6:38

06. Behold The Temple Of Light 5:31

07. The End Of The Beginning 6:54

Total Time: 40:23

Comment The most famous of The Man and The Journey performances.

There's a pre-FM of this that sounds great.

-----------------------

Apologies if one or both of these was mentioned and I missed it. I'm running on very little sleep after camping & hiking for a couple of days. All that fresh air has made me loopy.

Edited by Quincy

i am a 27 year old jewish guy with a little keyboard.  none of my friends give a damn about jazz or spacey krautrock.  i think the music i play sucks.  i guess i am doing it for the girls and for the money though it isn't like we have had any success.  it is also a good reason to get out of the apartment and get drunk a few times a week when i go to practice.  it is a social thing.

Ya know, you have the makings for a great rock song here... ;)

Well, this is why I love CD-burning software. I went & bought ANIMALS & WYWH, so’s to keep everything legit, and then copied the following to my hard drive:

Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts I-V

Wish You Were Here

Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI-IX

Pigs on the Wing (Part One)

Dogs

Sheep

Pigs on the Wing (Part Two)

I then broke up the longer songs into sections (or smaller songs) that start at a point I would normally fast-forward to in the song (i.e. it allows me to skip over parts I would normally skip anyway, like the five-minute interlude in “Dogs” where the word “stone” is repeated over and over).

So now, these songs are much more enjoyable!

dear kevin, the only money i spend is for blank CDs.  i am not buying anything illegal.

Oh sorry, you're illegally downloading boots... that makes it all right then. I forgot that any music downloaded is automatically perfectly legal.

In my opinion boots shouldn't be discussed on Org at all. They're in the same category as the CDRs Jim is talking about here.

Edited by J.A.W.

I dunno, we talk about unreleased live '67 Miles recordings, the Coltrane tree, rare Woody Shaw recordings, etc. etc.

I suppose those are more fair game to talk about as this is a jazz board (or is it a political board with a jazz section?)

Granted it was months ago that I read the thread about CD-R trading, but I thought sharing information about recordings was OK. If trades are being made I don't see any happening out in the open.

Rumors are strong that Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" will be coming out on SACD by early next year. This would be fantastic as it's my favorite session and one that could sound awesome in multi-channel. Like "Dark Side of the Moon", it too was released as a quadraphonic LP back in the 70's. However, unlike "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here" was recorded in quad! I imagine that if they use those original quad masters, we'll be in for a sonic treat! :)

Am I the only one who digs "The Wall"? Sometimes I think so. Maybe it's because it was released during my senior year of high school? Maybe it's because "Comfortably Numb" is such a phenomenal song? Whatever... you have to like a band that puts a secret message in a song called "Empty Spaces". :D

Later,

Kevin

Rumors are strong that Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" will be coming out on SACD by early next year. This would be fantastic as it's my favorite session and one that could sound awesome in multi-channel. Like "Dark Side of the Moon", it too was released as a quadraphonic LP back in the 70's. However, unlike "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here" was recorded in quad! I imagine that if they use those original quad masters, we'll be in for a sonic treat! :)

Am I the only one who digs "The Wall"? Sometimes I think so. Maybe it's because it was released during my senior year of high school? Maybe it's because "Comfortably Numb" is such a phenomenal song? Whatever... you have to like a band that puts a secret message in a song called "Empty Spaces". :D

Later,

Kevin

Would love to hear WYWH in SACD surround - the DSOTM SACD is great. They probably won't use the quad masters, though, but instead remix it. Don't know why, but they haven't done that for any other quad titles.

The Wall as a senior in high school? Kevin, we must be the same age. I remember getting it for X-mas (1979?) and playing it so often that i really got sick of it. I've never had as much appreciation for it since.

Meddle, however, might be my favorite PF album...

The Wall as a senior in high school?  Kevin, we must be the same age.  I remember getting it for X-mas (1979?) and playing it so often that i really got sick of it.  I've never had as much appreciation for it since.

I still have my vinyl copy. It's one of the very few LPs I kept during the "great purge" of the 80's. I played it the other day and I still think the CD version I have sounds much better.

I think the reason so many people got sick of this title is because FM radio stations played it non-stop. well, that and the fact that the songs' lyrics make you want to jump off a bridge! Oh yeah, and it accompanied a truly twisted and crappy movie. :D

Anybody ever visit this page? Someone went through the trouble to put up the secret message (forward and backward). I never realized it was "Chalfont". I thought it was "Chelmsford", but then again, I had to rely on spinning the LP in reverse. Hard to get good fidelity that way!

Later,

Kevin

In my opinion boots shouldn't be discussed on Org at all. They're in the same category as the CDRs Jim is talking about here.

Talking about owning boots or downloading is okay, but no public links to pirated music or open trading of bootlegs. If you want to trade boots with someone do it over PM.

Talking about owning boots or downloading is okay, but no public links to pirated music or open trading of bootlegs. If you want to trade boots with someone do it over PM.

So if I wanted to start a thread about in order to elicit opinions about the playing of Lennie Tristano on the CBS "Look Up and Live" broadcast of 1964, at heh, that would be OK, provided I didn't mind the usual grousing from those who don't agree the material is worth checking out?

Edited by Use3D

So if I wanted to start a thread about in order to elicit opinions about the playing of Lennie Tristano...

No, unless it was made to be freely distributed...and next time ask me in PM BEFORE posting the link to said material..sheesh. B3-er and I have yet to lay down some ground rules regarding all this. Until then I'm judgin' stuff at my discretion.

What I meant about 'talking' was in any discussion someone could say 'oh well I downloaded such and such and here's what I think' or 'my bootleg of such and such only has these tracks' and so forth. Just don't be specific and start naming locations or sites for downloading, methods or software, that kind of thing.

Can't listen to the Wall anymore (which is OK, because between the ages of 14 and 18 I heard it hundreds of times). Waters's whining voice just bugs the crap out of me, and even some of the better music just doesn't need to be heard anymore. Stuff I still like almost enough to listen to again: "Mother" (best tune on disc 1), "Goodbye Blue Sky", "Nobody Home", "Is There Anybody Out There", "Comfortably Numb" (though this one I can fast forward through mentally :) ). Side 2 (after GBBS) is pretty bad, and side 4 (after RLH) is awful. "The Trial" is just plain embarrassing. Even when I was 14, I knew it was terrible.

Guy

Funny how everyone has their own turn-ons/turn-offs for this stuff. :)

I agree that side 4 of "The Wall" rarely made it to my turntable back in its heyday. However, with the advent of CD, I found myself spinning disc 2 (for "Comfortably Numb") and actually liking it a lot more. It's really one continuous piece. I think the flow gets interrupted by the LP. When I hear it on CD, it just fits together better. Side 4, including "The Trial", is the finale.

Of course, the best is where the whole thing ends with someone saying "Isn't this where..." with the obvious tie-in to the first words of the record, which were "... we came in". :D

Now, my fellow Floyd fans, could all of you do me a favor? I once owned the first US edition of Floyd's "Wish You Were Here". Even though it was the first CD version sold here, the CD itself was made and printed in Japan.

I really, really want to get this again so I can compare it to the other versions. I am still kicking myself for giving this away... to who, only my dead brain cells know. Probably too much wine.

This version is unique in that when you put it into a CD player, the display only shows 2 tracks instead of 5. They basically break the LP into sides with index marks (like any player today has an index function!) for the tracks. The disc will have numbers on the inner ring that will say 35DP-4 in them. This is version I am looking for.

A description from a post on another forum describes it this way:

"The Japanese CBS/Sony plant pressing with catalog number CK 33453 (again, divided into two tracks) is found with either "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in the clear plastic ring or "MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC." stamped on it. The matrix code is in a neat font and has the original Japanese CBS/Sony catalog number "35DP-4" in it. The back insert does not have "Now Made In The U.S.A." above the barcode."

If anyone visits their local used CD shop and finds this, I'll make it worth your while.

Later,

Kevin

I have really been digging WISH YOU WERE HERE lately. I was in a Half-Price Books the other day and found a book on Pink Floyd, skimming through the pictures and stuff, and read about WYWH. All the members commented on what a “sad” album this is, and though I’d never really thought of it as such, it is definitely their most melancholy album.

So I was at Fry’s last night (in the continuing quest for the right power-supply/motherboard combination; these folks know me on a first-name basis now) and right by the computer stuff, they had a computer playing highlights from Live 8. It just happened that the Floyd portion of the show was playing, so I watched it a while. When they played “Wish You Were Here,” it struck me as sadly/bitterly ironic that here are Gilmour and Waters harmonizing on a song originally intended for a former band member (Syd), but could just as easily be about the two of them. Especially when they came to these lines:

We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Running over the same old ground; what have we found? The same old fears.

Wish you were here.

I don’t know about y’all, but it sure seemed like Waters voice was cracking through a lot of that.

Melancholy, indeed.