Martial Solal

Daniel A

I am STILL hoping to find a copy of his album with Marius Constant, "Stress," but no such luck yet.

Is a used LP from Europe okay? If so, have you checked on whether it's still available from this seller . . .

http://www.discogs.c...0?ev=bp_rel_det

. . . or the other sellers here?

Edited by bluenoter

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, what the hell is that album he did with Michel Magne? How have I missed this? Is it amazing? Is it in print?

You mean this one? "Martial Solal Plays Michel Magne."

R-1927566-1253005841.jpeg

The back cover calls it Electrodes (plural), which I'd guess is correct. [Edit, much later: changed the URL (link address), hoping that this one will stay alive.]

Three tracks from it on YouTube:

Electrodes

Air Liquide

Poignée De Ciel Edited by bluenoter

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Solal/Liebman is nice, if somwhat understated. 

But this here looks mighty good:

----

Martial Solal

SOLO PIANO: UNRELEASED 1966 LOS ANGELES SESSION · VOLUME 1

Fresh Sound Records

Solo Piano: Unreleased 1966 Los angeles Session · Volume 1

In June 1966, invited by the shrewd American producer and author Ross Russell, Martial Solal traveled to Los Angeles to record these forgotten and unreleased solo piano sessions. Russell, who had launched the legendary label Dial Records back in 1946 to record Charlie Parker, had spent several years away from the jazz scene after shutting Dial down in 1949. When he decided to return to the jazz record business, he organized a series of recordings at Glendale’s Whitney Studio, which had a wonderful Steinway. Unfortunately, Russell’s new project didn’t come to fruition, and so Solal’s recordings never saw the light.

Now we can finally hear them in two CD volumes. They show Martial Solal at his best, his incontestable talent, dazzling virtuosity and invention, but also his good taste and sense of humor in the execution. The originality of his conception, paired with his elegant control and technique, put him on a par with the great American pianists.

Tracklisting:
01. Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie) 4:02
02. Scrapple from the Apple (Charlie Parker) 5:54
03. I Can't Get Started (Duke-Gershwin) 3:44
04. Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) 8:53
05. Ornithology (Charlie Parker) 5:43
06. Yardbird Suite (Charlie Parker) 4:31
07. Embraceable You (G. & I. Gershwin) 4:17
08. Now's the Time (Charlie Parker) 4:36
09. Lover Man (Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 6:10
10. Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 4:38
11. Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker) 5:01
12. 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) 5:28
13. Un Poco Loco (Bud Powell) 3:20

Martial Solal, Solo Piano
Recorded at Whitney Studios, Glendale, California, June 18, 19 (#10 & 13) & 21 (#3,9 & 12), 1966

Original recordings produced by Ross Russell
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol

Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered

I'm sorta surprised that no one has mentioned Martial Solal's MPS recordings.  In this listener's opinion, they're among his very best.

According to the incredibly subjective HutchFan Five-Star Scale, I would rate each of Solal's MPS LPs as follows:

R-2820293-1302513170.jpeg.jpg

Martial Solal & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Movability (1976) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_NothingButPiano_1.jpg

Martial Solal - Nothing But Piano (1976) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_SuiteforTrio.jpg

Martial Solal / Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen / Daniel Humair - Suite for Trio (1978) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_SoloSolal.jpg

Martial Solal - The Solosolal (1979) -- 4 STARS

MartailSolal_FourKeys.jpg

Martial Solal / Lee Konitz / John Scofield / Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Four Keys (1979) -- 4.5 STARS

MartialSolal_DuowithLeeKonitz_Berlin.jpg

Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Live At The Berlin Jazz Days 1980 (1982) -- 5 STARS

I always thought these would make a great Mosaic set.  Oh well. I guess that ship has sailed.

On the updside, since Edel's acquisition of the MPS catalog, many of these vital recordings have been made available again.  On the downside, they're largely only available as downloads.

Regardless of how you listen, I would strongly recommend all of these records.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm sorta surprised that no one has mentioned Martial Solal's MPS recordings.  In this listener's opinion, they're among his very best.

According to the incredibly subjective HutchFan Five-Star Scale, I would rate each of Solal's MPS LPs as follows:

R-2820293-1302513170.jpeg.jpg

Martial Solal & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Movability (1976) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_NothingButPiano_1.jpg

Martial Solal - Nothing But Piano (1976) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_SuiteforTrio.jpg

Martial Solal / Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen / Daniel Humair - Suite for Trio (1978) -- 5 STARS

MartialSolal_DuowithLeeKonitz_Berlin.jpg

Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Live At The Berlin Jazz Days 1980 (1982) -- 5 STARS

A lot of stars .... and rightly so ....

On 24/11/2017 at 4:45 AM, king ubu said:

The Solal/Liebman is nice, if somwhat understated. 

But this here looks mighty good:

----

Martial Solal

Fresh Sound Records

In June 1966, invited by the shrewd American producer and author Ross Russell, Martial Solal traveled to Los Angeles to record these forgotten and unreleased solo piano sessions. Russell, who had launched the legendary label Dial Records back in 1946 to record Charlie Parker, had spent several years away from the jazz scene after shutting Dial down in 1949. When he decided to return to the jazz record business, he organized a series of recordings at Glendale’s Whitney Studio, which had a wonderful Steinway. Unfortunately, Russell’s new project didn’t come to fruition, and so Solal’s recordings never saw the light.

Now we can finally hear them in two CD volumes. They show Martial Solal at his best, his incontestable talent, dazzling virtuosity and invention, but also his good taste and sense of humor in the execution. The originality of his conception, paired with his elegant control and technique, put him on a par with the great American pianists.

Tracklisting:
01. Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie) 4:02
02. Scrapple from the Apple (Charlie Parker) 5:54
03. I Can't Get Started (Duke-Gershwin) 3:44
04. Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) 8:53
05. Ornithology (Charlie Parker) 5:43
06. Yardbird Suite (Charlie Parker) 4:31
07. Embraceable You (G. & I. Gershwin) 4:17
08. Now's the Time (Charlie Parker) 4:36
09. Lover Man (Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 6:10
10. Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 4:38
11. Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker) 5:01
12. 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) 5:28
13. Un Poco Loco (Bud Powell) 3:20

Recorded at Whitney Studios, Glendale, California, June 18, 19 (#10 & 13) & 21 (#3,9 & 12), 1966

Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered

Nice!!! will be getting these - how did Jordi get access to these tapes ie is this a legit release (like the Hollywood Nocturne box?)

Wonder who else he recorded at the Whitney & has any of it seen release?

Edited by romualdo

22 hours ago, romualdo said:

Nice!!! will be getting these - how did Jordi get access to these tapes ie is this a legit release (like the Hollywood Nocturne box?)

Wonder who else he recorded at the Whitney & has any of it seen release?

Not sure I care in this case ... hardly any of Solal's records made/owned by the majors have been in circulation ... where's all the brilliant stuff from the sixties and early seventies (three RCA albums are notable exceptions of course: At Newport, En Solo, Sans tambour ni trompette)?

All those with access to MPS (until revently for two decades Universal) ignored Solal (see the brilliant bunch of albums above ... "Suite for Trio" and the one with Hans Koller and Attila Zoller were on CD, other than that they reissued bland silly fusion by Germans but none of those great Solal albums!)

Probably none of those were involved in the productions in question, but with the current state of record business, Fresh Sound has advanced to be one of the best, no matter some shady aspects.

• 7 months later...
On 23/11/2017 at 7:45 PM, king ubu said:

(...)

Martial Solal

Fresh Sound Records

(...)

Volume 2 is finally out:

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/martial-solal-albums/6692-solo-piano-unreleased-1966-los-angeles-session-volume-2.html

8626234E-1E84-47CF-BB16-CA92211FA686.jpeg

Tracklisting:
01. Pennies from Heaven (Johnson-Burke) 3:34 
02. Blues Martial (Martial Solal) 2:43 
03. Fig Leaf Rag (Scott Joplin) 3:52 
04. Exactly Like You (McHugh-Fields) 3:42
05. Ain’t Miss Behavin’ (Fats Waller) 4:10 
06. Begin the Beguine (Cole Porter) 4:12 
07. Ah Non! (Martial Solal) 4:00
08. But Not for Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:15
09. Suite #105 (Martial Solal) 7:19 
10. Kansas City Stomp (Jelly Roll Morton) 3:05 
11. La Chaloupée (Jacques Offenbach) 3:20 
12. Everything Happens to Me (Adair-Dennis) 5:03 
13. Un Poco Loco (Bud Powell) 4:24

Recorded at Whitney Studios, Glendale, CA, June 19 (#2-6, 10 & 13), 21 (#1,7-9, 11 & 12), 1966

I've just ordered the LA sessions volume 1, and expect I'll like it as I have all of his work.  I recorded him once for broadcast, and actually visited him at his home outside Paris.

Many years later (2003) emceed a solo piano Toronto concert performance where he played a VERY short first set, perhaps 25 minutes in length of standards:  "Here's That Rainy Day", "Prelude To A Kiss", "I Wish You Love"....  He came offstage and said  "Let's take a brief intermission, maybe 10 minutes.  I know that there are people who don't like the way I interpret these things, so let's give them a chance to leave without making a fuss."  Most people were still in their seats when I went back out, and I repeated what Solal said.  He came back out to strong applause, played another full hour (more standards, and jazz standards:  "Round Midnight", "April In Paris", "Sophisticated Lady/"In A Sentimental Mood", etc. and at the end got a standing ovation.

I've always found him to be one of the great musicians, as a player (whether as a sideman -- Bechet to Reinhardt to Byas to Koller & Zoller, Konitz to Liebman to Thielemans); or leader of a big band or as a soloist.  He's composed for small groups, big bands, film, stage, TV, concert orchestras.  He is deeply musical, and Gallicly whimsical in his playing -- I've laughed out loud at his audacity.

Martial Solal is an amazing musician, and I'm happy I've met and recorded him, and even more happy that I've heard him.  He's over 90 now:  what a life.  What music!

1 hour ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I've just ordered the LA sessions volume 1, and expect I'll like it as I have all of his work.  I recorded him once for broadcast, and actually visited him at his home outside Paris.

Many years later (2003) emceed a solo piano Toronto concert performance where he played a VERY short first set, perhaps 25 minutes in length of standards:  "Here's That Rainy Day", "Prelude To A Kiss", "I Wish You Love"....  He came offstage and said  "Let's take a brief intermission, maybe 10 minutes.  I know that there are people who don't like the way I interpret these things, so let's give them a chance to leave without making a fuss."  Most people were still in their seats when I went back out, and I repeated what Solal said.  He came back out to strong applause, played another full hour (more standards, and jazz standards:  "Round Midnight", "April In Paris", "Sophisticated Lady/"In A Sentimental Mood", etc. and at the end got a standing ovation.

Great story.... thnx for sharing ....

• 2 years later...