Martial Solal

Daniel A

When did Solal and Griffin first record together? I saw footage from German Television, recorded in 1965, a Workshop with Wes Montgomery. Solal and Griffin were also present. At one point Solal takes on On Green Dolphin Street in trio setting. A pretty amazing performance actually and Griffin goes insane over it. You can see him shuffling in the background to get a good view of Solal, who is workin his keyboard like a cook baking a caserole. Later you can see Griffin moving over to directly behind Solal and once the performance is over he starts crying out "ridiculous! Ridiculous!" Which he mutters on for some time until they start a 5tet version of Blue Monk. Griffin has a little twinkle in his eye now. It looks as if he wasn't familiar with Solal that much when this footage was shot.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NDR Studio 10, Hamburg, West Germany, April 30, 1965

Wes Montgomery, g

Martial Solal, p

Michel Gaudry, b

Ronnie Stephenson, dr

Hans Koller, as

Johnny Griffin, ts

Ronnie Scott, ts

Ronnie Ross, bs

1. Blue Grass

2. On Green Dolphin Street

3. Blue Monk

4. Last Of The Wine

5. West Coast Blues

NDR Studio 10, Hamburg, West Germany, April 30, 1965

Wes Montgomery, g

Martial Solal, p

Michel Gaudry, b

Ronnie Stephenson, dr

Hans Koller, as

Johnny Griffin, ts

Ronnie Scott, ts

Ronnie Ross, bs

1. Blue Grass

2. On Green Dolphin Street

3. Blue Monk

4. Last Of The Wine

5. West Coast Blues

Issued on Wes Montgomery Live in Europe (Philology (It) W97-2

Clunky (et. al.): Solal also appears on both the 1955 Henri Crolla JiP discs, "Begin the Beguine" and "Quand refleuriront les lilas blancs". I just got these while re-stocking (actually completing, safe for three and the new Django) my JiP holdings, and they're very nice! Each holds one 10 inch LP with clarinet (Meunier? going from memory) added on half of the cuts, plus one has two, one has one, EP (12 or 14 tunes, all togehter), with just the quartet of Crolla, Solal, and some French bassist and drummer (would have to look up the names). Solal is on all cuts of both discs, though often he just plays an accompanying role. And as these recordings are all from 1955, they have certainly to be counted among early Solal, along with the Vogue sides - but I love those so much, so this is good enough for me! Further, to diverge a bit from the topic here, Crolla is a charming musician in his own right. It seems he and Django had sort of a mutual admiration society thing going on. On all the EPs, as I hear it, Crolla plays acoustic guitar (amplified in some way, I believe - that same general sound that Django has on his famous recordings), while on the two 10 inchers he's on electric guitar (again, unless my ears betray me - I need to listen to these two discs a lot more soon).

• 2 months later...

Recently received the NY-1 Village Vanguard BN disc and wanted to give it a plug, it's really top notch Solal, very good recording sound wise too. Very cheap through amazon.uk market place ( £4.70 total inc postage to UK)

On it's way to me is a Solal 4 LP set called Live 59- 85 or something, Brownie mentioned this I think but otherwise I've no idea what'll be on these LPs

I just got "Sans tambour ni trompette" (French RCA Gold Series) - very good one!

Can someone tell me: is Jenny Clark doing the fiddling and Rovère providing the bottom, or are they both doing both at different times? (I didn't read the liners yet, but had a glance at them and couldn't see this mentioned.)

I just got "Sans tambour ni trompette" (French RCA Gold Series) - very good one!

Can someone tell me: is Jenny Clark doing the fiddling and Rovère providing the bottom, or are they both doing both at different times? (I didn't read the liners yet, but had a glance at them and couldn't see this mentioned.)

I've assumed it was Jenny Clark because it sounds so like the bass work on one of Don Cherry's BN discs ( forget which) in which JC stars.

I've assumed it was Jenny Clark because it sounds so like the bass work on one of Don Cherry's BN discs ( forget which) in which JC stars.

SYMPHONY FOR IMPROVISERS.

Solal's 'Sans Tambour ni Trompette' is just what the title implies: 'no drum, no trumpet'! Jenny Clark is the more adventurous player, Rovere is the more traditional one. Great trio date!

As for that Solal box, I'm pretty sure Clunky will not regret getting this. The 4 LP box consists of unissued live dates, mostly Solal playing solo, dues and trios, kicking off with a superb quartet rendition of Solal's Suite en Re (with Roger Guerin on trumpet) that is even better than the studio version.

• 9 months later...

I was unaware that anything of Solal's 1960s output for French Columbia had been reissued on CD. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find a 2 CD set last week which picks a few nice tracks from a couple of his studio Columbia albums - 'Bonsoir' (1960), 'En Liberté' (1965), 'Trio' (1965), 'Son 66' (1965) and 'En Direct du Blue Note' (1966) and releases the two exciting live LPs 'Jazz à Gaveau' and 'Concert à Gaveau' (recorded in 1962) in full!

Martial Solal 'Jazz à Gaveau et autres pièces' (1959-1966)

EMI Music France 8 56490 2

The set was apparently put out in 1997, but - I would think - OOP by now. It's a bit sad, because I can't recommend this strongly enough as an excellent introduction to Solal's albums on French Columbia. The live Gaveau LPs are very hard to find and usually very expensive, so grab this set if you see it!

Disc 1

Lover Man

Suite no 1

BOF "A bout De Souffle"

Clark's Blues

Le Beau Danube Bleu

8 Avril

Jazz Frit

Four Brothers

Grain De Valse

Liberté Sous Potion

18+1

Petit Poupée

Blues Masochiste

Disc 2

Jordu

Nos Smokings

Spécial Club

Dermaplastic

Aigue-Marine

Averty, C'est Moi

Gavotte à Gaveau

Lucien, Valsons

Sous Le Ciel de Paris

Galerie C

Vice Et Versa

Billie's Bounce

I was unaware that anything of Solal's 1960s output for French Columbia had been reissued on CD. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find a 2 CD set last week which picks a few nice tracks from a couple of his studio Columbia albums

I'm sure I mentioned this excellent double CD somewhere but obviously not on this thread.

It is indeed OOP now!

So are the two CDs of other 1959-1964 Columbia material that came out in 1990 and 1992 in the EMI 'Jazz Time'series.

First one was entitled 'Martial Solal - Jazz Et Cinéma, Vol. 1 - 1959-1964'.

Second was entitled 'Martial Solal - Vol. 2 (1960-1962 Solos-Trios-Big Band)'

Wonder what prevents EMI from keeping the material available? Maybe they're waiting for Solal to disappear! That might take a long, long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, I listened to the first CD in the Martial Solal Complete Vogue series. In the notes it says that this series will include all of his Vogue recordings, with the exception being the recordings he made under the pseudonym Jo Jaguar.

Does anyone know anything about these recordings?

Listened to this Jazz at Lincoln Center broadcast recently, really cool!

Jazz at Lincoln Center Radio with Ed Bradley Featured Program

Pillars Of Paris: Martial Solal And Herve Sellin

Pianist Martial Solal’s music is a staple of Paris’ artistic life. But, his jazz hero is American composer Thelonious Monk. His affinity for Monk becomes clear with his treatment of "Well You Needn’t." He also debuts his Jazz at Lincoln Center commission "Pour Lincoln" with saxophone veterans Phil Woods and the late Steve Lacy, along with his brilliant rhythm section, the Moutin bothers. Pianist Herve Sellin leads his tentet.

http://www.jalc.org/radio/program.asp?programNumber=162

Last night, I listened to the first CD in the Martial Solal Complete Vogue series. In the notes it says that this series will include all of his Vogue recordings, with the exception being the recordings he made under the pseudonym Jo Jaguar.

Please read the first post of this thread. Daniel A wrote about his Vogue recordings.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...opic=17964&st=0

Please read the first post of this thread. Daniel A wrote about his Vogue recordings.

The Jo Jaguar total output consists of one 12-inch album plus one EP. Never heard those. They have never been reissued. Somebody who heard them told me not to bother.

There are easy listening pîano sessions.

Guess Solal would be mightily embarassed if they were reissued now.

Maybe you should re-read my post because I read the first post and it didn't discuss the Jo Jaguar recordings.