Martial Solal

Daniel A

Last night, I listened to the first CD in the Martial Solal Complete Vogue series. In the notes it says that this series will include all of his Vogue recordings, with the exception being the recordings he made under the pseudonym Jo Jaguar.

Does anyone know anything about these recordings?

Please read the first post of this thread. Daniel A wrote about his Vogue recordings.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...opic=17964&st=0

The Jo Jaguar total output consists of one 12-inch album plus one EP. Never heard those. They have never been reissued. Somebody who heard them told me not to bother.

There are easy listening pîano sessions.

Guess Solal would be mightily embarassed if they were reissued now.

Thanks Brownie.

I thought something must be different about the material for the music to not be included on the Complete Vogue series.

I am sure enjoying the first CD in the series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How good is his Newport '63 cd?

Martial Solal - Newport '63

01. Poinciana (The Song of the Tree) (4:34)

02. Clouds (Nuages) (3:05)

03. Suite pour une frise (11:55)

04. Stella by Starlight (4:21)

05. What Is This Thing Called Love (4:37)

06. 'Round Midnight (3:50)

07. Boplicity (3:53)

08. All God's Chillun Got Rhythm (3:12)

09. Fine and Dandy (1:51)

10. I Got Rhythm (take 1) (2:47)

11. I Got Rhythm (take 2) (2:47)

12. I Got Rhythm (take 3) (2:41)

How good is his Newport '63 cd?

It's good! Sound quality is not splendid (a bit muddy, dubbed-in applause; it was in reality a studio date), but his playing is thoroughly enjoyable. I like his albums on French Columbia a little better, mostly because they are nicely paced, sound well-rehearsed without losing a feel of spontanity and are in much better sound. But they are mostly only available as expensive hard-to-find second hand LPs.

Solal is a great artist and has made very few bad recordings. It all comes down to if you like his style or not. I think of the 1960s as a somewhat transitional period for Solal, half-way between swing/bop influences and the more abstract style of years to come. Personally I've approached Solal chronologically; it's good to have his Vogue recordings (and others from the 50s) in the back of the head when plunging into his 60s work.

"his jazz hero is American composer Thelonious Monk."

yes and no I would say, unless he has changed his mind in the last 40 or so years - in an old interview with Martin Williams and Dick Katz, Solal is a bit stand-offish about Monk's playing, though he admires his composing, and only acknowledges how creative a pianist Monk is at Katz's prompting ("even while he is soloing he is composing" Solal says) - but one can tell from Solal's tone in the interview that he is not really certain that Monk is a "good' pianist -

• 2 months later...

Currently reading the first book devoted to Martial Solal.

'Martial Solal, Compositeur de l'Instant' (Editions Michel de Maule).

2876231700.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56793202_.jpg

It's a pretty thorough and very absorbing interview by jazz critic Xavier Prevost where many aspects of Solal's life and music are dealt with.

The book comes with a DVD that contains the various interviews included in the book. All 8 hours 54 minutes of it.

All in French!

Edited by brownie

I heard about it in December 2005 when Prevost did his 3 hour Solal special on France Musiques (or was that in January 2006 and the solo concert they broadcast took place in December?) - sounded intriguing then and even more so now! Guess I'll try and fight my way through a French book again, for a change!

Mais oui, I remember posting about that broadcast but I got tied up with other things that evening :angry: You wouldn't want to know!

About reading the Solal in french, it's really up to you!

Wouldn't want to be too negative.

From the little I know of your french, I would say a good reading of any Tintin adventures would be more adequate... :g:g but there is plenty to gain from a reading of Solal's thoughts! He expresses himself very clearly! Learned plenty from it!

Bonne lecture :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Picked up JUST FRIENDS--a 1997 trio cd w/Gary Peacock and Paul Motian--off a board member the other day & listened to it for the first time tonight. Wonderful! Knew right away I'd be spinning this one again a couple more times before putting it on the shelf. Makes me want to check out that Motian/Johnson trio record as well. Great thread; thanks to Daniel for starting it.

Last week I ordered this one:

B00000IJCA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Solal with bassist Marc Johnson and drummer Paul Motian.

Seeing this thread made me pull out this one again

what a great recording

Solal's sui generis angularity and unique harmonic conception

are in full "swing"

with stellar support from Johnson & Motian

a classic

The Martial Solal score for Godard is a classic that has been kept being reissued!

Am not familiar with 'Stress'. It was created in 1977 at the Chateauvallon jazz festival. Solal and Constantplayed this at several occasions for the next ten years.

Marius Constant knows his jazz. He taught for a long time at the Paris Conservatory and invited Martial Solal to talk about jazz to his students.

A very interesting - strictly non-jazz - film score is the one Solal composed for the 1961 film 'Léon Morin, Prètre' by Jean-Pierre Melville. The film which is set in occupied France during WWII stars Jean-Paul Belmondo as a young priest in a small city. Don't think Solal's music to that excellent film has been issued!

Am not familiar with 'Stress'. It was created in 1977 at the Chateauvallon jazz festival. Solal and Constantplayed this at several occasions for the next ten years.

Marius Constant knows his jazz. He taught for a long time at the Paris Conservatory and invited Martial Solal to talk about jazz to his students.

Do you have any idea if "Stress" is currently available on anything?

Mr. brownie, which of solal's earlier, reissued albums would you recommend? How about his recordings with Lee K.?

Of Solal's reissued albums, I am a fan of the four volume series The Complete Vogue Recordings which is currently available.

Two recommended Konitz-Solal, first one on Steeplechase, second on Hatology

68490.jpge60989kqchk.jpg

Mr. brownie, which of solal's earlier, reissued albums would you recommend? How about his recordings with Lee K.?

Of Solal's reissued albums, I am a fan of the four volume series The Complete Vogue Recordings which is currently available.

Two recommended Konitz-Solal, first one on Steeplechase, second on Hatology

68490.jpge60989kqchk.jpg

I have some various short bits from Jazz Ă  Juan with Konitz, Solal and a host of others... could you please type out the exact info for me, so I can make sure I don't spread any live stuff that's on this disc? I guess I should try and get hold of the disc myself, but not right now, spent too much again, already...

The hatOLOGY release of Konitz/Solal comes easily recommended, it's a very fine one - it is sold out, however, so I urge you to act fast!

518b.gif