"Something New, Something Blue"

garthsj

Just to alert those of you interested. This great album, originally on Columbia, is about to be reissued by Fresh Sounds, in what they claim is a remastered 24bit edition. I certainly hope so ...

This album is HIGHLY recommended ..... I assume that DG (THE BASTARDS!) will soon have it in stock.

FSRCD 381 MANNY ALBAM - BILL RUSSO- TEO MACERO- TEDDY CHARLES - Something New, Something Blue

Featuring: Art Farmer, Donald Byrd (tp); Frank Rehak, Bob Brookmeyer (tb); Phil Woods, Hal McKusick (as); Al Cohn, Frank Socolow (ts); Bill Evans, Eddie Costa, Mal Waldron (p); Teddy Charles (vb); Addison Farmer, George Duvivier (b); Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Outstanding sound. Digital remastering in 24 bit high resolution.

Recorded in New York in 1959, "Something New, Something Blue" was designed

as a vehicle for four arrangers, Teddy Charles, Teo Macero, Bill Russo, and

Manny Albam, who each contributed an original composition and a new version

of a blues standard for a medium-size ensemble which included Donald Byrd,

Bob Brookmeyer, Mal Waldron, Ed Shaughnessy, Bill Evans, Mal Waldron, Art

Farmer and others.

Tracklisting:

1. Night Crawlers - Manny Albam 4:09

2. Tin Roof Blues - Manny Albam 6:48

3. Blues for Amy - Teo Macero 4:44

4. St. Louis Blues - Teo Macero 4:30

5. Swinging Goatsherd Blues - Teddy Charles 4:16

6. Blues in the Night - Teddy Charles 4:42

7. East Hampton Blues - Bill Russo 5:47

8. Davenport Blues - Bill Russo 3:41

Tracks #1-4: Recorded in NYC, May 15, 1959.

Art Farmer (tp), Frank Rehak (tb), Phil Woods (as), Al Cohn (ts), Bill Evans, Eddie Costa (p), Addison Farmer (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Tracks #5-8: Recorded in NYC, May 15, 1959.

Donald Byrd (tp), Bob Brookmeyer (tb), Hal McKusick (as), Frank Socolow (ts), Mal Waldron (p); Teddy Charles (vb), George Duvivier (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Edited by garthsj

Great to see this out. Especially as the Fresh Sound lp sounded so horrible. Hopefully they have made a better job of it this time.

Featured in Modern Jazz - The Essential Records. A slim 1975 publication and still one of the best critical books I know.

Is this a legit release? I have a CD-R of the vinyl and I would love to get this on CD... in stereo no less. It's a very nice blowing date of mostly blues. The LP I had was pretty beat up so it's a bit crackly. I just hate supporting Fresh Sounds if it's a rip-off job. It's not like 1959 is in the public domain in the EU. Unless the CD says, "Under license from CBS/Sony" or "Under license from Sony Special Music Products", I will likely avoid it.

I once posted a question to Bob Brookmeyer on the Jazz Corner board where he used to hang out. He never answered. I am guessing that there must be some more material from these sessions. They couldn't have assembled all these guys in the studio and only got two tunes out of 'em!

Later,

Kevin

Edit: Thanks Garth! I want to buy this if it's legit.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I don't think there is any additional material. It was specifically intended to have each writer do just two pieces. Four tunes per session was standard. There are no gaps in the master numbers. The Russo and Charles were done on April 30, 1959 and the Albam and Macero on May 15, 1959.

The Macero pieces are included on his own album, issued on Stash as "The Best Of Teo Macero" and now available through cdbaby.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Great to see this out.  Especially as the Fresh Sound lp sounded so horrible.  Hopefully they have made a better job of it this time.

Featured in Modern Jazz - The Essential Records. A slim 1975 publication and still one of the best critical books I know.

Second your recommendation John about 'Modern Jazz - The Essential Records', the silver book from 1975. I bought it when it first came out (broke me at the time :D ) and have used it extensively ever since. A superb publication from Msrs Morgan, Harrison, James and Co - some of the very best British jazz critics.

Thanks for the advisory about the Fresh Sounds LP. I nearly bought one the other week, glad I didn't.

Edited by sidewinder

Is this a legit release? I have a CD-R of the vinyl and I would love to get this on CD... in stereo no less. It's a very nice blowing date of mostly blues. The LP I had was pretty beat up so it's a bit crackly. I just hate supporting Fresh Sounds if it's a rip-off job. It's not like 1959 is in the public domain in the EU. If this CD says, "Under license from CBS/Sony" or "Under license from Sony Special Music Products", I will likely avoid it.

I

Kevin ... I believe that Jordi Pujols has gone "legit" in recent years ... I very much doubt that he would want to take on the Sony Corp. by blatantly stealing this album. Also ... who did the remastering, if that is the truth? He has licensed many albums in the recent past, so let's hope this falls into that category.

Also, I wasn't clear about your comment ... you would NOT buy it if the album contained license agreements?

Garth, the eternal optimist!

I don't think there is any additional material. It was specifically intended to have each writer do just two pieces. Four tunes per session was standard. There are no gaps in the master numbers. The Russo and Charles were done on April 30, 1959 and the Albam and Macero on May 15, 1959.

The Macero pieces are included on his own album, issued on Stash as "The Best Of Teo Macero" and now available through cdbaby.

Mike

Aw crap, Mike! I was so hoping there was more material around from these sessions. I really like this stuff. I was even hoping it was like the Buck Clayton jam sessions that Columbia did... you know, maybe an unedited Phil Woods solo somewhere on the tapes? :)

I'll still be on the lookout for it.

BTW, if this isn't legit, shouldn't we expect it will be mastered from the tape(s) that produced the Fresh Sounds LP? If the Fresh Sounds LP sounds bad, chances are that release will sound just as bad.

Kevin

looking at it now, it's: "The Essential Jazz Records Vol. 2 Modernism to Post-Modernism." Published 2000 - he mentioned 1975 above,so I thought he was talking about the other volume -

The 1975 paperback was a forerunner of the much larger 2000 edition. It's difficult to argue with any of the authors choices in spite of or because of the more limited time range.

This is what we are talking about ... as I look at the well thumbed pages of my copy and see the red check marks next to the album titles, I can proudly claim that I once owned 181 of the 200 LP albums listed. (Most of the things I did not have were in the "avant-garde" section ... Taylor, Ayler, Sonny Murray, etc.). I need to go through it and see how many of these I now have on CD ...

Edited by garthsj