Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 - 6-CD box set (Columbia/Legacy) Sept 6

— with Gary Bartz, Keith Jarrett, John McLaughlin, Michael Henderson, Jack DeJohnette and Airto Moreira

— recorded over three nights; includes over five hours of previously-unreleased material

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 - 6-CD box set (Columbia/Legacy) Sept 6

— with Gary Bartz, Keith Jarrett, John McLaughlin, Michael Henderson, Jack DeJohnette and Airto Moreira

— recorded over three nights; includes over five hours of previously-unreleased material

As I've heard before on this board... Do I need this???

Got 3 of the Miles boxes....

Not familiar with this period... Is this the post Bitches-Brew period????

I didn't buy that set since I already have the original CD issue....

How does this compare to that???

Anybody got any more info???

thanks

This is the post Bitches Brew material. . . . The two lp/cd "Live/Evil" contains part of these recordings (and some studio material that has appeared in the box sets released). This material has long been a favorite of mine. The nights at the Cellar Door were really good ones band-wise and I'm really looking forward to the set. Jarrett plays here in a way that he didn't otherwise in the official releases and Bartz plays very well, Miles really seems to be enjoying himself and the bass and drums of Henderson and DeJohnette rarely appeared tighter to my ears. The one night that McGlaughlin is on the band stand is a special one, everyone is excited at working him into the pieces.

The Coltrane 1965 Half Note recordings are listed for that same month also.

What is the story with the Coltrane Half Note recordings? Are they on any of the previous Impulse releases or new?

Edited by BFS

As I've heard before on this board... Do I need this???

Got 3 of the Miles boxes....

Not familiar with this period... Is this the post Bitches-Brew period????

I didn't buy that set since I already have the original CD issue....

How does this compare to that???

Anybody got any more info???

thanks

This is fun stuff. Jarrett alone is much better than Jarrett + Corea (Corea was too much of a hog of the soundspace, Jarrett is an excellent comper behind Miles), McLaughlin is a gas (think of him at the height of his Mahavishnu Orchestra dexterity), and the sound quality is excellent.

This must be at least the fourth release date that Columbia has announed for the complete Cellar Door material in the last 5 years. Didn't they even produce reviewer copies a few years ago before they again decided against commercial release?

So is there any reason to think that they are serious this time?

Edited by John L

They are doing an intense, careful market analysis of the optimal release date. They have hired the top statisticians and economists in the world for this herculean effort (I had to decline their offer to lead the team due to a prior commitment).

You have to understand why they have to move cautiously - an ill-timed release date could upset the global market for years.

Bertrand.

This is fun stuff. Jarrett alone is much better than Jarrett + Corea (Corea was too much of a hog of the soundspace, Jarrett is an excellent comper behind Miles)

I agree that either guy alone is better than both, but Chick's work with Miles up until Jarrett joined the group is superb.

Guy

I agree that either guy alone is better than both, but Chick's work with Miles up until Jarrett joined the group is superb.

I thought there was way too much Corea on "Black Beauty." And the guy really doesn't have a lot of taste - he's not a believer in "less is more."

I thought there was way too much Corea on "Black Beauty." And the guy really doesn't have a lot of taste - he's not a believer in "less is more."

Try to get a hand on the live '69 stuff (which I will be tree-ing soon here). Chick's work on those dates is unimpeachable. I can understand why the electronics on Black Beauty would be off-putting to some, and at certain points goes over the top. The March date from the Fillmore East (Wayne's last gig) isn't as excessive either. But Chick is still doing some incredible stuff on Black Beauty -- his solo on "Masqualero" is awesome.

Guy

I'm solidly with Guy on this one, yeah, either is better alone together, but i'll take them together too.

Chick did some totally great stuff when he was the only keys man, and so did Keith, and they're very different totally great stuffs! (In my opinion).

They are doing an intense, careful market analysis of the optimal release date. They have hired the top statisticians and economists in the world for this herculean effort (I had to decline their offer to lead the team due to a prior commitment).

You have to understand why they have to move cautiously - an ill-timed release date could upset the global market for years.

Bertrand.

Careless talk costs lives...

Columbia is doing a "50th Anniversary of Miles's Signing" PR campaign, so I imagine they have incentive to get the set out this year. (Wouldn't be surprised if the date slips a bit, though.) I'm looking forward to finally hearing this set.

Edited by alankin