Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

It's a great set that holds up well.

Keith Jarrett had always whined about Live-Evil not being as good as the McLauglin-less version of the band. I never believed him, as I never liked the 1971 post-DeJohnette version, but I actually enjoy the four discs without McLaughlin far more than the final two with him.

Not sure I agree. Jarrett's whining is quite understandable -- he had to adjust to McLaughlin's presence more than any other musician in the band. The end result isn't better or worse, just different. Disc 5 sounds a lot like the other discs with guitar added on; by disc 6 the band is more adventurous and starts adopting a more guitar-oriented style.

Some noteworthy parts w/McLaughlin in the band -- the last few minutes of "Directions" on disc 5 (excerpted as "Sivad" on Live/Evil), the magnificent "Honky Tonk" on disc 5 (some of Miles's best playing on this set), the great "What I Say" on disc 5, Bartz's solo over McLaughlin and Henderson's start-stop rhythms on the disc 6 "Inamorata".

Guy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 12 years later...