Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't even go there Man... I'm still pissed about having to return my Dexter Manhattan Symphonie - since I didn't know about that bullshit copy system...

:(:(:(:(:(

I wonder why this was taken off the Sony Store site? It was listed there a few days ago, now it's gone. I hope they didn't change the release date.

They need to allow extra time to copy-protect those suckers ...

I never had the Live-Evil as I've known about this box set for years now and have been waiting to get the full concerts.

I have been listening to it the last few days and it is just phenomenal stuff. Its amazing how lean this band was compared to Miles 72-75, which is the electric stuff I am most familiar with. This stuff has definitely been worth the wait.

Hopefully yourmusic.com will get the box in for cheap.

Even if they do get it, it won't be that much cheaper than CD Universe ($35.95 @ yourmusic.com, versus $38.49 at cduniverse).

Plus it will be a little while before yourmusic gets it, if it follows the normal BMG/yourmusic "new release" schedule. I'm willing to spend the extra $2.55 to preorder it and get it on the release date, instead of waiting an extra few months.

Edited by Aggie87

Even if they do get it, it won't be that much cheaper than CD Universe ($35.95 @ yourmusic.com, versus $38.49 at cduniverse).

Plus it will be a little while before yourmusic gets it, if it follows the normal BMG/yourmusic "new release" schedule.  I'm willing to spend the extra $2.55 to preorder it and get it on the release date, instead of waiting an extra few months.

Ah ah ah! You have to include the $5.99 shipping at CD Universe vs. $0.00 at yourmusic.com.

I'm with you though. I have it and the Monk/Coltrane pre-ordered and I'm doing my best not to wish the next few weeks of my life away! :P

My word, one thing I've been waiting for for years. The other I never had the nerve to imagine existed! Both coming out on the same day. :party:

Man, this better not be copy-protected...

Oh, you know it will be! :angry:

I am waiting on this--so I'll lose out on the nice pre-order discount--because if it is copy-controlled I do not think I can get it. I rip MP3s for my portable and do 99 percent of my listening to actual CDs at work--where I cannot load programs onto my computer, meaning I can't load the little dedicated CD player for the copy-controlled disc, which means I couldn't play the #$@$ing thing. Gaaaaaaahhh

Is there any way to find out beforehand for sure, one way or the other?

Man, this better not be copy-protected...

Oh, you know it will be! :angry:

I am waiting on this--so I'll lose out on the nice pre-order discount--because if it is copy-controlled I do not think I can get it. I rip MP3s for my portable and do 99 percent of my listening to actual CDs at work--where I cannot load programs onto my computer, meaning I can't load the little dedicated CD player for the copy-controlled disc, which means I couldn't play the #$@$ing thing. Gaaaaaaahhh

Is there any way to find out beforehand for sure, one way or the other?

Didn't someone mention that the timing of the CDs is a factor? In other words, if the CD is greater than (maybe) 70 minutes, it cannot be copy protected due to limitations in the software? This is apparently why the Shaw LP is not copy protected.

Edited by Eric

Hey, that's a good point. But it's not sure if the CDs are longer than 60 minutes, because Sony put entire sets on the CDs

We also don't know if the european Sony pressings will be copyprotected. They haven't been in the past.

Edited by Claude

I think CD Universe simply has the wrong list price entered, and their sale price is probably just a formula from that. I wonder how long til they figure it out. Based on everything we know about Columbia & Miles Davis, does that really seem like a real list price for a 6 CD box set?

Nothing to be concerned about, Amazon.com is just more expensive for CDs.

Check out the current prices for the Miles 7 Steps box:

Amazon - $129.98

CD Universe - $101.75

Better yet (for those of you who don't have it): yourmusic.com (shipping included) - $41.93

CD Universe pre-order prices are hard to beat. Unless you're a patient sort and can wait for yourmusic.com.

Alternative theory:

Amazon list price for Cellar Door box: $109.98

Sony site list price for Seven Steps box: $109.98

Maybe Amazon just copied over the list price from the previous box.

Another alternative theory:

Sony listed it at a low price erroneously; CDU used that price and hasn't received a correction yet.

I can't find the Cellar Door box on the Sony Music site at this time.

Although I still can't believe the list will be less that $10/disc.

But it is also not likely to be more than $12 per disc, given that it is a "monotonous" box set, with several concerts of the same band playing the same material.

The similar Blackhawk 4CD set goes for $11.25/disc (list price).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009KU7L/

So I think the Amazon price for the Cellar Door box ($18.33/CD) is just an error.

Edited by Claude