Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, CD Universe treated me right. I had the Monk/Coltrane in the same order with the Cellar Door set (at the low price). I decided not to cancel the Monk/Coltrane, but they went ahead and shipped the it last night anyway. Still, annoying that the Cellar Door has been delayed. Hopefully it will be coming out at end of Oct.

How can there still be a remaining legal problem at the announced release date of the box set? :crazy: This set has been in the pipeline for at least 4 years.

Either the Miles estate was very slow before coming up with their problem or Sony tried to put pressure on them in preparing a release while negociations went on.

Edited by Claude

Well, CD Universe treated me right.  I had the Monk/Coltrane in the same order with the Cellar Door set (at the low price).  I decided not to cancel the Monk/Coltrane, but they went ahead and shipped the it last night anyway.  Still, annoying that the Cellar Door has been delayed.  Hopefully it will be coming out at end of Oct.

What did they do re: shipping charges??

Well, CD Universe treated me right.  I had the Monk/Coltrane in the same order with the Cellar Door set (at the low price).  I decided not to cancel the Monk/Coltrane, but they went ahead and shipped the it last night anyway.  Still, annoying that the Cellar Door has been delayed.  Hopefully it will be coming out at end of Oct.

Yep, my Trane/Monk and Big Star shipped, but the Cellar Door is still there at good ole $39.19 ...

The attorney for the Miles estate, one Peter Shukat (sp?), seems to spend his days sitting in his office thinking up ridiculous objections to anything anyone ever comes up with regarding Miles. What his clients have to gain by restricting the presence of an item on the market by which they would profit, I cannot begin to guess.

I believe Sue Mingus is another of his clients.

Bertrand.

Just got back from buying the Monk/Coltrane live cd at Integrity 'N Music and chatted with Ed (or Integrity Ed as he's also known). He wasn't sure about the info, but it's got to do with one of Miles's sons & and a guy by the name of Adam Holdsman (not sure if I have the whole last name right). He also wasn't sure in what capacity this guy was involved with the Cellar Door set, but it's because of his involvment that this set is being held up was my understanding. Anyone know who this guy is?

Adam Holzman. Played in Miles' later bands. Fine player with an interesting fusion-centric perspective on jazz that only somebody of his generation could have (Miles' fusion was his bebop, musically and spiritually). Served as co-producer of the set along w/Bob Belden.

He's also Jac Holzman(the founder of Elektra records)'s son.

Adam Holzman. Played in Miles' later bands. Fine player with an interesting fusion-centric perspective on jazz that only somebody of his generation could have (Miles' fusion was his bebop, musically and spiritually). Served as co-producer of the set along w/Bob Belden.

He's also Jac Holzman(the founder of Elektra records)'s son.

Sounds like a fly in the ointment. :cool:

There's a huge article in this month's Jazztimes.  Postponing it really makes them look stupid.

Bertrand.

...particularly given the unbelievable number of times that it was postponed in the past. This has to be some sort of record. It was still the 1990s when they first announced it as an upcoming release, then it was slated for 2000 and so on, and so on. I seem to recollect that some preliminary reviewer copies were even sent out a few years ago? No?

From the info I heard, it was because of Holtzman's involvment that one of Miles's sons is holding it up. I could be wrong but that's how I understood it.

Wow, I wonder what kind of legal standing the son might have at this late date? Seems like Sony could just tell him to buzz off, but obviously not.