Ronnie Cuber

mikeb

Well, well, looks like I will be the first to venture into the uncharted waters of this forum ... :D

What say ye of Ronnie Cuber's output over the years? Specifically the Xanadu sessions? Not that much in quantity (two, I think), but the quality seems pretty high to my ears.

I think Ronnie has been unjustly overlooked, from his work with the George Benson group to his recent stuff with Bobby Broom. I don't think he's quite as good as Pepper Adams or Nick Brignola, but he's pretty damn close, IMHO.

I remember him in Maynard's band in the early '60s and from the Lonnie Smith BN dates. Georeg Benson, Smith and Cuber made a number of sides in those days, and the Delmark record by Bobby Broom is a recreation of sorts. He also was part of a bari date on BeeHive with Brignola and Cecil Payne.

The Three Baritone Saxophone might not have had Cuber intially but I am pretty sure that Cuber took a spot when they toured right after the CD came out. He has some nice recordings out on Steeplechase that are well worth picking up.

I finally got to hear those Xanadus in the past year. OK but not as good as the Steeplechase dates. Will Xanadu's catalog ever make CD? Better yet, will Bee Hive's?

Later,

Kevin

The first lp i can remember hearing Ronnie on was The Newport Youth Band back in the late 50's. I think he was only 15 or 16 years old. I think there were a couple other kids in that band that stayed in the business, but i dont remember who.Anybody out there have that lp, i would love to have a copy of that again.

On the Bee Hive Burn Bergade lp the front line was Nick,Cecil and Ronnie.

Ronnie was a total screaming BITCH of a player w/Maynard & the Smith/Benson band. I've got a Swingtime Video of him playing w/Lionel Hampton's Big Band in the mid-60s, and this muthaphukker is ROCK-ING, let me tell you! Looks to be about 8 feet tall, weighing about 75 pounds, fingers the length of windshield wipers, and just playing the groovinest shit you'll want to hear.

He was working a lot of Latin gigs in the 70s, right? He's on some Eddie Palmieri sides on Coco ca.74 or so.

I think he kinda mellowed out after some years in the studios and such, but his early stuff is the real deal!