Buddy Guy

scottb

I just saw Buddy Guy get inducted to the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame.

I think it's well deserved recognition for one of the pioneers of electric blues guitar and rock guitar.

I was glad to see he has finally lost the Jerry Curl!! He looks more like a old bluesman now that he's bald.

I'm glad to see Buddy getting a little acclaim, he certainly deserves it.

I'll never forget, back in 1982, when I happened to notice a bill on a lampost near the UT campus, Buddy Guy One Night Only Antone's. Fortunately for me, I went, and heard the wildest, most intense guitar sounds I'd ever heard. He was unbelievable that night. A few months later, he returned with Junior Wells, and I was able to see three nights of the Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Blues Band--it was amazing.

He's one of my favorite musicians.

Judging from the live CDs recorded at his club last year in January, he still doesn't sound his age.

I wish I had a photo of the look on Kim Wilson's face, one of the times in Austin when he was playing with Buddy, on one of the best nights I heard him--stunned, awestruck and humbled at once.

Probably my best experiences were his two appearances at the Caravan of Dreams, especially the first time with that superb three guitar band he had with Steve Ditzell and George Blaze (?).

Wow. Now he looks his age.

guy.gif

Wow! :huh: Man, he has aged a bit. Guess he had to sometime.

Anyway, for a glimpse of the BADDEST Buddy you'll ever actually SEE...check out the new music DVD Music Express. It's a pretty cool documentary about a Canadian music festival that travelled by train in 1970. Buddy's on the damn thing and KILLLLLS with his great version of 'Money'. He even takes his 200 foot cord and walks into the stadium audience which is no small feat. His singing and guitar playing are SUPERB. Plus, he's so damn skinny with a short fro and killer muddy water's style moustache. This maybe the best documented blues performance ever imho. Killer Chicago backup band that includes AC Reed and Phil Guy with a wah (don't let that scare you purists it's very background).

Check out Buddy's 2001 release Sweet Tea. There is some extremely aggressive metallic playing on this one. All of it very soulful and bluesy. Young metalheads and blues-rockers would do well to study this album. The tones he gets are incredible!

The album opens with a solo acoustic blues called "Done Got Old". The song finds Buddy talking about not being able to do the things that he used to do. Well, that's just a setup (at least from a musical stand point). Buddy is very much alive and kicking. Damn Right, he still got the blues....

Check out Buddy's 2001 release Sweet Tea. There is some extremely aggressive metallic playing on this one. All of it very soulful and bluesy. Young metalheads and blues-rockers would do well to study this album. The tones he gets are incredible!

The album opens with a solo acoustic blues called "Done Got Old". The song finds Buddy talking about not being able to do the things that he used to do. Well, that's just a setup (at least from a musical stand point). Buddy is very much alive and kicking. Damn Right, he still got the blues....

Too bad his live shows have degenerated into crowd-pleasing cliches. Been like that for a long time now.

Yeah, last time I saw him it was a bit frustrating. Although he played well, the showmanship was a bit distracting at times. That said, I will put up with quite a bit of "showmanship" when it's Buddy. A national treasure....

No doubt. But will someone tell him...hey, you don't NEED to do that anymore. Maybe in the 80's. But I think these days people are little more hip.

• 4 years later...

Yeah, last time I saw him it was a bit frustrating. Although he played well, the showmanship was a bit distracting at times. That said, I will put up with quite a bit of "showmanship" when it's Buddy. A national treasure....

No doubt. But will someone tell him...hey, you don't NEED to do that anymore. Maybe in the 80's. But I think these days people are little more hip.

I don't think that he does it because he thinks that he needs to. He has had that tendency for a long time. it is almost as if he starts something on stage, gets bored with it, and then moves on to something else, gets bored, and then starts fooling around by imitating other guitarists for 20-second spells. I have seen him live when he literally never played a single song from start to finish. On the other hand, there are still nights when he takes care of business from start to finish. That is just his nature.

I don't think that he does it because he thinks that he needs to. He has had that tendency for a long time. it is almost as if he starts something on stage, gets bored with it, and then moves on to something else, gets bored, and then starts fooling around by imitating other guitarists for 20-second spells. I have seen him live when he literally never played a single song from start to finish. On the other hand, there are still nights when he takes care of business from start to finish. That is just his nature.

I saw Buddy a few weeks ago at the House of Blues. It was pretty good, definitely the best Buddy Guy concert I'd seen in a good while, he mostly stuck to complete songs, and even played a couple from the new album (I wish he had played more from the new recording). I sure miss the three guitar band he used to have in the 1980s, with Steve Ditzell and Geoge Blaze, and Ray Allison on drums. That was a great band.