Some upcoming Verve releases

RDK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sittin' In is a masterpiece and Sweets (with Ben Webster) is not far behind.

Beyond that I am looking forward to the Al Cohn side.

I have been "itching" for a reissue of "Sweets" ever since I ruined my copy of the LP by putting it close to a wall radiiator in Canada about 30 years ago ... I could only play the last two tracks on each side ... I truly love that album!

Now when will Verve reissue "Ellis in Wonderland" ... a great Herb Ellis date with very similar sounds. ..

Several of the latest sets, beginning with the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band, and drawing on Verve material have been issued both by Mosaic and Verve. The Verve edition is unnumbered, and might well primarily have been intended for release outside the US. The number of sets made,i 10 000, is more than Mosaic would usually do on their own.

So I suppose some kind of deal has been made, probably that Mosaic gets to mine the Verve vaults, in return, Verve gets to make some money by selling the set outside the US, where the sales won't hurt Mosaic too much.

Yet for some reason the Verve issue of the Tal Farlow set is being widely distributed in the US at an incredibly low price. Caiman--through Amazon--now has it for $47.83 (plus $2.49 shipping), and says they have SIXTY COPIES in stock here. I'm still scratching my head over this deal :huh: , but really enjoying the set I purchased from them. :tup

Nor mine, but I can't believe that Mosaic would license material that is about to be released by the licensee. Conversely, I find it difficult to believe that Verve would give Mosaic a license to issue something they are about to reissue themselves.

Deduction: We must be talking about the Mosaic set. B-)

Chris,

Didn't you do the booklet copy for this Mosaic Basie?

Nor mine, but I can't believe that Mosaic would license material that is about to be released by the licensee. Conversely, I find it difficult to believe that Verve would give Mosaic a license to issue something they are about to reissue themselves.

Deduction: We must be talking about the Mosaic set.  B-)

Chris,

Guilty!

Deduction: We must be talking about the Mosaic set.  B-)

Chris,

Guilty!

This information will be widely disseminated! :D:tup

Well, my last hope for Jazz SACDs was UMG and now I see this list is totally devoid of any SACD hybrids. Time to cue the bugle boy... well, I prefer "Taps" with the echo so, cue the bugle boys.

Bummer,

Kevin

Uni is supposed to have a SACD announcement in April, as the rumour goes ... SInce they've tended to lump the SACD release seperate from the catalog reissues there still may be some hope .... Hey I said some hope :w

For me, it's not that it sucks.  It's awful damned funny.  But it is less "interesting" than the Impulses and (partly because) it has been out on cd a few times (or at least once, from Japan).

1984 is available as download I believe. Anyhow, let's just hope the release of Psychicemotus is just the start and that they will eventually release them all.

What's still missing?

Live at Peps is out in 2 volumes. (Maybe one of 'em is OOP, but you can still find them.)

The Golden Flute was reissued last year.

1984 is on Japanese CD.

Psychicemotus is coming up (no matter how funny, I will get it).

Anything missing?

Now when will Verve reissue "Ellis in Wonderland" ... a great Herb Ellis date with very similar sounds. ..

Would there be enough Ellis for a Select? The only one widely available is the "Only the Blues One", as far as I know, so...

Bruyninkx lists five Herb Ellis LPs on Verve, and three unissued titles. Should fit on to three CDs.

"Herb Ellis meets Jimmy Giuffre" was on Verve Elite CD.

There are several Savoy titles to come out as well (I'm actually more looking for these on cd, I like the Savoys a hair better).

The Savoy material is a bit of a mess, it took me some time to see through it all. That 2CD set that came out some time ago wasn't the brightest light shining on otherwise unavailable material as it repeated release of the Prayer tt East album, already out there as a Denon disk, and had only half of Sounds of Nature, which is otherwise unavailable (?). Of course it did a good job in bringing The Dreamer and Fabric of Jazz out there.

The earlier albums (Jazz Mood & Jazz for Thinkers) could do with the Stablemates bonus material as released on the 2LP set Morning.

Lon, what is coming out where and when?

An "Ice" magazine from a couple of months ago listed several Verve SACD hybrids - Wes Montgomery's "California Dreaming," a Bill Evans, Charlie Parker - several more titles - for January. The next issue said they were bumped to April. But, as noted above, they seem to have disappeared.